Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

36 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Ive stood by MM through all this nonsense.... but listening to that.... wtf is he about? How can promotion not be the target? Seems like totally given up on the season

It's all about attaining the targets in the 'right way'. The football over the last couple of months was turgid, sterile and safety-first. For goodness sake, we have bought artists, then given them a bloody paint roller and asked them to paint the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

What other "normal" club spends £25mill on players and come out with promotion isn't a necessity this year?? Bullcrap, you spend £6million on Johnson but say that? What player with ambition will come here?

sacking the man you chose to replace SM then not replacing him will only set you back further, somethings gone on and unfortunately I don't think we'll find out the truth

I believe Mel Morris on this sorry.

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Someone needs to give him an intense interview because still so many un-answered questions. Radio Derby were playing his quotes earlier which said 'paul clement will not be sacked this season period.' Wish they play it to him during an interview!

With the aim of what? Things change in life. PC agreed to do a particular job ans wasn't doing it. If you came to me for a job and agreed to what I wanted you to do I would keep you on as promised but if you patently couldn't do the job you would have to be fired. 

I agree with Mel Morris. The only thing I think he did wrong was to sanction the addition of so many incoming players and not make sure there were outgoings. In other words he should have tied Clements hands even more because clement couldn't handle a big squad (and few can).

Eddie Howe on Sky before the Arsenal game this past Sunday spoke very eloquently about the key to Bournemouth success - the team spirit and how Dressing rooms get toxic when a squad gets bloated and players are not playing. They all want to play and all believe they should be playing. Howe deliberately keeps his tight nit squad small. 

After all the DCFC incomings, it was Clements problem. He could have done things. he could have sent players to the reserves: but he persisted with the formation and the Martin up top by himself approach. But You have a striker that's netted one time in 17 games while you bench Bent weimann and Russell and you play Ince Blackman and Johnson all out of position to accommodate that one unproductive striker and blindly adhere to a 4-3-3 formation (rather than build a formation around your strongest players). That's 6 players affronted and Zanzala and the youth strikers all blocked from promotion too. You can't tell all of them to earn their place when you persist with a dead formation and you keep trotting out the one that's failing. Ince Johnson and even Blackman have not had a chance to play their preferred positions, and Bent has just been treated very badly full stop. The one game he puts Ince centrally behind bent and what happens ? Ince scores 3 and we score 4! Then what does he do ? Drop bent and move ince back out wide. 

I hope DW is brave enough to make some changes by bringing Hanson in, bringing our top attacking players back in - eg. Ince Bryson Johnson - and by giving bent a real chance to shine. And trimming the first team squad asap may be a wise move too!

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I believe Mel Morris on this sorry.

Sadly I don't trust anything anymore that comes out of the mouths of Rush and Morris.

You can pick holes in everything they say. Cast your mind back a year to the helicopter swoop on behalf of the player procurement team to sign Alben "bloody tosa. It's a pack of sound bites.

This won't be the first problem with these two.

I strongly suspect Clement had had enough of the whole club. I have to say though the football was crap but it had got that way a year ago.

12 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

What other "normal" club spends £25mill on players and come out with promotion isn't a necessity this year?? Bullcrap, you spend £6million on Johnson but say that? What player with ambition will come here?

sacking the man you chose to replace SM then not replacing him will only set you back further, somethings gone on and unfortunately I don't think we'll find out the truth

Sorry, but you haven't been listening.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

With the aim of what? Things change in life. PC agreed to do a particular job ans wasn't doing it. If you came to me for a job and agreed to what I wanted you to do I would keep you on as promised but if you patently couldn't do the job you would have to be fired. 

Well whats sacking him now achieve? You end up putting an academy coach in charge and have no passion to go for promotion.

I would of hoped they could of been civilized, spoke about what is concerning him and give him till the end of the season to achieve it.

Just now, Boycie said:

Lol! Yeah righto.

im not sitting next to your trapdoor, I mean seat Sat.

