England cricket 2016

froggg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the lunchtime thing yesterday about Robin Jackman and the England tour of the West Indies? (Jackman had played in South Africa on a regular basis)

There was a discussion after between Michael Holding and David Gower about England refusing to play against Packer players in Pakistan before that tour. Holding asked Gower, 'What was worse Packer and Apartheid?' and Gower, to the astonishment of Holding (and me) replied, 'Well, you tell me.'

Didn't see/hear that Andy, but for some odd reason it brought to mind an incident some years ago when Kim Barnett played for Derbyshire.

Every winter he used to go to South Africa to coach youngsters from all backgrounds.

The Derby City Council were so (politically) incensed at Barnett working in South Africa that they removed all the road signs pointing to the Derbyshire Cricket Ground. (Don't ask). The only result it achieved was that the national press cricket correspondents occaisionally commented on the  difficuly of finding the cricket ground.

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Cook bowled by Amir 

England 210-2 at tea. 

Was it my eyes, or did that ball seem to keep very low?

Archived