Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

If yesterday is anything to go by, we could be looking at a 5-0-5 formation - five centre-backs hoofing it up to to tall wide men and three gorillas in the middle to pick up the knockdowns.

Sing the Pink Floyd classic with me...

"We don't need no midfield players,

we don't need no skill at all...."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't have been the first position I would have liked to of seen rumoured.. but I guess that means we could/are going to see wholesale changes this summer.

Plus it seems very much like a Nigel Pearson signing and not Harry Redknapp like stated but maybe that is wishful thinking oh my behalf...

Hanley would be a brilliant signing. He's strong, quick enough and commands the back four. He's left footed and can actually pass the ball. He'd be an upgrade on Shackell, and would almost certainly be the new skipper.

That said, surely we can't be stupid enough to go around buying players again this summer without a manager selecting the targets? I suppose the scouts have to occupy their time somehow, but we should be watching - not bidding at the moment. Unless of course the poster who claimed that Wassall had already been given a permanent contract was right.

15 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

This is one of Derby's strongest defences ever in the Championship, even stronger than your beloved Billy Davies side which conceded 3 more.

a) Not strong enough when needing to be strong (ie against the better teams)

b) That Davies side wouldn't have rolled over yesterday.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

a) Not strong enough when needing to be strong (ie against the better teams)

b) That Davies side wouldn't have rolled over yesterday.

4 clean sheets in the league against the top 6.

That Davies side got rolled over by everyone in the Prem.

8 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Yeah? Every game in the league matters.

well in that case, the other 6 games against the top 6 where we didn't keep clean sheets are the reason we need a new defender or two. 

Effectively you agree with me.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well in that case, the other 6 games against the top 6 where we didn't keep clean sheets are the reason we need a new defender or two. 

Effectively you agree with me.

Not really, we have one of the best defences in the league and have a good record over the season as a whole.

30 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Not really, we have one of the best defences in the league and have a good record over the season as a whole.

are you just being somehow argumentative because it's me, or do you really believe that Shackell and Keogh will ever be a promoted partnership?

21 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I think so, if Moore and Leacock can do it why can't Keogh and Shackell?

because neither are calm and composed enough, nor do they have the requisite mental strength. We could carry one weak-minded defender, but a whole back four... no chance.

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

because neither are calm and composed enough, nor do they have the requisite mental strength. We could carry one weak-minded defender, but a whole back four... no chance.

Scott Carson - Promoted before and has plenty of experience

Cyrus Christie - Sill young and been consistent this season

Martin Olsson - Had him for half a season, hardly enough judgement to call him 'weak minded'

Jason Shackell - Experienced pro and has been promoted before with Burnley

Richard Keogh - Has 5 POTY awards from multiple clubs, has represented Ireland in high pressure fixtures like getting a clean sheet against World Champions Germany.

Where is your weal link?

PistoldPete2
35 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I would not call Shackell weak minded. Keogh and Shackell have done well for us. We have a good defensive record. Shackell may not be good creatively , but Leicester have just won the Premier with Huth and Morgan as centre backs , neither of them exactly Franz Beckanbauer.

i

Archived