George Thorne: as important as Igor?

Ninos

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we would have been promoted last year if George hadn't been injured. Stimac was 10 years older than George and played international football and in various European leagues, he was vastly experienced in comparison and his presence on the field was partly because of his experience. But then again McGrath was equally, if not more experienced and he was just as important as Stimac in making sure we stayed up that first season. Stimac was great, but in my opinion he wasn't even the best Croatian to play for us! And in the promotion side, was he more important than Van deLaan?  

I think he was an important part of a team, and as other have pointed out, so is George who in my opinion is no more important than Bradley who is our new Van deLaan

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

This game is a test for George to see if he can dominate lower level Premiership midfielders..Huddlestone and Llivermore or whoever plays.  George cannot run through Huddlestone. Lets's hope that nobody gets injured.A draw is a good result, but a loss would be disastrous. It would not have mattered as much if we had beaten Florist.

Yep going to be an interesting match up. Having watched both Huddlestone and Livermore at Pride Park, granted the teams they played in weren't as good but Thorne is a much better player. But the Hull two combined means that either Butterfield and Hendrick (if PC goes that way) will need to probably have their best performance of the season if we're to win the midfield battle.

It seems to me that the instructions first half vs Cardiff was to retain possession hence why George was going all David Batty'esq, backward and sideways. Then in the second half it was like his shackles were off. A lot more positive in his passing. I read it on here somewhere over the weekend about PC using the first half to suss teams out and then going for them in the second half. We certainly have the players to play possession football and also the threat going forward to get goals. 

4 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Yep going to be an interesting match up. Having watched both Huddlestone and Livermore at Pride Park, granted the teams they played in weren't as good but Thorne is a much better player. But the Hull two combined means that either Butterfield and Hendrick (if PC goes that way) will need to probably have their best performance of the season if we're to win the midfield battle.

Hendrick not strong enough for me to stop them running through our midfield. Surprised that nobody has mentioned Hanson, a bit risky but I think that it is the safest option. Hendrick or Bryson at half time would work for me. If they score first it will be rock hard for us to get back at them.

47 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Hendrick not strong enough for me to stop them running through our midfield. Surprised that nobody has mentioned Hanson, a bit risky but I think that it is the safest option. Hendrick or Bryson at half time would work for me. If they score first it will be rock hard for us to get back at them.

I think for this one I think we need to take the game to them so I'd go with Hendrick. 

Dawson is out and that's a big hole to fill so we need to try and exploit what is likely to be a little bit of an uneasy defence. 

Nowhere near as influential as Igor, I thought he was rubbish against Forest, totally lost and seriously lazy at the end when they walked past him a couple of times. Average against Cardiff too. 

Big game for him on Friday, against a player who many on here rate as the greatest midfielder ever to play for us...! (Huddlestone not Livermore by the way)

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Nowhere near as influential as Igor, I thought he was rubbish against Forest, totally lost and seriously lazy at the end when they walked past him a couple of times. Average against Cardiff too. 

Big game for him on Friday, against a player who many on here rate as the greatest midfielder ever to play for us...! (Huddlestone not Livermore by the way)

Lost in a crowd of rubbish ness that night so he was... 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

GT is the best dispossesor of balls we have seen in a very long time; constantly winning balls with hard tackles, clever body shields or cheeky little lunges and deft pokes. His passing is excellent using both feet not just one, feathering his received balls so that he can move the ball quickly; and that's the unnoticed part. Add to that his goalscoring and then his motivation of others and overall maturity, and we are perhaps seeing the creation of a Derby titan in the mould of Igor. Notice that he's always quickly into the goal celebration group, that he's quick to praise and encourage : as I recall, the first to go to Christie when he limped off, the first to greet Bryson when he came on ... He's always the one encouraging. Never acts annoyed when teammates fail him never throwing up his arms at misplayed passes or lost balls.  He's a major reason for both our defensive goals conceded stats as well as our possession stats. And best of all, he's just 22. 

This forum albeit positive on Thorne so far comes nowhere close to giving him the accolades he deserves. Perhaps it's because his body of work so far is relatively small.

Best midfielder in the Championship ? Easily. most influential player in recent memory to put on a derby shirt? The debate has started ...

if we go up, just like many cited the arrival of Igor under TBE as a prime factor, it may very well be the impact of Thorne that people will cite as a major factor for us doing so again. Its no wonder PC has been beaming about his performances lately, and going on to say there's more to come from him yet, and I for one can't wait to see it.

John Eustace was better at that.

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Best midfielder in the Championship ? Easily.

Totally agree with most of this and well said.

Whilst GT has every chance of being this in the future, Leadbitter is currently the best midfielder in the Championship in my view

8 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I said after Wembley that if we could somehow get Thorne in it would end the pain of the defeat. A couple of months later he was ours and it is far and away the happiest I've been at any signing we've made. I remembering seeing the tweet in a shop and I had the biggest grin. Let's have a look at some of his attributes:

First or second best passer in the club (Hughes the other)

Long range shooting ability

Monstrous presence and tackling ability

Constantly finding space and asking for the ball

Admirably languid (has a touch of European about him) but fast when he needs to be

Devilishly handsome

Let's not forget that he's played less than a fifty matches at this level or above. He has the potential to play in the Champions League. The only way we'll keep him is injuries.

Lets not get carried away?

Champions League? Lets see whether he can do well in the PL first if we ever get there.

Don't forget he wasn't making even the West Brom team so to suggest he has potential to play in the biggest Tournament in Europe at this point is far fetched.

13 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Lets not get carried away?

Champions League? Lets see whether he can do well in the PL first if we ever get there.

Don't forget he wasn't making even the West Brom team so to suggest he has potential to play in the biggest Tournament in Europe at this point is far fetched.

Importantly though, no one can dispute the devilishly handsome!

Archived