Tennis

SaintRam

Anyone really follow it? Guessing not really as there's a thread for just about everything else.

Konta and Murray both in the SF of the Australian Open.

Lots of complaining on twitter on the Konta updates about the fact she wasn't born here and doesn't have British parents but she's a British citizen and I'm just happy we have some relevant representation in women's tennis. Hopefully it lasts. 

EDIT: Oh on the note of anyone following it I've just noticed there was a thread for the davis final. So fair enough. But good to have a general thread. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'd rather cheer for her than any of the "proper" British sports stars who live in Monaco for tax reasons.

I did have to google her this morning, though, as I'd never heard of her.

She's been British #1 since October? I think. Has a tenth of the followers on twitter that Heather Watson has, I noticed. Been so depressing having Heather Watson as number 1, and tbh most of the female #1's before that; "<insert name here> goes out in the first round".

She's currently the world #47 but I've read somewhere today she's guaranteed top 30 after reaching the SF

That being said, just have to hope this doesn't blow over and she suddenly becomes irrelevant. But she hasn't exactly come out of nowhere, been beating really good people for a couple of years now.

19 hours ago, SaintRam said:

That being said, just have to hope this doesn't blow over and she suddenly becomes irrelevant. But she hasn't exactly come out of nowhere, been beating really good people for a couple of years now.

Just watched her against Kerber, she looked exhausted at the end, think 2 games in two days at the end of a long tournament for her was too much. Remember she also played 2 rounds of doubles with Heather Watson last week.

She played well the first set and mentally she has been strong, but the second set showed there is still a little gap in class to say the top 10 players. Made 30 odd unforced errors and her head did seem to drop a little towards the end.

No mean feat reaching the semi's even if the draw gods did favour her, she can be proud though and clearly looks destined for a top 20/30 slot. Say that because now she will get seeded for the major tournaments. All she has to do now is hold her form to a consistent level and she will stay at least in that bracket.

The way tennis rankings and seeding work favour the elite players once you break into that bracket. Look at Venus whom Konta beat, she was still world No8 even though her form isn't so great. 

This girl could be around a few years now and Jamie Murray in his 3rd doubles successive final, heady days for British tennis.

She's an Aussie, born in Syndney, moved to Spain at 14 and then England a year later.

9 years in England now she's suddenly British? Sorry but no.

I love how her Wiki entry says she can speak English when she's only lived outside of a English speaking country for 15 months of her life.

6 minutes ago, Daveo said:

She's an Aussie, born in Syndney, moved to Spain at 14 and then England a year later.

I love how her Wiki entry says she can speak English when she's only lived outside of a English speaking country for 15 months of her life.

She's a British Citizen though, I'm not really bothered if she's "British" by blood. If she represents GB I'll support her, and if she keeps playing at a high level and has even a little success it could help to bring more talented youngsters into the game and hopefully eventually a good one that people don't find reason to complain about. 

Tennis will never be that popular until they make it a more accessible sport to play whoever is number 1. Grassroots football complain at the lack of funds but you can pick up a ball and go play in your garden, in a field, on the street wherever.

In Derby now where can a kid with no money go and play tennis? 

It's ok having fitness clubs with these fancy courts but you only get to those at an older age and too late to turn pro.

Most tennis players are from families with money behind them, my Charlie plays tennis down the Country Club, oh ratherrrrr

21 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Tennis will never be that popular until they make it a more accessible sport to play whoever is number 1. Grassroots football complain at the lack of funds but you can pick up a ball and go play in your garden, in a field, on the street wherever.

In Derby now where can a kid with no money go and play tennis? 

It's ok having fitness clubs with these fancy courts but you only get to those at an older age and too late to turn pro.

Most tennis players are from families with money behind them, my Charlie plays tennis down the Country Club, oh ratherrrrr

I suppose that's true. Although I joined a Tennis club when I was young and that makes me doubt it was expensive, as my parents really wouldn't be able to afford it if it was. I should ask them. It was quite hidden away if I recall, somewhere between Bemrose and the Frankie's and Benny's restaurant, but I never really paid attention to car journeys when I was that age lol.

Upon research it was the Littleover Tennis Club.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ah tennis... human pong... giant ping pong... lifesize table tennis... a good way to ruin a good bowl of strawberries and cream.

Used to play tabletennis too but I couldn't get over how much I hated the sound lol.

58 minutes ago, Daveo said:

There was someone whittering on about the same subject on Radio Derby an hour ago - for him, you had to be born somewhere to claim allegiance. Was it you?

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Used to play tabletennis too but I couldn't get over how much I hated the sound lol.

I played table tennis - until that fatal day when my foot went through and I fell off the table.

I used to enjoy playing tennis but was never any good at it - mainly down to a rubbish serve but that would only be cured by some proper tuition - which we couldn't afford. I remember having a killer backhand cross-court shot, though.

I've just started playing badminton again (after a 20 odd year break) with some work guys once a week & I'm really enjoying that. Surprised how quickly the old silky skills have come back.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

There was someone whittering on about the same subject on Radio Derby an hour ago - for him, you had to be born somewhere to claim allegiance. Was it you?

Nope, I don't think you have to be born in the country but spend the majority of your life in the country you are representing. 

Doesnt make any sense that I could go live in Congo for 9 years and represent them in football.

What a loada ****** that is, imagine being a true Trinidadian being kept out the team by him.

Owen Hargreaves playing for England having never even lived here didn't sit right with me either and Chris Martin for Scotland is another joke

Archived