What would we need to do to do a Leicester?

Rammeister

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

They won the league 13 year ago....in that time, Leicester have been down to division 3, won that, won division two and now won division one....whilst Arsenal have been scraping by on a couple of FA Cups...

They won the league in 2004 so it's 12 years ago. I really can't fathom your argument here. Why are you quoting what Leic have done and still comparing that to Arsenal. If we had Arsenals record for the last 12 years and some city fan came on here and said they were bigger than us, you'd be the first one to tell them they were talking ********.

Are you seriously saying 2 lower league promotions, 1 relegation escape and 1 top flight title makes them better than a team which in that time have also won the league, been fighting for the title for most of them seasons, finished in the top 3 for half of those seasons and played in the CL for the last 17 seasons PLUS won 2 FA cups??.

Like I said they are a top club and their record proves it, are they bigger than Man utd?, no but still a top top club in this country.

I think you either have an issue with Arsenal as a club or your just an argumentative sod ;):p

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Arsenal are 10 points worse off this season than their average at this stage over the last 3 seasons. 

If they have those 10 points, they're on equal points with Leicester. They've been worse this season than they usually are, as has every team that's usually in and around Europe with the exception of spurs. That's just fact. 

I honestly believe that the prem money is now starting to level the field a bit more , the days of only being able to compete with the big clubs by clogging and work rate ( old Stoke way) are disappearing , the level of talent the smaller clubs can attract and keep is rising and when you couple that with getting a good manager to create a team spirit and its lift off ,, it's no fluke that the bigger clubs are becoming less consistent results wise ,, there's some bloody decent side out there now with some decent talent looking to play a bit ,,, I feared for a long time that sky money may kill our game and we become Scottish football but I'm changing my opinion , the money may just be giving us our game back in terms of competitiveness

The general standard of the premier league has decreased dramatically in the last 10 years ago, that's quite evident with the uefa coefficient. The premier league has no real world class players anymore apart from aguero and maybe de bruyne. All the best players play in spain and germany. The old "big 4" would have steamrolled the prem this season with the squads they had back then. 10 years ago Man Utd had the likes of Ronaldo,Van Nistleroy,Scholes,Rooney,Ferdinand, Giggs. Arsenal had the likes of Henry,Van Persie,Pires,Campbell,Ashley Cole,Gilberto. Liverpool had the likes of Gerrard,Alonso,Hypia,Hamman,Moriente.Chelsea had Terry,Lampard,Drogba,Crespo,Makalele, Essien,Galas. Shows how the quality of the top prem teams has gone down

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

General standard of the league is worse. That's been obvious to everyone all season, why not you? 

Sorry, what I mean is that the rubbish teams have just got closer to the better teams...there are teams like Southampton, Swansea, Stoke etc that are capable of beating anyone, the general standard of the "big teams" has dropped off too, but this is to take nothing away from Leicester, they have been the best team in the league by a country mile, if Chelsea or City had done what they have done this year everyone would be saying that the league is boring because of it. 

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

They won the league in 2004 so it's 12 years ago. I really can't fathom your argument here. Why are you quoting what Leic have done and still comparing that to Arsenal. If we had Arsenals record for the last 12 years and some city fan came on here and said they were bigger than us, you'd be the first one to tell them they were talking ********.

Are you seriously saying 2 lower league promotions, 1 relegation escape and 1 top flight title makes them better than a team which in that time have also won the league, been fighting for the title for most of them seasons, finished in the top 3 for half of those seasons and played in the CL for the last 17 seasons PLUS won 2 FA cups??.

Like I said they are a top club and their record proves it, are they bigger than Man utd?, no but still a top top club in this country.

I think you either have an issue with Arsenal as a club or your just an argumentative sod ;):p

I am just pointing out how long ago it was that Arsenal were at the top in England, it's been 12 years since they have actually won anything of significance....in that time Leicester have been down to division 3 and come back and still over taken them. 

And let's not talk about Liverpool ever winning it, since the last time they won it....Peter Schmeical has won it 5 times, had a baby, raised the kid and his child has won it and they are still nowhere near it. (Which is very funny indeed)

4 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

I didn't say Title winners did I?

I said top clubs, Arsenal is a top club in this country, always pushing for either the title or at the very least a top 4 finish, 17 consecutive seasons in the champions league and got to the final 05/06, won the FA cup twice in the last 3 seasons. Playing in a state of the art stadium in front of 60,000 every home game near enough.

Yeah, tin pot club.

Just because they get decent gates doesn't make them a top club....otherwise Sunderland and Newcastle would be too and Bradford would be one of the best in the championship...etc etc 

Need a winning culture and determination second to none. Leicester have that, they have won titles recently and they won the League Cup twice when everyone else was playing weakened sides back 15 years ago roughly. We need that hunger and winning culture here at Derby. When was the last time Derby had the mentality as well as the quality...maybe end of 1990s? Or possibly with the team 2 years ago? When every player was at 100 per cent commitment.

Too much of a losing culture with bad ownership over the last 15years.

Don't think we are a million miles away with current team but not consistently at the level where we could challenge for a title or a trophy.

To have a hope of doing it goes way beyond players and tactics ... It is about having a single unit, a Team spirit from top to bottom. 

I always think of Man U and the treble .. They weren't the best on paper either in the UK or Europe but they worked for each other, and they never gave up .. The Greek Euro winning team had the same ethic. Yes you still need a genius somewhere on the park and you need a healthy streak of luck but when 11 play together then anything is possible (once in a while.)

( some "scare the pants off em" pace up front might help though ! ) 

Archived