Mel Morris Speaks

drgoodspeak

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Now, on the BBC:

Derby County owner Mel Morris insists promotion was never the aim this season and says head coach Paul Clement was sacked because of his short-term view.

Clement only lasted for eight months despite the Rams being fifth in the Championship, five points off top spot.

Morris told BBC East Midlands Today: "Up until the last couple of weeks we've been trying to work with Paul to get him to embrace the plans we set.

"But I just had no belief that was going to happen."

Morris added: "Paul's horizon was shorter term than ours. With all good intent I think Paul had a slightly different view.

"We wanted to build on the squad, develop them, get on a rising tide of performance and let that carry us through into the Premier League - whether that was this season, next season or beyond. I think, for Paul, that was too long a view.

Morris added: "Paul's horizon was shorter term than ours. With all good intent I think Paul had a slightly different view."

"We wanted to build on the squad, develop them, get on a rising tide of performance and let that carry us through into the Premier League - whether that was this season, next season or beyond. I think, for Paul, that was too long a view."

Then why bloody appoint him the first place?! Surely these are the things you should have both been discussing during the interview process!

Just now, cosmic said:

The why bloody appoint him the first place?! Surely these are the things you should have both been discussing during the interview process!

Perhaps Paul did not have such contrasting views when he was being offered a lot of money and the head coach job at a decent sized club? 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Perhaps Paul did not have such contrasting views when he was being offered a lot of money and the head coach job at a decent sized club? 

Shame, because it was a match made in heaven on paper. He had time to build here but instead (from what Mel alludes to) he was being too ambitious and trying to rush success in his first season, by hook or by crook?

To be honest though, I'm taking everything I read on both sides with a pinch of salt right now.

Just now, cosmic said:

Shame, because it was a match made in heaven on paper. He had time to build here but instead (from what Mel alludes to) he was being too ambitious and trying to rush success in his first season, by hook or by crook?

Obviously open to some interpretation but that's definitely what it looks like. Saw this job as a short term stepping stone in his (what he thought must have been nailed on) successful managerial career. 

Glad Mel has spoken and i dont disagree with his strategy and ambitions for the club.However we seriously need to ensure  the next appointment is the right one ,a manger who has control of signings ,departures and coaching staff. ,

Mel then needs to surround himself with the best people to run a football club ,the likes of Sam  and take a back seat.

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

To be honest though, I'm taking everything I read on both sides with a pinch of salt right now.

One thing that has just sprung to mind, if this is the mindset MM wants than maybe Moyes would be a good bet.

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

what's he doing spunking 25m away in 2 windows then if promotion isn't the primary aim? 

You'd have to ask someone with 25m to spunk away. 

Just now, Palmo said:

Given his response, I think it is fair enough. If he thought they had contrasting views about the future, maybe he was right to separate. Only time will tell.

Actually, time will tell us very little. Unless you're tracking a second timeline in which Clement wasn't sacked yesterday and comparing the two. 

9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah all this stuff was talked about when he was appointed, but who hasn't said what they want to hear in a job interview?

The one thing that doesn't add up is quite why Mel went so **** or bust with the Jan signings if he was pulling in the opposite direction to Clement

5 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

what's he doing spunking 25m away in 2 windows then if promotion isn't the primary aim? 

Buying players who he thinks are flair?

Olsson, Camara, Ince, Blackman, Butterfield, Johnson... All have an element of 'wow' to their play previously...

Archived