My addiction vlog

Mafiabob

Just wanted to take time to share that I'm doing a vlog on my gambling addiction. Most of you are aware that I have a problem. 

With the fantastic response I had on Twitter with my blog and coming out publicly, and with people asking to share more blog wise..... Thought it was time to make a video, hopefully it'll get through to just one person who might need help, and that'll make it worthwhile. My plan is to regularly update my story and how I am now. First video is my story. Enjoy 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is interested I will be on BBC Radio Derby tomorrow to talk more about my story on the Sally Pepper show 11:15am

40 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Interview went great, should be on BBC Derby Website

Excellent stuff Mafia; I haven't watched your vlog though as I have a fear of beards, which I think relates back to the trauma I suffered when I first thumbed through the Joy of Sex at the age of 11. My first wife had a beard too, which wasn't a problem when she was wearing her balaclava, but she did insist on removing it from time to time.

33 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Excellent stuff Mafia; I haven't watched your vlog though as I have a fear of beards, which I think relates back to the trauma I suffered when I first thumbed through the Joy of Sex at the age of 11. My first wife had a beard too, which wasn't a problem when she was wearing her balaclava, but she did insist on removing it from time to time.

I had a shave today mate, they say I have a face for radio...... And thank you

Brave to tell your story and all the more so that you are keeping it up and remembering your own pain which has to be a huge help and inspiration for others as well as yourself. Big big thumbs up Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 May 2016 at 07:23, Mafiabob said:

Just wanted to take time to share that I'm doing a vlog on my gambling addiction. Most of you are aware that I have a problem. 

With the fantastic response I had on Twitter with my blog and coming out publicly, and with people asking to share more blog wise..... Thought it was time to make a video, hopefully it'll get through to just one person who might need help, and that'll make it worthwhile. My plan is to regularly update my story and how I am now. First video is my story. Enjoy 

I was was aware of your struggle mate only through some comments alluding to the likelihood of you offering advice and an ear on the subject when a young bloke (who, I seem to recall, supported one of the London clubs but had an enormous get out bet on us winning (was it the Brighton playoff game?) so came on to the forum seeking good vibes or something.

As the son of an inveterate gambler myself who, unlike yourself and millions of other addicts, has always refused to seriously acknowledge his problem despite losing God-knows-how-much money, going to prison for fraud as a young man, losing two of my parents' homes, requiring his children to bail him out umpteen times (so that our mother wasn't rendered destitute) and, only last year (aged 75) was found to have been exploiting his position as honorary treasurer by taking cash from my brother's cricket club in a small country town for several years...and, even then, denied it was to gamble.

I well know the depth of courage it takes to confront an addiction, be it to gambling, or drugs or alcohol, or whatever.

Those who look over the precipice and decide to pull back are, in my experience, the most remarkable people I have known.

I'm remarkably fortunate in that my mother raised myself and my siblings to believe, in essence, that we most likely bore the "addictive gene" and so had to take care with our vices.

As an adult now, I understand it better and, unfortunately, the atheist in me cannot find better words to express it than these: "there but, for the grace of God, go I". 

You have my unwavering respect and admiration for your courage mate.

36 minutes ago, RamDon said:

I was was aware of your struggle mate only through some comments alluding to the likelihood of you offering advice and an ear on the subject when a young bloke (who, I seem to recall, supported one of the London clubs but had an enormous get out bet on us winning (was it the Brighton playoff game?) so came on to the forum seeking good vibes or something.

As the son of an inveterate gambler myself who, unlike yourself and millions of other addicts, has always refused to seriously acknowledge his problem despite losing God-knows-how-much money, going to prison for fraud as a young man, losing two of my parents' homes, requiring his children to bail him out umpteen times (so that our mother wasn't rendered destitute) and, only last year (aged 75) was found to have been exploiting his position as honorary treasurer by taking cash from my brother's cricket club in a small country town for several years...and, even then, denied it was to gamble.

I well know the depth of courage it takes to confront an addiction, be it to gambling, or drugs or alcohol, or whatever.

Those who look over the precipice and decide to pull back are, in my experience, the most remarkable people I have known.

I'm remarkably fortunate in that my mother raised myself and my siblings to believe, in essence, that we most likely bore the "addictive gene" and so had to take care with our vices.

As an adult now, I understand it better and, unfortunately, the atheist in me cannot find better words to express it than these: "there but, for the grace of God, go I". 

You have my unwavering respect and admiration for your courage mate.

Thank you so much.

I would have highlighted the whole  paragraph there, but the procrastinator I am (very common behaviour in addiction) I just highlighted the end part.

Im going to GA tonight and if you don't mind I'm going to share this post at start of the meeting as I'm likely to be chairing.

Like the serenity prayer says. I'm trying to have courage to change the things I can.

If I could have kept my compulsive behaviour in check and enjoyed my betting, I would. Now I have to go to GA to keep it in check.

Thank you ?

34 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Thank you so much.

I would have highlighted the whole  paragraph there, but the procrastinator I am (very common behaviour in addiction) I just highlighted the end part.

Im going to GA tonight and if you don't mind I'm going to share this post at start of the meeting as I'm likely to be chairing.

Like the serenity prayer says. I'm trying to have courage to change the things I can.

If I could have kept my compulsive behaviour in check and enjoyed my betting, I would. Now I have to go to GA to keep it in check.

Thank you ?

the hard part is accepting those you cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Archived