Steve Bruce

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't really want him to be fair Hull have been much like us inconsistent a lot of the Hull fan's when reading there paper didn't want him much of the season. Reading his quotes etc through there bad patch towards the end of the season were pretty worrying. 

PistoldPete2

Was just thinking of him when I was wondering why we haven't heard anything... Someone whose season hasn't ended yet. 

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

There you go. You usually find stuff in the last place you look.

You would be pretty dumb if you carried on looking after you've found what you were looking for. So yes, you always do find something in the last place you look. 

33 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

I wouldn't really want him to be fair Hull have been much like us inconsistent a lot of the Hull fan's when reading there paper didn't want him much of the season. Reading his quotes etc through there bad patch towards the end of the season were pretty worrying. 

He'd be higher up my list than some of the names mentioned but I agree that our problem has been the team not turning up to certain games and you could argue that Hull have been even worse than us at exactly that seeing as they have the stronger squad on paper - and they were just as bad in their home playoff semi as we were in ours.

I wouldn't mind Bruce, but his appointment would cause a lot of problems.

His record of achieving promotions is superb. His teams are generally very efficient and do just enough to win, and get just enough points to get promoted.

However, his football is often dire to watch - his style is very reminiscent of Nigel Clough's 'bunker' tactics. Nigel often played some very attractive stuff, but when he came under pressure he quickly reverted to negative, safety first tedium. Bruce tends to play that way as a matter of course, but he's actually brilliant at making it effective, whereas Nigel was not.

Then there's the issue of our squad. Not many of our players would fit into a Steve Bruce team. Appointing Bruce would require a complete squad rebuild. Looking into my ever unreliable crystal ball, I'd say that appointing Bruce would mean writing off next season as a transitional one, with promotion likely the following season. Would that promotion party be worth the yawn-fest to get there? 

Archived