George Thorne: as important as Igor?

Ninos

1 hour ago, Chris Mills said:

Lets not get carried away?

Champions League? Lets see whether he can do well in the PL first if we ever get there.

Don't forget he wasn't making even the West Brom team so to suggest he has potential to play in the biggest Tournament in Europe at this point is far fetched.

He made the West Brom team, he was only sent out on loan to get match fit after his serious injury. If you recall, West Brom fought hard to keep hold of him, and it was only after the 2/3 transfer requests, numerous bids and the infamous 100+ page transfer saga that he signed. 

On another note, if and that's a very big if, he can stay free from serious injury for 5+ years, I can see him looking towards top 8 of the premier league (may it be with us or elsewhere). 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, cannable said:

With us, per game Thorne has averaged 3.51 Tackles, 1.95 Interceptions and 1.21 fouls.

Whilst with us Eustace averaged 2.1 Tackles, 1.3 Interceptions and 1.7 fouls per game. 

Simply not believable statistics

Arguably the best player I remember watching regularly in a Derby County shirt. 

Statistically, he's every manager's dream; he consistently makes the most touches on the pitch, plays with the highest pass completion rate, makes the most tackles, makes the most ball recoveries...etc 

I believe he's England's best defensive midfielder. 

11 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Whilst Thorne is undoubtably one of our most important players in the current crop, Igor was for me up there as one of the best footballers I have witnessed in a Rams shirt in my 51 years. That's quite an accolade given the list of players I have seen.

Charlie George

Bruce Rioch

Eranio

Roy Mac

Colin Todd

Kevin Hector

John Gregory

Shilts

Archie 

David Nish

Some way to go yet George 

you can add Dean Saunders, Mark Wright, Francesco Bianno also to that - what a great club we support

19 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Statistically, he's every manager's dream; he consistently makes the most touches on the pitch, plays with the highest pass completion rate, makes the most tackles, makes the most ball recoveries...etc 

You're wrong, you know he's England's best defensive midfielder!

Probably won't be too popular with my thoughts but here we go:-

As a leader, Igor was too drawer. As a ball playing defender excellent, but as a defender not even the best in the back four.

Thorne is a great player and getting better all the time but to say he is easily the best player in this division, never mind the country, is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, sage said:

If he had the pace of say Hendrick, he would be playing the Prem already. His lack of pace will probably hold him back from being a top player ie International  or top 6 Prem player

you could switch that around and say if Hendrick had Thorne's bravery (willingness to put a foot in), Hendrick would be a top 6 player. Agree? No?

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you could switch that around and say if Hendrick had Thorne's bravery (willingness to put a foot in), Hendrick would be a top 6 player. Agree? No?

I would say more than his bravery, he would also need his touch and passing ability.

When Sammon and Martin briefly played with each other the thought of Martin with Sammon's fitness and pace would have been amazing.

The thought of Sammon with Martin's pace reminded me of Bobby Campbell.  

I rate George Thorne highly and I think he has the potential to play for England one day.

Some of you need to calm down though, think of what you'd have to say if Forest had a thread like this about one of their players on LTLF when they were a top 6 side.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

he isn't even the best midfielder in our squad....hughes is miles better

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

he isn't even the best midfielder in our squad....hughes is miles better

'miles better'.

I would say miles better is a huge distance.

As in Will Hughes is miles better than Paul Thirlwell.

I know you said when we signed Thorne that he'd only played 12 games for us and that he might not be as special as some made out, but you don't need to use hyperbole to prove yourself correct.

I get that you'd really like Thorne to be an average player, but the evidence is stacked against you so far.

No one would agree that Will Hughes is 'miles better'.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

'miles better'.

I would say miles better is a huge distance.

As in Will Hughes is miles better than Paul Thirlwell.

I know you said when we signed Thorne that he'd only played 12 games for us and that he might not be as special as some made out, but you don't need to use hyperbole to prove yourself correct.

I get that you'd really like Thorne to be an average player, but the evidence is stacked against you so far.

No one would agree that Will Hughes is 'miles better'.

Quite a few must if they think we would get £10-£15 millon if we sold Hughes

15 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

Champions League? Lets see whether he can do well in the PL first if we ever get there.

Don't forget he wasn't making even the West Brom team so to suggest he has potential to play in the biggest Tournament in Europe at this point is far fetched.

I said he has the potential. There are two players in our squad who currently have the potential to make it to the highest level, Thorne and Hughes. The likelihood is that neither will, but there's a chance. No one else will. Maybe Christie has a remote chance.

Archived