133,163 views of the cart, but what about the horse?

Half fan

Thank you all for devoting some time to the horse instead of to the cart! It's much harder to do so, as is clear from the contributions to this thread, but still essential IMHO.

Recalling Einstein's defintion of insanity, only the cart Mel selects and how he drives it, will indicate Mel's sanity. Let's hope the wheels do not come off again.

"Those who do not learn the lessons of history" etc. Only time will indicate if Mel has done so.

Come On You Chairman!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Thank you all for devoting some time to the horse instead of to the cart! It's much harder to do so, as is clear from the contributions to this thread, but still essential IMHO.

Recalling Einstein's defintion of insanity, only the cart Mel selects and how he drives it, will indicate Mel's sanity. Let's hope the wheels do not come off again.

"Those who do not learn the lessons of history" etc. Only time will indicate if Mel has done so.

Come On You Chairman!

I believe MM has only had one full season as the outright owner? And made the play offs despite changing managers half way through.

One lesson of history of course, would be to pick a relatively untried and inexperienced manager and his equally inexperienced sidekick from a League 2 side (Division 4 in old money), who would only lead us to glory after a difficult start.

Another would be to wander down the A52 and pick up their manager (if they had one), also relatively inexperienced

Sometimes experience isn't the only important factor. Or strategies. Sometimes as Chairman you have to do your best to pick the right person, support them and let them get on with it.

Darren Wassall is a very nice guy. he has done his very best. He missed a chance at Wembley by one goal. He got us playing the kind of football that we wanted to play. He could not stop us having inexplicably bad days. Neither could Clough,  Maclaren or Clement. Mel will decide and we will see if it works. 

All very well laid out in true corporate professional style .. It would be churlish not to agree but I can't help feeling that it is this kind of managementese that stultifies everything. I appreciate a business needs an HR department and a reporting structure but that is pretty obvious to anyone with a bit of common sense. 

What we REALLY need for both cart AND horse is a leader or leaders with the vision, skill and charisma that all concerned want to follow. All the rest of the OP, while agreeing it is good business practice, is a bit like the how to boil an egg .. 

1) put pan on stove

2) switch on stove 

I am a motivated team player and self starter with a proven track record in multiple disciplines. A target driven ownership taker possessing innovative blue sky thinking along with a high degree of technical awareness. A first class communicator with top drawer and IT skills who welcomes diversity and equal opportunity in an inclusive and forward thinking manner, all while remaining customer focussed profit line driven and aware of my responsibility to the community at large. :ph34r:  ( not an awful lot of this is true but it is in print and on a nice letterhead so .... ) 

Archived