I was all for him 7 months ago. 

Loads of publicity, £25m randomly chucked about, booing abusive fans, 1 dressing room trip later and I just don't like the feeling as much as what we had in 2014

Who can honestly say the club is just as nice place to be as in 2014?

And McClaren was sacked to make way for Clement and his intelligence and vision. 8 months later he's sacked for not playing like McClaren

Our transfer strategy and our fans are awful. 

We're so far from the buzz McClaren created that we couldn't find it again if it came delivered to Moor Farm

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

Ive stood by MM through all this nonsense.... but listening to that.... wtf is he about? How can promotion not be the target? Seems like totally given up on the season

Building the club, improving the players and the team is the primary aim...promotion should be a byproduct of this.

Sorry Mel it just all doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why let a Manager sign so many new expensive players if you just wanted him to work with the existing players who have done so well over the last few seasons before Clement arrived, & improve them. Then bring some players in to add to that. Surely developing a team that's consistently successful but also plays hi tempo attractive football will take any new manager sometime to develop, certainly a great  deal longer than eight months. Football is all about getting results, unfortunately in the league we are in you can't always do that with hi tempo pretty football. You have to grind out many games throughout the 46 game season. Clearly if he wants both we are going to be churning over managers on a endless regular basis, going nowhere. Sadly the Sir Alex Ferguson's in this world are strictly ONE OFF'S. As we all know football isn't a perfect science. I would think the majority of fans just want to get back into the Premiership, we can worry about the pretty hi tempo football once we are there. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I was all for him 7 months ago. 

Loads of publicity, £25m randomly chucked about, booing abusive fans, 1 dressing room trip later and I just don't like the feeling as much as what we had in 2014

Who can honestly say the club is just as nice place to be as in 2014?

And McClaren was sacked to make way for Clement and his intelligence and vision. 8 months later he's sacked for not playing like McClaren

Our transfer strategy and our fans are awful. 

We're so far from the buzz McClaren created that we couldn't find it again if it came delivered to Moor Farm

McClaren was sacked because he had made his own position untenable.

Just watched Mel's interview with Nat Jax (on the BBC Derby Sport FB page).

Maybe I'm a sucker for spin and propaganda, but I'm a little more convinced Mel has done this for the right reasons. It sounds to me that PC clearly wasn't interested in building a style and dynasty at the club from youth to first team, he just wanted to get promotion without building that strong foundation. Mel mentioned our last promotion disaster. One of the things he said at the end was that the next step is to get the enjoyment back in the academy. Clearly the U21s were feeling frozen out of PC plans. The lack of opportunities and sheer number of senior signings made reflect this.

As I said, I think Mel has done this for the right reasons. Whether it was still the right thing to do, I'm still not convinced. Saturday's performance will answer a lot of questions, methinks.

Just listened to Mel's interview some of the things he talks about are great but in reality rarely all come together consistently.

Performances will vary during the season some will be good others grinding out results you are not going to get fantasy football every game.

You cannot choose when you get promotion just be glad you have been lucky to achieve it.By saying it is not the primary aim is giving players a easy excuses not to play to their full ability and the one's with ambition to become disillusioned. 

We are only going to be able to move players out on loan now and if we cannot then you still have the issue of players not being happy not being on the pitch.

The club right now with it's statements is left a ship without  a known destination just bobbing around till someone comes along to take the helm and apply some navigational skills.

If PC with focused on getting promotion then good for him everyone on this board should be shaking his hand because that is what you have all been calling for.

I hope very quickly we appoint someone who can deliver everything Mel wants but doubt. he will find anyone who can fulfill the role of miracle worker.From his statements it even rules out Mourinho.

Perhaps PC put it to Mel that it's all very well for him to say promotion isn't a priority and building something special over the long term but he's not the one getting slaughtered every week by incredibly impatient fans who can't stand the idea of a sideways pass nevermind waiting a year or two for promotion...  And Mel disagreed.

just a thought.

Archived