When would you expect we'd hear anything ?

RiddingsRam

I wouldn't be totally against a Wassall appointment. But I don't think it'd be an inspiring choice. I think we'd have a decent season and perhaps make the play offs, but as we know that doesn't guarantee anything. But if we went for somebody like Pearson or Rowett I think we could really run away with this league. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I completely disagree with this, there's a danger in hiring a completely comfortable manager. We don't need a yes man, someone who's going to say yes to everything Mel wants because as much as I respect Mel for what he's doing for our club, he isn't omniscient.

There's a lot of good stuff Mel wants to introduce, but I think we need a new, more experienced manager with a fresh take on things at the club. We need someone who will question the way some things are run at the club if they're not all that they should be, that's what happened when we appointed Sam Rush. We could have appointed someone who already knew the set-up and was a comfortable choice, but Sam Rush completely changed this club for the better because he had higher standards. 

There's also all the obvious points of Wassall not being a big enough name to attract certain players, showing a lot of tactical weaknesses in his time in charge and the massive outcry it would cause from the fans if he was appointed. Also, from the players perspective he's a substitute teacher and there's a reason substitute teachers don't have a regular teaching post.

For a club that's being showing ambition for a few years now, Wassall would be a very in ambitious appointment.

You do make some valid points, but not sure getting a manager in who isn't fully on board with what we want to do is a good idea. Isn't that part of the mistake with Clement? There are aspects of behind the scenes that appear to need improving but with them being behind the scenes it is impossible to know if they have been already, or at least the people behind the faults may have gone. Take the transfers made last summer were they down to Chris Evans? He has gone now. January transfers, Mel has said PC wanted Blackman, he has now gone, who wanted Camara? Olsson? It is something we will have to wait and see if lessons have been learned, I guess.

With the new manager, I don't know who we should go for, not sure on the type, past achievements mean little, as does past failures. All that matters really is that he is the right fit for the club, staff and, most importantly, the players.

2 hours ago, Derbados7 said:

I wouldn't be totally against a Wassall appointment. But I don't think it'd be an inspiring choice. I think we'd have a decent season and perhaps make the play offs, but as we know that doesn't guarantee anything. But if we went for somebody like Pearson or Rowett I think we could really run away with this league. 

What suggests that those two managers would have that sort of immediate impact? 

Leicester finished in the play offs twice before going up under Pearson AND he had his back room staff (they are currently at leicester working with Ranieri) 

Rowett did well with Burton and has done well with Birmingham but nothing to suggest he could inherit our current squad and run away with the league? 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

What suggests that those two managers would have that sort of immediate impact? 

Leicester finished in the play offs twice before going up under Pearson AND he had his back room staff (they are currently at leicester working with Ranieri) 

Rowett did well with Burton and has done well with Birmingham but nothing to suggest he could inherit our current squad and run away with the league? 

Of course there's nothing for sure! I just think both are more sterner type managers, which is possibly what we need. I'd love to see Darren as manager of Derby due to his love of the club and the way he's served us, but I just think he needs more experience throughout the leagues before that. I think Pearson and Rowett would be no nonsense and just grind out the results. Both have a lot more experience and I think that's what we need after this season. Just a personal opinion! 

4 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I completely disagree with this, there's a danger in hiring a completely comfortable manager. We don't need a yes man, someone who's going to say yes to everything Mel wants because as much as I respect Mel for what he's doing for our club, he isn't omniscient.

There's a lot of good stuff Mel wants to introduce, but I think we need a new, more experienced manager with a fresh take on things at the club. We need someone who will question the way some things are run at the club if they're not all that they should be, that's what happened when we appointed Sam Rush. We could have appointed someone who already knew the set-up and was a comfortable choice, but Sam Rush completely changed this club for the better because he had higher standards. 

There's also all the obvious points of Wassall not being a big enough name to attract certain players, showing a lot of tactical weaknesses in his time in charge and the massive outcry it would cause from the fans if he was appointed. Also, from the players perspective he's a substitute teacher and there's a reason substitute teachers don't have a regular teaching post.

For a club that's being showing ambition for a few years now, Wassall would be a very in ambitious appointment.

I (almost) completely agree with FesterRam. I hope Mel has learned from the last two years that he isn't cut out to be an interfering owner.

Do not misunderstand me: Mel has been incredibly generous with his money and his passion for Derby County cannot be faulted. He is fantastic with promoting Derby and building the match day experience and sense of involvement of the fans. (Except when he's talking about his hiring and firing decisions of course.) I hope he proves to be the long-term owner / benefactor the club has deserved for an awfully long time (no criticism of the Americans there either; I've long said their ownership of the club will be looked on in hindsight as a period of incredible development for our club.)

