133,163 views of the cart, but what about the horse?

Half fan

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely you could have squeezed in a few more bits of business jargon to make the post "appear" more sensible. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst I understand the post, just because we as fans do not know all of the answers, it does not mean that things are not being run correctly behind the scenes. I very much doubt someone as successful as MM does not know how to run a business.

I also think a lot of the points you raise have been answered many times but for some reason, many just choose to ignore the explanations.

In case you hadn't noticed, Tamworthram, DCFC is a business, as shown by the existence of the Financial Fair Play Rules.

And to dismiss Objectives, Strategy, Culture and Modus Operandi as business jargon is ludicrous. Any business person knows that you ignore these at your peril.

So why am I concerned about them at DCFC? Here is the answer.

Under our last three 'field bosses', all with some good achievements on their CVs, our club has failed to return to the Premier League, most recently despite many millions being spent to try and achieve this.

And despite the three different bosses, despite the investment, despite the skill of our players,and despite our match attendace figures, the team has failed too many times to win important matches for three seasons.

Ian Holloway is obviously despised by some of us, but he knows more about football clubs than we do and his verdict on our failure v Hull in the first leg was "that there is something wrong AT THE CLUB". If the "something wrong" was visible on the field, he would have told us what it was. But he perceives that the failings are behind the scenes at the club, not solely on the pitch.

Having worked in many businesses, I know that it is how employees perceive the leadership and the culture it creates that really matter - especially when consistency of performance is the apparent problem. Inconsistency - when staff sometimes fail to perform to their potential - is a symptom of disrespected leadership.

When Tesco was successful, Terry Leahy received the plaudits. When it failed, Phil Clarke received the sack - though if he had owned as much of Tesco's shares as Mel does of DCFC's, he would probably have survived a bit longer. His failings were that he got rid of the wrong managers and failed to win the confidence and respect of the others. He wasn't sacked because of what was on the shelves (aka our players) but because of how he led the business behind the shelves - and the resulting figures didn't lie. Much as failing to be promoted for three seasons when promotion was expected, doesn't lie either.

And I surely do not have to give examples of how many leaders have succeeded in one business, only to fail in the next one.

Until someone answers the questions "What IS our objective, what IS our strategy", and describes a Culture and Modus Operandi which can be admired and respected by stakeholders and opinion formers, I will continue to fear that history will repeat itself for a fourth time.

Meantime, i wonder how the Chairman of Burton Albion has achieved so much. Could it be because he has created a club culture which has succeeded with three different managers? Rather than failed with three different managers.

Oh how boring, Half Fan. DO let's get back to our opinions on who will be the next manager, it's so much more fun.

OK, have it your own way. But I'm still worried about the ship's rivets and I'm not sure we should be focussing on the layout of the deck chairs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

@half fan 

I'm West stand. I'm not mute. Come and issue me with a happy clapper, and see how you get on. 

Leicester seemed to get on quite well with them.

I wondered who was shouting behind me the other week!

4 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Ian Holloway is obviously despised by some of us, but he knows more about football clubs than we do and his verdict on our failure v Hull in the first leg was "that there is something wrong AT THE CLUB". If the "something wrong" was visible on the field, he would have told us what it was. But he perceives that the failings are behind the scenes at the club, not solely on the pitch

After we beat them in the second leg, and played much better football, what was his verdict?

Is every loss because there is something wrong at the club? Liverpool in the Europa final for example? Was that because there was something wrong at the club or was it the pressure getting to the players?

9 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Ian Holloway is obviously despised by some of us, but he knows more about football clubs than we do and his verdict on our failure v Hull in the first leg was "that there is something wrong AT THE CLUB". If the "something wrong" was visible on the field, he would have told us what it was. But he perceives that the failings are behind the scenes at the club, not solely on the pitch.

you clearly wasn't listening to Holloway then. He quite clearly said it was ON the pitch and the reaction of the PLAYERS.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The reason PC was sacked was not due to underperforming in his role per se but due to refusing to realign his philosophy to that which the club wanted him to follow, not sure that bringing Harry in would change that.

