Will Hughes Appreciation Thread

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great performance today. I can really see Hughes going a long way (we've all known this for a while to be fair, though) and I'm pretty certain he will play for England in the not too distant future

There's not an awful lot that Hughes can't do; while being elegant on the ball he also has an ability to get stuck in which you really wouldn't expect, not to mention his touch and vision which are second to none. I suppose he could be better in the air and add more goals to his game but I'm really splitting hairs in order to try and find something he could improve on.

Great to have him back in the team and his performance today seems even more unbelievable given that it was only his 2nd start since returning from injury. I would love to see him play for Derby in the Premier League.

Just reading a thread about him on the Brighton forum. The cheek of them calling him a horrible player after the way some of their players were flouncing around today is quite something. 

Brilliant though, looks a lot better when he's moved further forward and can play off the front three. Incredible how intelligent he is on and off the ball.

I was a bit suprised he started today. Given Thorne had to come back in, and Will was in Thornes position last week.
I was also even more amazed how well he played. So many players this season, and in seasons gone by have taken quite a long time to reach form, settle into the team whether it be because they are new signings or have been out injured a long time. Thorne, Bryson, Olsson just to name those from this season. Hughes performance was so good, id suggest he is undropable from now until the end of our extended season.

And to think there were many on here saying they'd rather have Butterfield in the side instead of him.  Butterfield is a good Championship quality player but Hughes is on a whole different level, same goes when compared to any other midfielder in this division.  Unless you speak to a Florist fan then of course Lansbury is a lot better...

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Just reading a thread about him on the Brighton forum. The cheek of them calling him a horrible player after the way some of their players were flouncing around today is quite something. 

Brilliant though, looks a lot better when he's moved further forward and can play off the front three. Incredible how intelligent he is on and off the ball.

Oh my word, I went and looked for it after reading this and it's hilarious. It's here for others who fancy a read: 

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?337554-Will-Hughes&s=2e54b63fcc116ed321c901d88040219f

It's a bloody train wreck. They all seem to think he's a little gobsh*te/absolutely class/diving cheat/would have him in a heartbeat. As in, they think all four!

Laughed through every comment of their's thinking they'd be able to sign him should they go up. And I fail to work out why other fans are wound up by Will, he plays with a smile on his face, which I think is refreshing to see. His mocking of Bruno was brilliant, and shows what he really thinks of play-acting. Brighton just couldn't get the ball off him today, hence the fouls! 

Hughes was class today, all of his passes are made, with exact pace on the ball, he reads the game so well for someone of his age, he is intelligent, he puts his foot in, he has great feet and balance, as I have said many times he will play at the top, hopefully with us, he is a joy to watch, and this his 2nd start since his injury, he was head and shoulders above anyone on that pitch today, he must be a joy to play with, can see him pushing us over the line, and dcfc being promoted at Wembley.

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

And to think there were many on here saying they'd rather have Butterfield in the side instead of him.  Butterfield is a good Championship quality player but Hughes is on a whole different level, same goes when compared to any other midfielder in this division.  Unless you speak to a Florist fan then of course Lansbury is a lot better...

Hughes is the one Derby player over the last 20 years who, if given a game for England, would not look out of place.

He actually looks better now than before his injury.

To be fair, a great many of the comments on the BHA thread are positive about young Will. Some saying that he was the best opposition player to play at their stadium this season. Those that aren't positive can't exactly be classed as objective - we all know that football fans are known for their complete objectivity...

Young Will was fantastic today. He has so much time on the ball and just looks a class above. 

He looked like he was limping a bit towards the end. I hope he's ok. Same for Bryson.

7 hours ago, mike93rh said:

insanely good today, both on the ball and off it. The amount of tackles he made!

That's really why he is so good.  A wonderfully creative and skillful player who has a real appetite for working hard for the team and winning the ball back.  It's very rare that those two attributes are combined in the same player.  His influence may just get us promoted. 

39 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

He seems to have improved on his physical side now too, he couldn't lose possession and was making some great tackles. 

yep, that for me is his biggest improvement. He has definitely got stronger. The bizarre thing was he also looked a yard faster than before he got injured! 

Some of the tackles he made vs. Sheffield Wednesday (didn't watch Brighton) were perfect. Amazing when you consider how long he was out for and the nature of the injury.

What a player to have, but what a player to have coming back into match fitness and sharpness at this time of the season.

He's also Mr. May on the DCFC calendar sat on my desk at work. I don't usually believe in omens, but..

He has a fast mind & fast feet. He instinctively knows to put his body between the ball & the opponent. He can tackle cleanly and actually gain possession better than anyone I have seen for quite a while. His passing is sublime and his energy levels are outstanding. Conclusion...................Best we go up this year! 

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He has a fast mind & fast feet. He instinctively knows to put his body between the ball & the opponent. He can tackle cleanly and actually gain possession better than anyone I have seen for quite a while. His passing is sublime and his energy levels are outstanding. Conclusion...................Best we go up this year! 

Not sure anyone will cough up to sign him after he's been out for most of the season, however well he plays in the remaining few games.

We're definitely getting close to the line though. 

Hughes best player on the park yesterday.

The lad has a great footballing brain, you'd have never thought he been out for 90% of the season.

Nothing to fear about any team in the play offs.

Archived