Steve coppell - DOF

FrostedRam

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of interest, do you boo at the televsion/cinema if you are not entertained or in a restaurant if you dont like your meal?

If so, who are the boos aimed at?

You must be thick to post this. Cheering/booing are part of the normal conversation at a football ground, though they may also be at the restaurants you go to.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

[...]Cheering/booing are part of the normal conversation at a football ground,[...]

I can't disagree with that, but for me at least, the booing would only ever be directed at the opposition, never my own team - no matter what I thought of their abilities.

55 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but you wouldn't go into a greasy spoon cafe, order the £4 breakfast and then moan cos you wasn't eating Quail eggs..poached, would you?

You know what you're getting when you buy a ticket to watch Derby. CHAMPIONSHIP football. If your expectations exceed that, then simply, your expected standards are the problem, and not the service or quality served.

You can only moan if the team isn't competitive, other than that, the style, the result, the performance, the score, the line-up, the substitution, the officiating, the weather, the atmosphere, the shade of grass, the playing surface, the colour of the away kit.... etc etc etc etc is NOT guaranteed.

Erm yes I would, if that's what was on the menu.

Did you when you renewed your season ticket, get the lovely email about how life would be so great under our new leader Paul Clement etc etc, and when you shelled out over half a grand to renew, feel that you couldn't have a moan when we wasn't hitting the standards that was set out at the start of the season.  It seems Mel wasn't happy either, and showed his discontent with a visit to the dressing room and removal of the manager a few weeks later.

My expectations didn't exceed Championship football, I knew once the decision was made to employ the u21 coach that we would be playing championship football again this year, and still renewed.  I can therefore moan at anything I like, obviously you sit there, clapping and cheering all the time, shelling out money to go visit them home and away without ever complaining about a thing, similar I'm sure to the days under Nigel Clough, however I'm honest in my assessment of my support, and whilst I'm not going to shout anything negative whilst watching the game, I appreciate that others have the right to do so.

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Erm yes I would, if that's what was on the menu.

Did you when you renewed your season ticket, get the lovely email about how life would be so great under our new leader Paul Clement etc etc, and when you shelled out over half a grand to renew, feel that you couldn't have a moan when we wasn't hitting the standards that was set out at the start of the season.  It seems Mel wasn't happy either, and showed his discontent with a visit to the dressing room and removal of the manager a few weeks later.

My expectations didn't exceed Championship football, I knew once the decision was made to employ the u21 coach that we would be playing championship football again this year, and still renewed.  I can therefore moan at anything I like, obviously you sit there, clapping and cheering all the time, shelling out money to go visit them home and away without ever complaining about a thing, similar I'm sure to the days under Nigel Clough, however I'm honest in my assessment of my support, and whilst I'm not going to shout anything negative whilst watching the game, I appreciate that others have the right to do so.

you do realise this is sport, and every week you play another set of professionals with their own agenda and who's also quite like to win?

49 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You must be thick to post this. Cheering/booing are part of the normal conversation at a football ground, though they may also be at the restaurants you go to.

Yes, I am very thick.

Booing has never been part of the normal conversation where I sit but there again I don't sit amongst the neanderthals who think making some noise like that is going to improve the teams performance...thank goodness.

I can't afford to go to restaurants, I am poor as well as thick.

You didn't answer whether you booed at the cinema or not by the way?

44 minutes ago, Duracell said:

And you must be unwise to post this - it's a forum. We're here to exchange opinions and have a debate.

Absolutely no need at all.

Impoliteness aside he's got a point though.

Needing to have the difference between booing at human beings who are present and people on a TV screen explained to you does necessitate a certain degree of thickness. Some dogs can work this out on their own.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

you do realise this is sport, and every week you play another set of professionals with their own agenda and who's also quite like to win?

I do, however Im sorry I don't understand your point ? 

17 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Impoliteness aside he's got a point though.

Needing to have the difference between booing at human beings who are present and people on a TV screen explained to you does necessitate a certain degree of thickness. Some dogs can work this out on their own.

Ok forget the tv/cinema and change it to the theatre. The point was that they boo because they are not entertained?

Am I therefore to assume that they believe that booing will solve this and entertainment will be instantly provided?

Trying to think of instances where this has worked in the past.

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I always find that booing a player who is low on confidence does wonders to rectify the situation and I'm surprised others haven't thought of it.:p

Yeah seem to remember it worked real well for Christie, then he went away with Ireland and everything seemed to reverse, odd that! If only the National team hadn't have interfered eh. 

