George Thorne: as important as Igor?

Ninos

GT is the best dispossesor of balls we have seen in a very long time; constantly winning balls with hard tackles, clever body shields or cheeky little lunges and deft pokes. His passing is excellent using both feet not just one, feathering his received balls so that he can move the ball quickly; and that's the unnoticed part. Add to that his goalscoring and then his motivation of others and overall maturity, and we are perhaps seeing the creation of a Derby titan in the mould of Igor. Notice that he's always quickly into the goal celebration group, that he's quick to praise and encourage : as I recall, the first to go to Christie when he limped off, the first to greet Bryson when he came on ... He's always the one encouraging. Never acts annoyed when teammates fail him never throwing up his arms at misplayed passes or lost balls.  He's a major reason for both our defensive goals conceded stats as well as our possession stats. And best of all, he's just 22. 

This forum albeit positive on Thorne so far comes nowhere close to giving him the accolades he deserves. Perhaps it's because his body of work so far is relatively small.

Best midfielder in the Championship ? Easily. most influential player in recent memory to put on a derby shirt? The debate has started ...

if we go up, just like many cited the arrival of Igor under TBE as a prime factor, it may very well be the impact of Thorne that people will cite as a major factor for us doing so again. Its no wonder PC has been beaming about his performances lately, and going on to say there's more to come from him yet, and I for one can't wait to see it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feathering his balls?

actually i thought he was a bit average for periods v cardiff.

too many easy passes back to shackell, hobbling around like terry hennessey

then he started to play.....to turn, to look for the pass....and of course he scored and created another

thank god

i was starting to get worried. 

Whilst Thorne is undoubtably one of our most important players in the current crop, Igor was for me up there as one of the best footballers I have witnessed in a Rams shirt in my 51 years. That's quite an accolade given the list of players I have seen.

Charlie George

Bruce Rioch

Eranio

Roy Mac

Colin Todd

Kevin Hector

John Gregory

Shilts

Archie 

David Nish

Some way to go yet George 

As great as George is, he's not a patch on Igor.  Yet.  I'll wait until I see him put in a performance like Igor did in the 1-1 draw against Man U at the Baseball Ground.  Eric Cantona was one of the best players in the world at the time and he made him look like an Under 18 striker that had been asked to play 10 mins before kick off.  He took the p1ss all game.  A masterclass in defending...

I said after Wembley that if we could somehow get Thorne in it would end the pain of the defeat. A couple of months later he was ours and it is far and away the happiest I've been at any signing we've made. I remembering seeing the tweet in a shop and I had the biggest grin. Let's have a look at some of his attributes:

First or second best passer in the club (Hughes the other)

Long range shooting ability

Monstrous presence and tackling ability

Constantly finding space and asking for the ball

Admirably languid (has a touch of European about him) but fast when he needs to be

Devilishly handsome

Let's not forget that he's played less than a fifty matches at this level or above. He has the potential to play in the Champions League. The only way we'll keep him is injuries.

People are getting the OPs point confused - it's not whether he is as good as Igor, but whether he has had a similar impact on the season.

Man from Del Monte, he say yes.

Even when he has a bad game by his standards, its not poor, its just average. In my opinion, the back 4 looks a little more relaxed and confident with him in the side. And given what he said about his knees, I'm glad he's got them both out of the way for this season.

You can't deny the impact a fit George Thorne has had on this side - look at the teams from this time last season to this - the only players that are different are him, Shackell, and Ince or Weimann. He's much more inspiring than Mascarell or Eustace, fitter, taller, stronger, scoring more, passing better, tackling better.

The best bit? He's still only 22. Stay injury free, and who knows how far he can go. The acid test will be how he performs in the Prem. Maybe we will see, depending on how we perform in the FA Cup.

Thorne is a unit and doesn't give way in 50/50 challenges, which for a young player going head to head with some big experienced players is impressive. There was one challenge on Saturday where I turned to mate and said that their player bottled it as George just ran straight at him at basically took the ball and ran through him.

If he stays fit he will have a massive impact on the players around him and our season and we will need to go up to keep hold of him for another season.

Importance is often amplified by hindsight, or at least emphasised by it. 

GT cannot be considered anything close to Igor in regards to his importance to the team and the cub until Derby actually have some success with him in the side, not just be unsuccessful without him in the side.

If we get promoted, he stays, and we stay up comfortably with GT getting semi-regular man of the match accolades (in team with (hopefully) new good quality signings, a returning Will Hughes etc.) then I will say he's close to Igor. 

Just a bit early yet.

7 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Igor means God in Croatian...

ok smart alec it doesn't but you get me gist :ph34r:

Means 'Peace Warrior' I believe

This game is a test for George to see if he can dominate lower level Premiership midfielders..Huddlestone and Llivermore or whoever plays.  George cannot run through Huddlestone. Lets's hope that nobody gets injured.A draw is a good result, but a loss would be disastrous. It would not have mattered as much if we had beaten Florist.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

As great as George is, he's not a patch on Igor.  Yet.  I'll wait until I see him put in a performance like Igor did in the 1-1 draw against Man U at the Baseball Ground.  Eric Cantona was one of the best players in the world at the time and he made him look like an Under 18 striker that had been asked to play 10 mins before kick off.  He took the p1ss all game.  A masterclass in defending...

Didn't Igor turn his collar down?

Archived