Shotton to Birmingham

CornwallRam

I personally think Shotton is a useful squad player with his versatility, although as others have pointed out he's not really good enough in any one position.

That said, I would rather see one or two others go out on loan rather than him - maybe Hanson for some experience and Weimann to get him playing regularly and with more confidence.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11694/10146729/birmingham-city-sign-ryan-shotton-on-loan-from-derby

Gone according to Sky

Derby County defender Ryan Shotton has joined Birmingham on loan until the end of the season.

The 27-year-old passed a medical on Thursday and should be available for Birmingham's Sky Bet Championship match against Sheffield Wednesday on February 6.

Shotton has started just one game for the Rams this season, the FA Cup win at Hartlepool earlier this month, and has made a further six appearances as a substitute.

I think there's a reasonable defender hidden in there somewhere but he always comes across as a little bit lazy to me, like he thinks he can do it all with minimal effort. Won't really be sorry to see him go and it's good that we're finally trimming some of the fringe players.

Ok at defending, poor distribution let him down.

More of an attacking threat at corners than our other defenders.

He came with a lot of promise but never really looked up to the job, but I wish him well at Brum, maybe he can improve if he gets regular game time.  

quite a few glad to see him go,mystified why we brought a premiership player on good wages to sit on a bench .

And that's on a good day,.i'm sorry,Whitbread-Dawkins-Pearce-Shotton,These type of signings,on wages

alone, before the new recruitment policy would be unacceptable,and could be more to follow

12 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Never rated him particularly highly, but by the same token, don't know exactly what he did to deserve the high levels of critcism from the majority.

Baird can carry the baton now.

Appalling concentration. He lost his man at every set piece. When playing at fullback he forgot to track runners back. For a big bloke, he also constantly got muscled off the ball. Terrible player.

9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't recall him ever having a good game. It's not personal, I don't know the guy, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke.

He's just never played well for a single minute at Derby.

I'm sure he must have done the odd thing right, but I never felt confident that he would be paying attention when the next bal was hurled into our box - one of those players that didn't always seem switched on to what was happening around him (which is a fairly key part of being a defender by trade....)

Would of thought he would have legendary status on here seeing as he scored the equaliser against the Red Dogs on his debut....

Not a bad player, not a great player... Wish him well

Shotton is a strange one. I think the game against Forest last season at the city ground against Antonio completely ruined his confidence despite scoring late in that game. I'm surprised we didn't try him as a cdm last season when thorne,eustace and mascarell were injured because he played there a few times for Stoke and would have provided that steel if you like.

Archived