As I have stated in other threads "The Derby way" was first used as a sound bite on the 8/9th February this year and until then it's B077ocks to say anything more. Every word said since makes it look like PC was on the wrong end of Hubris; unless he did something wrong which was personal.

Even if PC was not doing the "right" things (footballing wise)  we could have course corrected but there was never an intention to let this happen as I think the relationship with the chair had deteriorated too far. the@Half fan's conclusions are realistic. Just let's hope that MM has learnt from this because if my summation is  correct then the next manager if he has an ego too, could seriously derail the whole party going forward so relationship management up the tree is going to be key. Something that DW was overly conscious about, I feel, hence is patronising post match interviews.

7 minutes ago, Joe. said:

After we beat them in the second leg, and played much better football, what was his verdict?

I think he said and the press said that the team felt personally embarrassed. Sounds like a good reason to focus.

10 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Until someone answers the questions "What IS our objective, what IS our strategy", and describes a Culture and Modus Operandi which can be admired and respected by stakeholders and opinion formers, I will continue to fear that history will repeat itself for a fourth time.

I'm not really sure what more you want MM to say above what he's already been said.

Promotion is the objective, and achieving it whilst adding value to current players as well as bringing through our own young players. So when it is achieved we are a club in the ascendancy.

He wants a club that operates the same from top to bottom so transitions are smooth and any staff leaving does not have a major detrimental effect.

I would say MM deviated from his own strategy early last season but it was very early in his tenure and maybe he wanted to show he would put his money where his mouth is, a mistake in my opinion but done in the best interests of the club.

Beyond this not really sure what more you want to hear?

6 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Is every loss because there is something wrong at the club? Liverpool in the Europa final for example? Was that because there was something wrong at the club or was it the pressure getting to the players?

How surprising that players feel under pressure for a big match! Who'd have thought it?

I seem to remember Clough Senior had a way of taking the pressure OFF the players. The beer he gave them was probably from Tesco. That's the role of good leadership - farsighted, canny and respected. What you see on the shelves is a function of the leadership behind them.

My fears rest on three seasons of failure, not on every loss which like you say (sorry about that) is inevitable.

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you clearly wasn't listening to Holloway then. He quite clearly said it was ON the pitch and the reaction of the PLAYERS.

Sorry, I was quoting from the Derby Telegraph. There he does indeed criticise the players' lack of character - but he goes on to wonder what's wrong at the club.

22 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

As I have stated in other threads "The Derby way" was first used as a sound bite on the 8/9th February this year and until then it's B077ocks to say anything more. Every word said since makes it look like PC was on the wrong end of Hubris; unless he did something wrong which was personal.

Even if PC was not doing the "right" things (footballing wise)  we could have course corrected but there was never an intention to let this happen as I think the relationship with the chair had deteriorated too far. the@Half fan's conclusions are realistic. 

There is a big sign up at Moor Farm which says 'The Derby Way', MM was pictured in front of it in various newspaper articles prior to February, so to say that it had never been thought of before is incorrect.

How much this philosophy was sold to PC we will never know but MM said he had 3 or 4 meetings with PC to discuss this, so once again to say that PC was not given chance to correct this would appear to be incorrect.

There's a sign on the A52 called the Brian Clough way. The Derby Way was never mentioned before, and in this interview MM does not dwell please let me remind you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35524122

Interestingly in the original interview I remember when TDW was mentioned I now cannot find this even on DuckDuckgo. I hope someone can find that video please.

24 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

There's a sign on the A52 called the Brian Clough way. The Derby Way was never mentioned before, and in this interview MM does not dwell please let me remind you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35524122

Interestingly in the original interview I remember when TDW was mentioned I now cannot find this even on DuckDuckgo. I hope someone can find that video please.

