Interesting comment from Harry Redknapp

Bris Vegas

"At Derby County I thought our play was too slow but in the last few weeks we’ve been getting the ball forward a bit quicker and making a lot more chances. I always preferred playing against sides that would pass and pass than those that were more direct, that had the penetration. We’d set traps for those teams."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between finding your centre-forward quicker and playing hoof ball.

Maybe it's because Clement's most recent footballing background was with clubs that tend to dominate 95% of their games, but his version of entertaining football was at odds with what we as supporters of a second division side expect. His possession-based style works perfectly for a super club trying to dispose of canon fodder parking the bus, but you need 11 intelligent, two-footed players to play that kind of patient football. No team at this level has that.

That way of playing made even less sense after signing players like Weimann, Johnson and Blackman - who look worse the more time you give them on the ball.

Clement had us playing like we were galaticos trying to routinely polish off plucky lower La Liga sides. That simply doesn't work in a league full of managers of the Harry Redknapp mould who LOVE to play teams trying to play that way.

It was so frustrating watching us throw points away after needlessly dropping what had worked so well before. What Wassall and Redknapp have done isn't rocket science. They've just got us moving the fookin ball with some urgency.

We're blessed with a number of intelligent footballers, but any manager needs to know the limitations of his team. Leave the fancy and intricate stuff for Thorne, Hughes, Martin, Bryson and Butterfiel, and get them to find Johnson to bundle it over the line with his knee.

It's exciting to watch because it scares teams to death when it's effective, and we create loads of chances. You don't need to play like Barcelona to get fans off their seats.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

"At Derby County I thought our play was too slow but in the last few weeks we’ve been getting the ball forward a bit quicker and making a lot more chances. I always preferred playing against sides that would pass and pass than those that were more direct, that had the penetration. We’d set traps for those teams."

What was the trap at Wembley? Let our defenders try to clear it?

I like the effect he's having though, I'll be sad to see him leave at the end of the final at Wembley. 

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

What was the trap at Wembley? Let our defenders try to clear it?

I like the effect he's having though, I'll be sad to see him leave at the end of the final at Wembley. 

The instructions that went out were " Aw wite Zamora. Keep a faken eye on Keogh, he's bound to make a mistake. Me owd cock sparrow."

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I hadn't realised 'arry had learned to speak by studying dick van dyke ☺

I distinctly remember him stepping in time, having his tea on the ceiling and flying a kite, so leave it aht, Gav.

/Votes for women!

12 hours ago, Duracell said:

There is a difference between finding your centre-forward quicker and playing hoof ball.

Maybe it's because Clement's most recent footballing background was with clubs that tend to dominate 95% of their games, but his version of entertaining football was at odds with what we as supporters of a second division side expect. His possession-based style works perfectly for a super club trying to dispose of canon fodder parking the bus, but you need 11 intelligent, two-footed players to play that kind of patient football. No team at this level has that.

That way of playing made even less sense after signing players like Weimann, Johnson and Blackman - who look worse the more time you give them on the ball.

Clement had us playing like we were galaticos trying to routinely polish off plucky lower La Liga sides. That simply doesn't work in a league full of managers of the Harry Redknapp mould who LOVE to play teams trying to play that way.

It was so frustrating watching us throw points away after needlessly dropping what had worked so well before. What Wassall and Redknapp have done isn't rocket science. They've just got us moving the fookin ball with some urgency.

We're blessed with a number of intelligent footballers, but any manager needs to know the limitations of his team. Leave the fancy and intricate stuff for Thorne, Hughes, Martin, Bryson and Butterfiel, and get them to find Johnson to bundle it over the line with his knee.

It's exciting to watch because it scares teams to death when it's effective, and we create loads of chances. You don't need to play like Barcelona to get fans off their seats.

Possibly your finest work, Duracell.

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

Not his finest work, but top class as usual. I believe you are quite a young guy Duracell? Seriously you should be a football journalist 

Only the people closest to him know this, unfortunately with Duracell he's got this problem that's very similar to the Elephant Man, it's really sad and it's why he doesn't go outside much. Not much chance of him becoming a journalist I'm afraid :(

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Only the people closest to him know this, unfortunately with Duracell he's got this problem that's very similar to the Elephant Man, it's really sad and it's why he doesn't go outside much. Not much chance of him becoming a journalist I'm afraid :(

Is it that he has a trunk?

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

But every chance of copping off with Natalie from East Midlands today.

Archived