17 Nottm Forest       1 - 0   1 - 0

18 Bristol City           4 - 0   2 - 3

19 Huddersfield        2 - 0   1 - 2

20 Rotherham           3 - 0   3 - 3

21 Fulham                 2 - 0   1 - 1

22 Charlton               1 - 1   0 - 1

23 Milton Keynes       0 - 1  1 - 3

24 Bolton                   4 - 1   0 - 0

Scores in bold = 17 points that we might reasonably have gained, We needed 11 of these points to win the League

Any views on this?

So our goal difference from the two games v Hull is better than the GD from our 2 games against any other team, unless we beat Ipswich by more than 5.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign.

Reading the Hull forum, one punter said that from watching our game v Brighton he's deduced we're weak at defending corners and our full backs are often left exposed.

While the latter is true (but necessary), I don't agree with the corner defending. Of all the games I've watched this season in the Champ I haven't seen a team that delivers the ball as well as Brighton. Every set piece was quality. 

Also, they seem to think 'Arry is picking our teams. :lol: I feel so bad for Wassall. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Reading the Hull forum, one punter said that from watching our game v Brighton he's deduced we're weak at defending corners and our full backs are often left exposed.

While the latter is true (but necessary), I don't agree with the corner defending. Of all the games I've watched this season in the Champ I haven't seen a team that delivers the ball as well as Brighton. Every set piece was quality. 

Unlike ours. We do seem incapable of taking decent corners and have been for ages.

Updated Results this season against each team (First table had the Ipswch result wrong)

Home   Away

1 Burnley               0 - 0   4 - 1

2 Middlesbrough   1 - 1   2 - 0

3 Brighton              2 - 2   1 - 1

4 Hull City              4 - 0   0 - 2

5 Derby County      --------------

6 Sheffield Wed      1 - 1   0 - 0

7 Cardiff City           2 - 0   2 - 1

8 Ipswich Town       ? - ?    0 - 1

9  Birmingham City  0 - 3   1 - 1

10 Brentford            2 - 0   1 - 3

11 Preston               0 - 0   1 - 2

12 Leeds Utd           1 - 2   2 - 2

13 QP Rangers        1 - 0   2 - 0

14 Wolverhampton   4 - 2   2 - 1

15 Blackburn            1 - 0   0 - 0

16 Reading               1 - 1   0 - 1 

17 Nottm Forest       1 - 0   1 - 0

18 Bristol City           4 - 0   2 - 3

19 Huddersfield        2 - 0   1 - 2

20 Rotherham           3 - 0   3 - 3

21 Fulham                 2 - 0   1 - 1

22 Charlton               1 - 1   0 - 1

23 Milton Keynes       0 - 1  1 - 3

24 Bolton                   4 - 1   0 - 0

Scores in bold = 14 points that we might reasonably have gained, We needed 11 of these points to win the League. Not much leeway for poor performances really

Any views on this?

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Home   Away

1 Burnley               0 - 0   4 - 1

2 Middlesbrough   1 - 1   2 - 0

3 Brighton              2 - 2   1 - 1

4 points out of 18 from these three teams so no complaints about finishing outside the top three.

Bizarrely we have been more dominant over Hull than over any other team.

Two draws against Sheff Wed

All the Play Off games will be tough.

Ideally we beat Hull and play Sheff Wed in the Final, thereby avoiding bogey teams i.e Boro.

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Also, they seem to think 'Arry is picking our teams. :lol: I feel so bad for Wassall. 

I'd agree with poor defending from corners. But then again, if that's how you are planning to win a game, you are in pretty desperate position.

14 hours ago, davenportram said:

I'm a bit worried about playing Hull in the play offs. For is to go through it would mean that we have beaten them at least three times out of four that we will have played them.

I think that given the championship level of competition particularly in the top 6-8 teams it will be hard to achieve that

Managed to beat Brighton 4 times in last play off stint..... 

Fancy our chances against anyone

So in order to be at home second, we need to beat Ipswich and Hull need to lose to Rotherham. 

Unlikely. Makes nae difference to me of course, watching it at home both legs.

I think the semi-final is going to be a lot more difficult than the playoff final. If we manage to turn over Hull at home, the way we collapsed against teams like Rotheram doesn't fill me wth confidence that we could defend a lead away from home. We are going to need 2 big performances. 

In honesty, we are flying a little bit under the radar with the playoffs, and I fancy us to turn over any team on neutral ground. That big Wembley pitch will suit our midfield 3 of Bryson, Hughes & Thorne and in honesty, I am confident on a one-off occasion of beating Brighton, Boro (yes, really!) or Wednesday.

18 hours ago, davenportram said:

I'm a bit worried about playing Hull in the play offs. For is to go through it would mean that we have beaten them at least three times out of four that we will have played them.

I think that given the championship level of competition particularly in the top 6-8 teams it will be hard to achieve that

Of course we can beat them again. 

Archived