Maybe not mentioned to you but I doubt some just graffitied it on the wall at Moor Farm without reason.

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe not mentioned to you

@G Star  - stop towing the company line and Get a Life. The Derby Way was before MM. He remembered (the sign) it for the BS interview.  Great soundbite though.

I am (on record) as not anti MM, just that the PC leaving scenario was the most fabricated BS in the history of this club. I do find it odd though that you cannot trace some of the original BS MM interviews, which is to say the least, kind of scary for a football club (probably wrong searches). BTW paranoia ain't my bit as I'm too chilled for that, so please find that "Derby Way" Interview and then we can say whether it was a sign from 3 years ago or a soundbite constructed on the day.

2 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

@G Star  - stop towing the company line and Get a Life. The Derby Way was before MM. He remembered (the sign) it for the BS interview.  Great soundbite though.

I am (on record) as not anti MM, just that the PC leaving scenario was the most fabricated BS in the history of this club. I do find it odd though that you cannot trace some of the original BS MM interviews, which is to say the least, kind of scary for a football club (probably wrong searches). BTW paranoia ain't my bit as I'm too chilled for that, so please find that "Derby Way" Interview and then we can say whether it was a sign from 3 years ago or a soundbite constructed on the day.

So enlighten us all and tell us the real reason then...

As for your second paragraph, I really have no idea what you are going on about.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So enlighten us all and tell us the real reason then...

I cannot because I am not an insider but all I can say is that on the 8th Feb when the PC sacking was announced on Radio Derby, it all sounded awry. My personal view is,  - was this something that would get you sacked from a normal company (for example, a relationship with a senior execs partner) or a complete ego argument with an exec who knows business but not how to manage football? One or maybe a bit of both? I would like to know because if it was the latter but then it would not be TDW but TMM way. It is this bit that concerns me moving forward with any rigorously professional manager that may take over the DCFC ropes. Will he die at birth with the first debate?

In my final paragraph I am saying that a video interview was made early on that MM espoused TDW. I cannot trace it.

The Derby Way was a slogan on the walls at Moor farm in June 2015 and spoken about by MM at that time.

PC was there as well but he probably just thought it was the usual corporate bs that companies like to make up for marketing reasons.

There is a big sign up at Moor Farm which says 'The Derby Way', MM was pictured in front of it in various newspaper articles prior to February, so to say that it had never been thought of before is incorrect.

I don't doubt this but it was never used historically as a soundbite until 9/2/16, so to me it was more of a  poster than an outright philosophy that warranted a sacking.

How much this philosophy was sold to PC we will never know but MM said he had 3 or 4 meetings with PC to discuss this, so once again to say that PC was not given chance to correct this would appear to be incorrect.

We have never heard this (his) side of the story so we cannot say, once again these are MM words.

My point is, PR is propaganda and to make a view we need to evidence both versions; so far we have one version and there lies the rub.

6 hours ago, Lokidoki said:

I don't doubt this but it was never used historically as a soundbite until 9/2/16, so to me it was more of a  poster than an outright philosophy that warranted a sacking.

We have never heard this (his) side of the story so we cannot say, once again these are MM words.

My point is, PR is propaganda and to make a view we need to evidence both versions; so far we have one version and there lies the rub.

See post above by @uttoxram75

I think if MM was spouting lies then PC would be fighting his corner.

14 hours ago, Rampage said:

If Pearson becomes manager and one of his players goes missing during a game, a conversation may go like this:

Q1. You went missing this afternoon .......... Are you injured? - No.    

Q2. What is your excuse?  I have not got one. 

Q3. Do you want to leave as soon as possible or do you want one more chance? There is no room for 'balloon heads' here. We are going for promotion this season. Duh

I would like Pearson to get the job and to get some interview technique training. He will get us promoted, which is what I want. You cannot have everything from a manager, but promotion is high on my list.

Q4. Are you flexible enough to bury your head in the sand ?, 

Q5. Are you an ostrich ?

Archived