So is the Premier League still the ultimate goal

Curtains

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The ultimate goal is clearly entertaining Mel Morris. Fortunately, that should be good news as he wants the same thing as the rest of us - competitive, entertaining football from a side of players we can identify with, at the highest level we can reach.

Can these players do it with Wassall in charge I guess we will see. 

Ultimate:

adjective - being or happening at the end of a process; final.

noun - the best achievable or imaginable of its kind.

So no curtains the ultimate aim is not just to reach the PL. I imagine Mel's ultimate (realistic) aim would be to establish ourselves and break the top 8.

Has that answered your question?

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Improving the club at every level is the ultimate aim. Promotion will be an inevitable outcome of this.

Being in the Premier League does not bother me at all, I just want my team to entertain me, so what Morris has said is actually quite refreshing.

And this is achieved by sacking your manager every six months ?

How can you achieve on field progress if you haven't got off field sustainability ?

Amazing how a staged video suddenly has people buying into this perceived philosophy that we have when things don't go our owners way, if promotion is not the aim, then why not give the manager until the end of the season to judge him? Is 7 months really enough time to judge a rookie manager in his first job, not forgetting only in September MM said he could see the improvements that are being made.  I didn't understand the appointment in the first instance, but to sack him in these circumstances is bizzare, let's hope the next man is given longer than clement has been to build this so called Derby way.

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The ultimate goal is champions league winners ad infinitum!

the immediate goal is not putting us asleep on Saturday but playing some inventive creative attacking football.

get it ? 

Players take no responsibility right .

5th in the League .

If it goes the other way then people will not be happy with Wassall .

What then ! 

I mean I'd much rather have Clement than Wassall after the honeymoon. 

It's rubbish to say the U21s are so damn good. 

Nobody cares about the U21 league do they ! 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

For the sacking of Paul Clement and saying Paul doesn't agree on youth policy and then letting him sign all these players for big money. 

Using Jamie Hanson as an example. 

You had a pop at me the other day for not backing Mel and the club despite not being able to link me to any post that showed I wasn't.

I think you should back Mel curtains and trust his decision ;) 

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The ultimate goal is champions league winners ad infinitum!

the immediate goal is not putting us asleep on Saturday but playing some inventive creative attacking football.

get it ? 

Ahhhh Ninos .. A man after my own heart. 

I remember long ago arguing with my brother (a dedicated fan of lower league football) . He pronounced grumpily that fancy dans are a waste of space. Oh dear !

For me you win things or have fun watching your team trying to win win things.. Preferably both ... morose survival in mediocrity is NOT why one goes to watch a team engaging in a sporting contest .. 

Yes, it always was.

Its that Clement could not do it, could not give us the performances we were used to for most of the last two season under Mac,  Clement was given new players to get us to the next level, or at least for us to see improvement on the last two seasons.

With only 2 90 minute performances from 30 odd games and no win this year, the writing was on the wall, hence Mel and the Reading game......................

8 minutes ago, Daveo said:

You had a pop at me the other day for not backing Mel and the club despite not being able to link me to any post that showed I wasn't.

I think you should back Mel curtains and trust his decision ;) 

The thing is I heard Mel say all this at the Forum and then we signed all these players. 

How can the youngsters like Hanson and Lowe be better than Bradley Johnson and Butterfield and Thorne etc etc. 

I like Mel I just don't back his philosophy on how promotion should be achieved and this statement today has completely thrown me as to how promotion will be achieved. 

You have to get up first to the PremierLeague and I hope that can be achieved. 

But I now have serious doubts about all things Derby County and I know it sound contradictory 

38 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

And this is achieved by sacking your manager every six months ?

How can you achieve on field progress if you haven't got off field sustainability ?

Amazing how a staged video suddenly has people buying into this perceived philosophy that we have when things don't go our owners way, if promotion is not the aim, then why not give the manager until the end of the season to judge him? Is 7 months really enough time to judge a rookie manager in his first job, not forgetting only in September MM said he could see the improvements that are being made.  I didn't understand the appointment in the first instance, but to sack him in these circumstances is bizzare, let's hope the next man is given longer than clement has been to build this so called Derby way.

Nothing to do with any video, read back through my posts this season and you will see I raised my concerns about the squad size being to the detriment of the academy.

Anyone who doesn't understand the damage that short termism can do to a club don't have very good memorys!

Morris has to shoulder his fair share of the blame for where we find ourselves but I see what he has done as a step back in the right direction.

He said all this back in July. 

We're to establish a style and system of play from the first team right down to the youngest kids. Every coach, player, manager, blade of grass has to fit and buy into the same approach. When it's in place then we can begin to build on it. Bringing in better personel when possible. 

He never said promotion. He said to build and then improve on this "Derby way" 

He said that promotion will just be the result of our growth and so long as he sees growth then that's good enough.

Where does constant improvement end up? There's not time scale on the speed of the growth. Just that we continue to improve and don't compromise or go backwards. It's not game to game improvement. It's just over weeks and months. 

He said all this from the start and I don't know why some are acting like they're hearing it for the first time.

My only problem with it is that we spunked money randomly. We're supposed to be developing players and people. Growing. So to go out and bring in a large amount of players that technically as footballers are no better than what we have (Butterfield and Ince apart) isn't growing. Inflating the squad massively and having lads in the squad, in the team, then out the squad and not even on the bench. It's chaos. Too many players and we don't even see roles for some of them. 

The problem with the Clement sacking is that a month or so ago he was everything we wanted according to the top brass. 

Back at the fans forum we had screens showing us that Derby are statistically the most attacking possession based side in the league. More passes in the final third than anyone else. More possession in opponents half than anyone else. A better shots/shots on target ratio than about 20 other teams. 1 of the teams above us in shots was midtable Forest and we were miles better than them in shots on target. Basically we were the best team in the Champ statistically. We all purred at it. Clement was proud of it. 

The idea that if we continue to do the right things then results will come. And they did. 

So when did Clement abandon this philosophy? 

We hit a sticky patch and the football became far more negative. But the sticky patch will happen to Pep at City and Ancelotti at Bayern. 100%. Teams have lows. Confidence slips and that changes the way you play. 

If the philosophy was spot on months ago then why is it not now? 

If the football was good enough for 22 matches then does 8 matches undo all that. And it must have been good enough because we all sat in a room masturbating over it. 

Just seems to me we set out to be patient and then have tried to rush everything. And for Clement to suddenly stop trying to do what he was asked to do, why? 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nothing to do with any video, read back through my posts this season and you will see I raised my concerns about the squad size being to the detriment of the academy.

Anyone who doesn't understand the damage that short termism can do to a club don't have very good memorys!

Morris has to shoulder his fair share of the blame for where we find ourselves but I see what he has done as a step back in the right direction.

I failing to see the how the sacking of clement has readdressed your concern of the squad size, why do feel this is now the step in that direction ?

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I failing to see the how the sacking of clement has readdressed your concern of the squad size, why do feel this is now the step in that direction ?

Because hopefully the next manager will try and get the best out of players rather than just buying for the sake of it...

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because hopefully the next manager will try and get the best out of players rather than just buying for the sake of it...

Wassall should play some of the U21s Saturday.

Lets throw Johnson and Butterfield and Blackman and Olsson and Camara to the dogs. 

Hilarious. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

So clement was in charge of recruitment ? He make the money available, identified the players and sanctioned the deals ?

Is this wasn't in his job profile then why not stop him from signing the players in the first instance, or at least give him u tip the end of the season to see if the recruitment drive was going to work.

Archived