Jon Mitchell loan to Luton

FrostedRam

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure he'll be in the direct competition bracket, possibly though. This is League 2 he's playing in. Good signs though, he'll probably go out on loan to league 1/champ for a portion of next season to further analyse his progress.

Don't see him being loaned out as Grant will most likely leave at the end of his contract this year. Plus with morch plus the other young keeper we signed then it seems the plan has always been to promote Mitchell for next season

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched the highlights I'm not sure it was all that impressive. He was solid enough and I'm happy he's doing well but they only had 4 shots on target and I'd say only one of them wasn't a routine save. 

Personally I'm surprised after seeing that that he's in the FL team of the week, quiet day for GKs.

I would expect him to be loaned out, it makes very little sense for young keepers to be on the bench, better yet to pick an older keeper up for two years and let Mitchell progress on loan for a year. Second year loan him out with a recall and phase him in if he's performing to the standard we need, or at least if he looks capable.

• 2 weeks later...

Derby County goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell has been recalled from his loan spell at Sky Bet League 2 side Luton Town.

Mitchell, 21, joined the Hatters on an emergency loan deal until the end of the season in early March to gain first-team experience.

Derby have activated a clause to recall Mitchell after the first 28 days of the loan and he has returned to the iPro Stadium with immediate effect.

Fellow goalkeeper Lee Grant requires a minor groin operation and Mitchell has been recalled to act as cover for first-choice custodian Scott Carson.

Mitchell, who goes straight into the squad for tonight’s Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Hull City, impressed during his stay at Kenilworth Road and made five appearances in total.

The youngster made his professional debut for Derby earlier this year in the 2-1 Emirates FA Cup Third Round victory over Hartlepool United.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/jonathan-mitchell-returns-from-luton-town-loan-3043347.aspx#QdGWHIKH318udYay.99

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Mitchell has done fantastic for Luton apparently, so I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world if Carson got injured. 

Fantastic is overselling it a little, in truth he hasn't been all that troubled. He's been solid though. 

Wouldn't be the end of the world, but I would expect him to make mistakes in goal for us during what will be a high-pressure period. 

6 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Mitchell has done fantastic for Luton apparently, so I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world if Carson got injured. 

League 2 are different to Championship. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Wanted by Luton again apparently 

He should go there for a season on loan up to Jan then they can have him permanently. 

Roos also should go out on loan one more time next season. 

20 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

He should go there for a season on loan up to Jan then they can have him permanently. 

Roos also should go out on loan one more time next season. 

Why would we let Mitchell go permanently? 

Archived