A perspective and a plea

ilkleyram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, trevor1946 said:

Wow,a great view from a,happy chappy,15 years to go,you are a lucky ,proud of so many millions being wasted,.

Proud of seeing,good people sacked,,proud of, spin,that Glick   ,could only dream off,To be proud of the teams performance against Hull justified,but the over the season with the millions spent on the squad,the season was poor,

Keogh-Bryson-Hendricks-Hughes-Martin-Russell-,Christie,,observation why didn't our ,big money signings.turn up

,Championship is nothing but 2nd division football,and over the last 3 years,many changes have been made,and the bottom line is failure,.if progress had been made,3 Head Coaches would not have been used, And we would not be looking for a

is it a manager or Head Coach,,Be nice if we all had rose tinted glasses,.

But money talks so maybe if we throw enough at it,,  Players moving on,its only the old guard,were money can be made,.

Thorne--Ince-Weiman-Johnson-Butterfield,-Blackman-Camara, 23 million a joke-----Bent--Pearce-Baird,will another club match the wages we pay them.,   , p-s  i like the old soldier routine --flying the flag goes down well,we shall not be moved.

my take recruitment very poor,-team spirit disjoionted

Think most would agree regarding the recruitment part.

These '3 years of failure', what are you comparing them to exactly?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think most would agree regarding the recruitment part.

These '3 years of failure', what are you comparing them to exactly?

The success we had before that. 

I like the way people obsessed with Nigel Clough call us missing out on promotion a failure. 

"ultimately the aim was promotion and we failed".

few questions,

What was the aim under Nigel then? If not promotion (and it is now) then we've made progress, no?

If anything other than promotion is failure then the likes of Bristol City failed. What will Leicester's aim be next season and what would be failure for them? Do all athletes with bronze and silver medals fail? When your kids come 5th on sports day? 

Do we not apply context to anything anymore? 

Why do more Derby fans go to games now than when Sam Rush got here? 

I finally got round to a season ticket 3 years ago having moved to Derby 20 years ago, those first 17 years I was a part time ticket buyer, occasional observer and well you know .. A follower. ... I am now an official half fan .. I have had a fantastic 3 years .. Yes some grey days but as a home game approaches your heart lifts, the expectation is there, you can smell the boiled onions as you pass the burger vans and most times I have leapt from my seat at least once and felt that magic high. 

Nothing like it ! .. Failure ? You have to be kidding just those impostors of sporting triumph and disaster. Now dreams are something different you have to have those .. They don't always come true but in sport you never know .... COYR 

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

I like the way people obsessed with Nigel Clough call us missing out on promotion a failure. 

"ultimately the aim was promotion and we failed".

few questions,

What was the aim under Nigel then? If not promotion (and it is now) then we've made progress, no?

If anything other than promotion is failure then the likes of Bristol City failed. What will Leicester's aim be next season and what would be failure for them? Do all athletes with bronze and silver medals fail? When your kids come 5th on sports day? 

Do we not apply context to anything anymore? 

Why do more Derby fans go to games now than when Sam Rush got here? 

Going back to Clough---,promotion,are yans gonecou joking,his remit was to stabilize the club,and get rid of many players,on big

contracts,to drastically reduce the wage budget,  and put.assets on the field,-Grant-Forsyth-Keogh-Buxton--Eustace-

Ward-Russell-Martin-Brayford=,And gave academy players a chance-Hanson-Hughes-Hendricks,oh forgot Bryson

Perhaps you remember some of them,leaving a fantastic squad,6,million spent in 4 years,,,his  last season 10 th.

Progress was made,,top 6.in his last season.was expected,10 players still with us,from `2013,all with new contracts.

With the hype over the new direction of the club,and the way this fantastic squad performed,,as the season progressed 

all the way to Wembley,this is not about Clough,,We are talking about The last 3 years the changes,with the Americans,

gone,and the massive investment put into the squad,,with no end result.

I see Newcastle have appointed a manager,with responsibility for all football matters,which way will we go,

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 16:24, Reithe glas said:

Great balanced post. Just two little things. It always grates a bit with me when I hear the oft misused shankly quote "football isn't a matter of life and death, it's more important than that". It was obviously a clever joke but just that. There's no way he ever meant it to be taken seriously at any stage and therefore wouldn't have had to change his mind about it. Secondly, while you're dead right to encourage a sense of perspective and cup half full outlook, I'd be worried that our players have too much of it and are happy with their lot in the championship. We're a big enough club to have Premiership ambitions and maybe need a bit of ruthlessness. Other than that, enjoyed your post big time.

Good point about Shankley. Heard a guy on radio who were there when he said it and it was deep in irony. Think it was in part-response to typical media questioning.

Fortunately, the world these days totally gets irony and nuance and when people say something, you can take it with the pinch of salt it was served with. Schyeah.

Love how everyone thinks Johnson/Trump/Farage etc are racists just cos they say racist things. We all know they are just pretending to be racists to get votes, then when in office will pursue policies of love for all.

3 hours ago, trevor1946 said:

Going back to Clough---,promotion,are yans gonecou joking,his remit was to stabilize the club,and get rid of many players,on big

contracts,to drastically reduce the wage budget,  and put.assets on the field,-Grant-Forsyth-Keogh-Buxton--Eustace-

Ward-Russell-Martin-Brayford=,And gave academy players a chance-Hanson-Hughes-Hendricks,oh forgot Bryson

Perhaps you remember some of them,leaving a fantastic squad,6,million spent in 4 years,,,his  last season 10 th.

Progress was made,,top 6.in his last season.was expected,10 players still with us,from `2013,all with new contracts.

With the hype over the new direction of the club,and the way this fantastic squad performed,,as the season progressed 

all the way to Wembley,this is not about Clough,,We are talking about The last 3 years the changes,with the Americans,

gone,and the massive investment put into the squad,,with no end result.

I see Newcastle have appointed a manager,with responsibility for all football matters,which way will we go,

Was that going be NCs remit forever then? I think his remit had changed by time he was sacked. £6million spent in his squad, which was a fair amount compared to other teams and we were sat in 10th when he was sacked.

Speaking of remits, I believe DWs was to get us playing decent football again and keep us in the play off positions, so not sure how he has failed.

If we have one of the top 2 expensive squad and wage bills then not finishing top 2 is a failure, I am not certain that we have either.

Archived