Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

eddie

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with a refereeing performance like that is that it is distracting to the players, I have never seen Derby players having as many goes at the referee as I saw yesterday. It was a bad day for him, these things happen. I thought that while Sheff Wed were very well organised and had a sharp player up front, they still looked the weakest of the potential play off teams (so will probably go up).

12 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The problem with a refereeing performance like that is that it is distracting to the players, I have never seen Derby players having as many goes at the referee as I saw yesterday. It was a bad day for him, these things happen. I thought that while Sheff Wed were very well organised and had a sharp player up front, they still looked the weakest of the potential play off teams (so will probably go up).

I suggested to people around me that the referee might have a new sponsorship deal with 3M - Post-It notes. It's the only reasonable explanation. 

13 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Nice to hear @Beagle on here..... Can see what you mean exactly.... How and where refs stand being one myself for a decade. 

Referees make mistakes..... So do players and managers. Just an easy cop out to blame a referee for a teams or managers failings.... TV is to blame for a lot if this with leading questions. Also some of the media are quite happy to question a referees integrity too which I dislike the most

That is very fair minded Bob and I am inclined to agree with you. My gripe was not over any individual decision. They are made in a split second (even though he should have spotted the pen !) i do think though, that criticism is valid given inconsistencies and as someone else said "game management" 

we can say players had a poor game, or the managers substitutions or tactics were badly thought through so surely it isn't out of line to put the ref under the spotlight. They aren't untouchable. .. Having said that, like you I detest challenges to integrity. My guess is that most refs start reffing because they have a passion for fair play

PistoldPete2

It a big problem when refs dish out cards like that. It becomes quite random, as we saw last week when the ref was giving peno against Fester for pushing in the box.  Thats the problem with zero tolerance. What about the ones he didnt give? You get booked for a mis-timed tackle which could lead to a sending off if you get another one. But the refs in both the leicester game and in the rams game yesterday missed at least one peno each that should have been.  And many of the wendies tackles were worse than any of those that Rams players got booked for. I just dont like seeing all these bookings and over fussy refs.

21 hours ago, Highgate said:

Great to see Hughes start, a bit unfortunate for him that he had to play in the CDM position as it's not his natural game, even though he doesn't shy away from the tackles.  I thought he did well overall.  Good game, i think we probably should have won it given the chances we had (what was Blackman doing?), but it's good to see the team playing well at this point of the season.  With Thorne to come back, Hughes can push back into his more attacking position..and we should be able to trouble anyone in the playoffs.  MOM was Russell for me.

On a different note...Jack Hunt, what an unfortunate name, irresponsible parenting!

His dad wanted to call him Isaac.

I just watched the highlights and they could point to the Carson save and the fk that hit the bar.

We had at least 4 clear cut chances and about the same decent positions that "could have been" like the Martin shot early on.   I thought we'd been the better side, but I hadn't appreciated by how much. Bring 'em on at Wembley if we can get past Hull.

Christie should definitely have had a peno, and the Keogh booking wasn't; he got the ball.

Martin had a monster scoreless streak. did Bent and Blackman deserve a chance or a run of games? They most certainly did. They did not get it. If they had played, might we have more points on the board? almost certainly. If we had beaten Rotherham, Preston, Wolves and MK Dons, as expected to do, we would be two points clear at the top now..

I haven't had time yet to read through this thread so my apologies if I'm repeating what others have said. Or maybe it's a good thing if I do? But I thought we were very good yesterday against a very good opponent. I think we edged the game in terms of chances and football played, but Wednesday carved out a few good opportunities too. If it's to be the playoff final, us and them, it will be an entertaining affair and played in the right manner. Which brings me on to the referee yesterday. He had a shocker. Some of his decision making borders on insanity. I've only just watched the game back on Sky, and the ones that looked very dubious at the match, in the flesh, look even worse. I've still no idea why Forestieri for them and Butterfield for us were yellow carded. No idea. He gets the Hughes one right, but again, no idea how Bryson escapes with a booking for what look like red card tackles, two of em. So I'm not calling the ref out for being biased. He wasn't. He was just inept. The worst of the lot for me was him not giving us a penalty when Christie was scythed down in the second half. 

I thought it was a good team performance, especially without Thorne who for a lot of us is key to how we want to setup and play, as that anchor, dictator deep from midfield. I expected Butters to hold yesterday, but fair play to Wassall he got it right playing Will deeper which allowed Butters to continue his good form in and around Martin and the wingers. I felt Bryson wasn't quite at it, he coughed up possession far too frequently and no amount of running around like a headless chicken will convince me he was anything but okay yesterday. I say that because I read often on here about him being everywhere, running himself into the ground. He does, it's true. And I do appreciate effort, in fact I expect it as a bare minimum. I'm just pointing it out though. That effort doesn't always equal a great performance. He was ok at best, I'm being generous actually, he was average and lucky not to be sent off and missing the next three, vital games. 

I can't think of much to say about the back four, certainly not negatively anyway. Suspicions of Carson perhaps getting caught out by Bannan, he looks well off his line, but at times you have to applaud the hit. And it was some hit by Bannan, who was Wednesday's best player on the day I feel. 

I don't think our wingers were up to much first half but Russell again stood out as the game progressed. He's easily our form player right now. I've always criticised him for having little end-product but this last month or so he's proving me very wrong. He'd be my MOTM for us yesterday, edging out Olsson and Butterfield (underrated again, I urge people to watch the game back and focus on him, the thinking man's footballer). But considering Hughes has had little game time, I have to say I was mightily impressed with his desire, commitment on the day. He looked spent after an hour understandably. But yes, circumstances appreciated, he runs Russell close. 

UTR

I've never liked bad language just for the sake of it but in a perverse sort of way I miss the "where's your father referee" song ... It goes with football like wagon wheels and bovril. ... Not really very nice but somehow part of the recipe 

;)

Archived