But critical to Mel truly becoming that historic owner for us is him (a) developing an understanding that he needs to make the right hires and just let those people do their jobs; and (b) ensure that his benevolent dictatorship doesn't end up being a one-man show.

Succession planning (ie ensuring that the improvements the club has made on and off the field are so ingrained that there's no question of them not surviving Mel and / or Sam's eventual departures) is absolutely critical if Mel is to achieve his ambitions for Derby County. Hopefully, Mel has now learned that Mel playing the all-seeing, all-knowing, ultra-involved owner-as-fan is not conducive to his ultimate vision.

Wassall did reasonably well in a stand-in capacity (with Redknapp's support) but, seriously, no-one could consider he was doing anything other than a band-aid job in something of an emergency for the club. 

If Mel - or anyone else for that matter - seriously regards Wassall as a candidate for the permanent position, then our 11 from the past 30 seasons in the top flight is going to get a lot worse.

FesterRam said it would be an unambitious appointment. That would be the kindest description I would use. It would definitely be a step or three backwards after we consciously upgraded the head coach's position three years ago.

Besides, Wassall is needed back in the Academy. Hopefully, he can find his way to stay at the club and return to head it up.

As for Ilson's question regarding how ambitious an appointment of Rowett or Pearson would be, I'm inclined to agree on Rowett. I am not suggesting he wouldn't be a good appointment; it's frankly too hard to tell from this distance. But it is a risk though; no-one should doubt that he would be learning on the job a little having run teams in lower leagues and a 'developing' Championship club...a la Clough. Our ambitions would represent an entirely different challenge for him.

I am, however, surprised at him putting Pearson in that bracket. He has, after all, lapped the Championship in winning promotion albeit after a try or two. And you cannot argue he didn't do a good job in keeping Fester up in his first season as a Premiership manager - unlike the jobs he did as a father and in staying out of trouble -  and laying the groundwork for Fester's season this year.

The only problem is that he's pretty much nuts from most accounts.

Why is everyone demanding a quick appointment? Our season end isn't even a week old ffs. Let the men at the top do their due diligence and ensure we get the right man for next season. Pre season doesn't start for over a month, so please, chill out people for your own sakes 

12 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Why is everyone demanding a quick appointment? Our season end isn't even a week old ffs. Let the men at the top do their due diligence and ensure we get the right man for next season. Pre season doesn't start for over a month, so please, chill out people for your own sakes 

Same reason someone respects ITK's. Eagerness to know as much as possible as fast as possible.

Whoever we'll get, the job will likely start 1st of July. If it's Wassall, he'll probably be announced at the same time as some big signing..

28 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Same reason someone respects ITK's. Eagerness to know as much as possible as fast as possible.

Whoever we'll get, the job will likely start 1st of July. If it's Wassall, he'll probably be announced at the same time as some big signing..

Akinfenwa?

I don't think we will here anything regarding s new manager until after June 1st. Because if I'm correct that's when FFP starts again. 

Not being an expert on this. But if e have to pay compensation  before 1st June to a managers club would that push us to close to FFP sanctions?

54 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

To be fair, we have had an interim head coach since 8 February.

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Give Mel and Sam time to speak to Mark Warburton, could be a week maybe two.

Why are you obsessed with Warburton????

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

You forget one thing in your disagreement mm is in charge not Sam rush. 

1 hour ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Because it will take time for a new manager to assess the squad, identify targets, sort out his staff, set the training regime, give his opinion on the pre-season routine/matches and generally get settled in. The earlier planning starts, the more chance there is of hitting the ground running. Being managerless now could easily be the difference between promotion and not.

2 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Over the past few seasons we've looked very professional and done our transfer buisness early (until the weird Johnson thing). We should expect the same with a new manager, when so many other clubs are also looking. You say "Do their due diligence"? They should have had someone in mind before sacking Clement. Otherwise that demonstrates an odd absence of strategy. Mel and Sam have had plenty of time to pick someone and will surely have known it was unlikely Wassall would be the man long term. Whoever comes now needs as long as possible to prepare us for the campaign ahead. Even if a formal announcement can't be made until June 1st, I would hope everything's signed and sealed.

Publicly stating we were going to spend the most vital three months of last season drifting without a permanent manager led me to assume we were waiting for someone special having agreed terms. If we're to maintain the impression of a well run football club, I expect the people running DCFC to deliver. The only reason to wait is if it's for one of the managers at the Euros, presumably O'Neill.

Archived