Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

19 minutes ago, tinman said:

They'll all be with the first team squad today, with the exception of Lowe. Do you want them to play on Friday night then potentially again on the Saturday?

So how else are the players who barely feature able to get match fitness then? Explains why they always pull up with injuries;  thrown straight back into the first team. 

People say we have a bloated squad and yet players who barely feature aren't in the 23s to get game time

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had any intentions of staying up, why would you have loaned arguably the two best players in Rawson and Vernam to a piss poor Coventry side already league two bound?  - they aren't even getting any game time  and are learning nothing being stuck there.

Vernam was scoring for fun, playing behind Mason. Now we are having to bring through kids from the under 18s to make up the numbers, that's how weak we have become since last summer having released or loaned most of the players who got us promotion; Guy, Calero, Koblenz, McDonald, Rawson, Hanson, Vernam. That's a lot of players who have been taken out the squad. Then you have Zanzala with the ACL and Lowe/Mitchell making the first time regularly. Who's replacing these players this season, in a much better division?

Josh Lelan has  been resigned despite Wassall releasing him not so long ago, desperate times.

On 08/04/2017 at 13:24, Papahet said:

If we had any intentions of staying up, why would you have loaned arguably the two best players in Rawson and Vernam to a piss poor Coventry side already league two bound?  - they aren't even getting any game time  and are learning nothing being stuck there.

Vernam was scoring for fun, playing behind Mason. Now we are having to bring through kids from the under 18s to make up the numbers, that's how weak we have become since last summer having released or loaned most of the players who got us promotion; Guy, Calero, Koblenz, McDonald, Rawson, Hanson, Vernam. That's a lot of players who have been taken out the squad. Then you have Zanzala with the ACL and Lowe/Mitchell making the first time regularly. Who's replacing these players this season, in a much better division?

Josh Lelan has  been resigned despite Wassall releasing him not so long ago, desperate times.

Is that the Josh Lelan who was only back on trail having impressed in training and now plays for Crawley Town? 

Why after spending millions and millions on the academy to improve the quality of player, would you bring the same one(s) back who failed to make the grade previously and have done nothing of any note since being released.

Bizarre, you'd surely look for a better quality in a wider region having gained promotion and cat one status. 

Just me though obviously, sorry.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Why after spending millions and millions on the academy to improve the quality of player, would you bring the same one(s) back who failed to make the grade previously and have done nothing of any note since being released.

Bizarre, you'd surely look for a better quality in a wider region having gained promotion and cat one status. 

Just me though obviously, sorry.

Dont be sorry, it'd be a dull forum if we agreed on everything!

Does seem like people dont agree but always interested to hear other opinions. For my part I don't agree but I do wonder how DW does such a massive as Academy Director and is still expected to coach the U23 with just him and Pat Lyons. Unless thats what Des Walker and Craig Short (who I thought had gone but I saw on twitter he was there not long back) do? I'm not clear on their roles at all

Our academy has suffered due to our increased investment in the first team. 

Players aren't getting a chance in the first team because our squad is so bloated.

realistically if investment has kept at the same level as when Clough was here, our first team would probably include Rawson, Hanson, Lowe, Hughes with Elsnik, zanzala and others filling gaps on the bench. 

Instead we've spent 30/40 million on the first team and brought in a lot of players. ThIs just pushes everyone else down the line. 

There is the argument that 'they're not good enough for the first team' but under Clough we were a team aiming for top ten and they would be good enough for that team. It's just because our targets have accelerated due to the increased investment that they're maybe no longer seen as adequate for the first team. This will take time to rectify and to improve our academy to suit a team with higher aspirations. 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

...realistically if investment has kept at the same level as when Clough was here, our first team would probably include Rawson, Hanson, Lowe, Hughes with Elsnik, zanzala and others filling gaps on the bench. 

And is that a good thing for a Premiership push?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

And is that a good thing for a Premiership push?