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Yeah seem to remember it worked real well for Christie, then he went away with Ireland and everything seemed to reverse, odd that! If only the National team hadn't have interfered eh. 

I told my mate Adrian (think DEL, but supporting Liverpool and Ireland with a passion instead of the far superior Derby and England) that Christie needed a good booing-to in order to make him remember which side his bread was buttered, that he earns x thousand a week, that Derby fans paid his wages (or something), that he ought to thank his lucky stars he doesn't play for Coventry, something something down t'pit etc etc drone.

I don't know for sure whether he gave him what for, but recent performances seem to imply that he must have.

The power of negative thnking.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok forget the tv/cinema and change it to the theatre. The point was that they boo because they are not entertained?

Am I therefore to assume that they believe that booing will solve this and entertainment will be instantly provided?

Trying to think of instances where this has worked in the past.

Don't think I want to be dragged in to this. My argument is always that market forces have inevitable consequences and arguing against them is akin to arguing against nature.

The more money in football (and we largely have the players to thank for this) then the more of a consumer culture will ensue.

And though they don't boo, people do complain when they receive a poor service.

34 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I do, however Im sorry I don't understand your point ? 

Paying for a ticket does not equal a guarantee of good football or results. 

Restaurant analogy was used... It's the equivalent of having 11 chefs who are perfectly constructing the menu as set out by the restaurant owner... And that's what you're paying for... But there's actually 11 other people back there who are taking a dump on every plate to try and stop you making a wonderful meal. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Booing the opposition or a bad reffing decision yes sure ... But while you are ALLOWED to boo your own team I think it is only a certain sort of "fan" that actually does that .. Yes .. You can hold your head in your hands and groan, you can cuss and swear ... But booing as part of a mob is (IMO) completely different .. It's kicking your own man when he's on the floor .. It isn't frustration or anger .. It's base, low, cheap cowardly and not what my idea of being a fan and a supporter is. 

PS .. You'll gather from the above that I don't like booing ?

10 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Don't think I want to be dragged in to this. My argument is always that market forces have inevitable consequences and arguing against them is akin to arguing against nature.

The more money in football (and we largely have the players to thank for this) then the more of a consumer culture will ensue.

And though they don't boo, people do complain when they receive a poor service.

Thats strange because I'm sure you commented on it!

Do people complain if they are not entertained at the theatre or cinema? I really wouldn't know.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Paying for a ticket does not equal a guarantee of good football or results. 

Restaurant analogy was used... It's the equivalent of having 11 chefs who are perfectly constructing the menu as set out by the restaurant owner... And that's what you're paying for... But there's actually 11 other people back there who are taking a dump on every plate to try and stop you making a wonderful meal. 

i didn't think anyone has said it does, I certainly don't think I have.

If we get beat by the opposition, who are a better quality then I can accept that, beaten but played well fair enough, tactically outplayed as well can be added to that list.  However beating yourself as the result of playing the wrong players in positions they aren't effective in, deploying tactics that don't play to your strengths and not reacting to an adverse situation then your owner may as well be taking the first dump on your plate.

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Booing the opposition or a bad reffing decision yes sure ... But while you are ALLOWED to boo your own team I think it is only a certain sort of "fan" that actually does that .. Yes .. You can hold your head in your hands and groan, you can cuss and swear ... But booing as part of a mob is (IMO) completely different .. It's kicking your own man when he's on the floor .. It isn't frustration or anger .. It's base, low, cheap cowardly and not what my idea of being a fan and a supporter is. 

PS .. You'll gather from the above that I don't like booing ?

@DRBee has every right, as a customer, to be dissatisfied with what he perceives to be a sub-standard product when it is served up for his delectation, and to consequently boo players, managers, substitutions etc in order to express that viewpoint. Equally I have every right to think that he's a complete and utter head-the-ball if he thinks that it is ever going to have a positive effect. It's not even good practice from an anger management perspective.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thats strange because I'm sure you commented on it!

Do people complain if they are not entertained at the theatre or cinema? I really wouldn't know.

Yes and I'm not sure I want to get dragged into it. There's no contradiction. You've never said something and wished you hadn't?

I've had this debate before. It's a load of people making value judgments about others when they don't know enough about them, applying Roy of the Rovers era football fandom to a new consumerist era. 

Yes they complain to their friends, colleagues and online.

They tell people not to bother seeing a certain film. People who call themselves critics write reviews. Enough negative ones can potentially cost the people who made the film millions of pounds. There are food critics too for your restaurants.

Archived