Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

Been browsing YouTube videos while I'm supposed to be revising and saw this pop up, thought it was worth a watch and really enjoyed it. Just shows how well Chris links our play together, the sheer amount of flick ons and layoffs in the video are amazing, add that to the quality of the flick ons and it reminds you how good and technical he is. The fact that a goal return of 15 throughout the season having created more chances than any other player in the championship is considered a bad season for him just shows his ability

For what it's worth I do think we need another striker to add another dimension/unpredictability, someone who can run in behind (try weimman at striker maybe) for when he's not fit or not on his game. But for now I thought this video was worth sharing to remind people that he's one of the best strikers to have worn a Derby shirt in a while

all credit goes to DCFC Ryan for the video

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin is class and I don't suppose he never feels he's not either. He's got a healthy arrogance and nonchalance which you need up front. He'll be back banging em in next season providing he gets the chances. Plus he scores a fair few 'beauties' of his own making too. 

Martin on his day is brilliant. No doubt about it.

But otherwise he isn't. It's not always his fault, Saturday for example when he was yelling for the team to push up and nobody listened.

Unfortunately it may be time to sell and get some money for him while we can. I think his best days are behind him.

Can we ever play Martin in a 2 up side?

It's never been persevered with at Derby when it's been briefly tried. If he could manage that we could be onto a real winner with I think all our wide forwars thinking they should/could/would be centre forwards?

If we could, shifting between 4-4-2 variations and 4-3-3 in games could really throw open previously tricky doors.

E.g. 4-3-3 isn't working with Russell and Weimann in a match, Bringing on Ince, Bent, Camara or Blackman could shift to two up, or not, or go back with the second forward taking up the wing again as needed?

That's if Martin can do that and still be effective.

As for the criticism, he has the knack for looking awful whilst still doing a lot of good. Sort of reverse Dawkins (looking good without doing much)

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's never been persevered with at Derby when it's been briefly tried. If he could manage that we could be onto a real winner with I think all our wide forwars thinking they should/could/would be centre forwards?

If we could, shifting between 4-4-2 variations and 4-3-3 in games could really throw open previously tricky doors.

E.g. 4-3-3 isn't working with Russell and Weimann in a match, Bringing on Ince, Bent, Camara or Blackman could shift to two up, or not, or go back with the second forward taking up the wing again as needed?

As for the criticism, he has the knack for looking awful whilst still doing a lot of good. Sort of reverse Dawkins (looking good without doing much)

The season Clough was sacked, we were playing a front two before he left if I remember rightly, with him and Russell. Obviously the form was pretty mixed but they did okay together, think both had scored a reasonable amount.

@RadioactiveWaste think your onto something, what annoys me is how set on 433 people are when it hasn't got us up for 3 seasons now. And they will argue we play two up top and it rarely works when Bent comes on, forgetting we resort to hoofball because we have 5 minutes left so we've still not seen the hold up play with a pacey striker playing off him. 

54 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Id love to see him play with someone like Andre Gray call me old fashioned but I love a 442 with a Martin type and a pacey striker playing off them. 

Agreed. I'd love to see someone quick up alongside him hanging on the last man. Maybe Weimann?

2 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

Been browsing YouTube videos while I'm supposed to be revising and saw this pop up, thought it was worth a watch and really enjoyed it. Just shows how well Chris links our play together, the sheer amount of flick ons and layoffs in the video are amazing, add that to the quality of the flick ons and it reminds you how good and technical he is. The fact that a goal return of 15 throughout the season having created more chances than any other player in the championship is considered a bad season for him just shows his ability

For what it's worth I do think we need another striker to add another dimension/unpredictability, someone who can run in behind (try weimman at striker maybe) for when he's not fit or not on his game. But for now I thought this video was worth sharing to remind people that he's one of the best strikers to have worn a Derby shirt in a while

all credit goes to DCFC Ryan for the video

at 2:08, that fat woman behind the goal trying to put Martin off before he sticks it top corner will never get old. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think he could be paired with a 2nd striker , I've often thought he might play well in the whole behind a quicker striker , from that position he could still do his ecmxcellent hold up play but we wouldn't be missing the pace up top I think we've been missing in some games this season . Sort of playing a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 .

We would be mad to sell him with the right service on his day he is unplayable. He scored so many this season even when he wasn't being utilised by Clement. His assist though this season have been instrumental in getting us this far.

Top video, it highlights why I will never slag the guy off he's too draw! The problem is we can be too 1 dementional, the flick ons and quick passing is fantastic to watch if it works, what we need is a second option of raw pace off the bench, if the flicks aren't coming off sometimes you just need to play it over the top, get the defence turned and play off second balls/ mistakes. What we need is like a Theo Robinson upgrade

Archived