Who knows? I'm not having anyone tell me that Johnson or Butterfield have been £4/5m more effective in those deeper midfield roles than Hanson. Lowe is already better than Olsson. Based on others' comments about Pearce lately would Rawson be a better option? 

I look at forest and they're a mess but I'm jealous about their academy. They had 5 academy products that had broken through in the last two seasons in their starting line up Saturday. They've been given the chance and they're better than the expensive crap Fawas has bought. That Brereton was the best player on the pitch Saturday for them in a win against 3rd place Huddersfield. 

We'll never know whether Elsnik can do a job unless he's given a go like Hendrick, like Hughes, like Hanson...

38 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Who knows? I'm not having anyone tell me that Johnson or Butterfield have been £4/5m more effective in those deeper midfield roles than Hanson. Lowe is already better than Olsson. Based on others' comments about Pearce lately would Rawson be a better option? 

I look at forest and they're a mess but I'm jealous about their academy. They had 5 academy products that had broken through in the last two seasons in their starting line up Saturday. They've been given the chance and they're better than the expensive crap Fawas has bought. That Brereton was the best player on the pitch Saturday for them in a win against 3rd place Huddersfield. 

We'll never know whether Elsnik can do a job unless he's given a go like Hendrick, like Hughes, like Hanson...

£4-5m better, how much are places in the Championship worth? Not convinced by Hanson or Rawson, Lowe is young and can't stay fit. Where are Forest in the league? Elsnik will get a go if he's good enough, like Hughes and Hendrick were.

Edit: the chances are there, are the players good enough?

35 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Results aren't everything with youth teams. If we go down, it doesn't matter as long as we learn something. 

Generally doesn't matter even if we don't. Although it would be preferred, I agree.

All that matters is retention of Cat One. Although Cat One won't matter if we don't start recruiting youths properly again, as the biggest boon of being Cat One is attracting a better level of youngsters.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

£4-5m better, how much are places in the Championship worth? Not convinced by Hanson or Rawson, Lowe is young and can't stay fit. Where are Forest in the league? Elsnik will get a go if he's good enough, like Hughes and Hendrick were.

Edit: the chances are there, are the players good enough?

We were doing well with Hanson deputising for Thorne for large periods of time. 

We cant know with Rawson because he hasn't had a chance. 

There red haven't been the chances for them at all...

Happily, Leicester lost at home to Liverpool yesterday, so weren't able to pull away. Reading and Leicester still have to play each other. For me, if we're to survive we have to win our next game away against Southampton. Everyone has two to play. We were in decent form but then have just lost two on the bounce against the teams fighting it out for the title.

58f5f26b6ae51_Premier2Table.thumb.JPG.4b8ce4deb0b029dd9bb298b67a102366.JPG

Final fixtures at http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/england/premier-league-2/fixtures/.

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Happily, Leicester lost at home to Liverpool yesterday, so weren't able to pull away. Reading and Leicester still have to play each other. For me, if we're to survive we have to win our next game away against Southampton. Everyone has two to play. We were in decent form but then have just lost two on the bounce against the teams fighting it out for the title.

Final fixtures at http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/england/premier-league-2/fixtures/.

Need to stay up .

How many seniors can we play against the Saints. 

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Do you know where our final home game is? I can't understand the code on the website or how to reserve tickets. Maybe you just turn up? 

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

Need to stay up .

How many seniors can we play against the Saints. 

We don't need to stay up by any means at all.

It'd be nice to continue to test our youngsters against the best but "need" is not the right term.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We don't need to stay up by any means at all.

It'd be nice to continue to test our youngsters against the best but "need" is not the right term.

We need to keep our category 1 academy status so yes staying up would be important but not vital so in that sense you are right we don't need but it would be advantageous to stay up. 

The sentiments i agree with though but this is a one off  

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

We need to keep our category 1 academy status so yes staying up would be important but not vital so in that sense you are right we don't need but it would be advantageous to stay up. 

The sentiments i agree with though but this is a one off  

All div 1 and 2 teams are cat 1

Archived