Formula One Championship - 2016 Season

RicME85

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Not a bad race really, helpded by the mercs losing out at the start. Hopefully will be more of this as the season goes on.

alonsos accident

and his interview

Fernando Alonso admitted he was not sure where his McLaren-Honda had come to rest because he flew so far in his Australian Grand Prix Formula 1 crash with Esteban Gutierrez.

Alonso clipped the back of Gutierrez's Haas in the Turn 3 braking zone near one-third-distance in the 2016 F1 season-opener.

The McLaren veered left into the wall at high speed then rolled repeatedly when it hit the gravel trap sideways, eventually coming to a halt upside down against the wall at the end of the run-off area.

"You are not exactly aware where you are," said Alonso.

"You are just flying and then you see the sky, the ground, the sky, the ground and you don't know.

"When I stopped I saw a little space to get out of the car and I went out quickly just to make sure that people at home were not too worried about me.

"Then I didn't know where I was because I was so far from the track.

"I said 'I've travelled a lot when I was flying!'.

"Everything [felt like it] happened slower than [it looked on] the outside.

"You want to stop and it doesn't stop, it keeps going and going and going. It was quite scary."

12 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

McLaren look much better this year at least, they will just get better as the season goes on, regular points come summer IMO.

McLaren are indeed better than last year, the bigger compressor on the turbo is helping, problem now is the chassis is showing its weaknesses. It appears the car is eating tyres faster than those around them as the MP4-31 wasnt competitive on the SS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd-VnmGW4AAp1p2.jpgCd-VnmGW4AAp1p2.jpg

media_xll_8503241.jpg

Looks like Ferrari can be a thorn in Mercedes' side this season. Shame the crash happened and ruined the Ferrari race plan. Apparently they were concerned they couldnt heat the medium tyre quick enough to use it from the restart hence going with a softer tyre.

Good to see RoGro score some solid points.

I hope Manor can bolt on some upgrades and get at the pack a bit more, would be a shame to waste such a good PU.

Well done HASS, glad Ferrari look like they might put a spanner in the Merc victory procession.

McLaren improved, glad Alonso is unhurt.

I love Max Verstappen - reminds me of young Lewis Hamilton pulling moves all over everyone - he has to be looking at Kyvat for next season.

I think well don Palmer as well, drove respectably well and glad Renault look to be mid pack rather than shambles. held up faster cars without anything untowards is sign of a decent driver.

• 1 month later...
Sith Happens
19 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Kvyatt dropped to T.R (harsh decision tbh) 

Does seem so, i reckon they have been itching to get verstappen in the Red Bull though. To be fair the Torro Rosso is a decent car anyway.

On 6 May 2016 at 12:15, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Kvyatt dropped to T.R (harsh decision tbh) 

Noticed J.B went public to say the same, noting his podium finish race before.

This is all about keeping Verstappen, that and Vettel who I.m.o made some bold but equally daft moves when he started out, having a word with Christian Horner. Perfect excuses to drop him really.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Max Verstappen 18 years old, new team, Grand Prix winner great maturity best race I can remember.

Wasnt bad, can think of a few better but good to see different cars racing.

Cant make my mind up on the rosberg/hamilton incident, seems the stewards couldnt either and have given no punishment.

IMO Rosberg had got distracted as he was having to change a number of settings on the steering wheel as just after starting on turn 3 the harvest light came on and he knew he had to do something to save himself from being swamped by the whole pack. He drifted right whilst doing this but there was plenty of room which is why Hamilton went for the gap. I dont get why Rosberg made his one defensive move allowed because not only did it cause the collision he would of made turn 4 tricky for himself, the sensible thing would of been to take the normal racing line and let Hamilton dive up the inside and make the corner too tight for himself thus having a slow get away from T4, Rosberg could of then come inside Hamilton at T4 on the normal racing line and regained position.

Oh, and it wasnt that good a race, there has been far better races with the Mercs still in the race. The hope was with them out of the race it would open things up for a proper battle at the front but Max managed the race very well. Catalunya is pretty pants for races. Great for testing as it really shows up chassis weaknesses but for car to car racing its just no good.

Very impressed with Verstappen, many other young drivers would get flustered with some of Kimi's ability chasing them for so long but I didnt notice any locking up at all.

Actually more powerful cars would make for better races. Remember the monster turbos of yesteryear that had the back end squirming all over the track? 

Should up the ERS usage to WEC levels, remove the fuel flow limit and reduce aero. Brake performance is too good these days too, means that drivers can brake late and know they will stop for the corner, if some of that performance was taken away it would provide more overtake opportunities.

Archived