Sam Longson memorial...

StockholmRam

The club and members of Sams family have been in talks for a few years now. Family, quite rightly in my opinion, wish to see Sam a little better remembered by the club. I don't think they are expecting much. Renaming of an entrance or burger van perhaps!! 

Ive read Sams Story put together from his memoirs by his son in law Bob Mullholland. I'm friends with SAMs grandson Philip who I went to school with, played football with as kids and was invited many times to watch the mighty Rams in my younger days. 

For those of you either too young or not steeped in our famous history, Sam Longson was the chairman who brought Brian Clough to Derby, oversaw the rise from div 2 nobodies to champions of England in 5 years. Then the awful fallout and Cloughs resignation. Brought ex Rams skipper Dave Mckay in as replacement, won another league championship and then sacked Dave ( I think it was Sam that sacked him).

Interesting to talk to SAMs grandson about how the family feel. He says that they feel the dislike of Sam has been very hurtful to them and a lot of it simply " a legend of hate that refuses to subside..there are two sides to every story"!! They were furious at the portrayal by Damned United. Very unfair and not recognizable as Sam at all... 

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since those days and talks to get Sam recognized in some official way have been taking place. Interesting also that the club would not entertain the idea while Nigel Clough was still manager. 

My own personal opinion is that the fella who oversaw our most successful period..twice champions of England..read that again...TWICE.. The only times in our long history should be recognized a lot better and more officially than he is. You know they didn't even want to sell the book in the club shop while Nigel was still manager!! Blimey....Nowt like a grudge...

Wonder what you guys think?  I think this thread could be divisive... 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to see the boardroom named the Sam Longson Suite or similar or maybe a cigar room behind the Director's Box. 

Someone more harsh could suggest his name on the litter bins as he discarded our two most successful managers.

Wasn't around at the time so can only comment from a position of hindsight. 

I've always thought it unfair the way Sam Longson is held in Derby's history. Quite rightly, there is residual frustration at the fall-out with Clough and later McKay (though I have to admit I know much less of the circumstances behind Dave's departure), however as StockholmRam mentions- without him neither of those may have ever been here in the first place. 

I think enough time has passed for him to be recognised to at least the same level as Lionel, either with an entrance or some part of the corporate facilities.  

56 minutes ago, sage said:

Happy to see the boardroom named the Sam Longson Suite or similar or maybe a cigar room behind the Director's Box. 

Someone more harsh could suggest his name on the litter bins as he discarded our two most successful managers.

My understanding was that Clough & Taylor 'discarded' themselves by resigning?

19 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Once the Sam one is sorted I think there are grounds for another for Boycie and Daveo.. Like a 2 headed Bicephalic type thing. Top row of South Stand be a good place. 

You joke but I'am seriously getting concerned that there won't be any room left at the ground for a Daveo statue when I die at this rate. I'll end up with one outside Burger King which could be quite fitting I guess

Could always use the dcfcfans to buy some sort of advertising/sponsorship at the club? You must've sold enough t-shirts by now or received a few bob to keep Chairman Mel's account under sworn secrecy?

The Dcfcfans.uk Stadium sounds better than iPro, or the logo would look nicer than Just Eat.

Go on Daveo, if they aren't gonna give it to you, buy it.

I think that would be a nice touch - people should read his book and see how committed he was in everything connected with Derby County - opened my eyes when I read it.

He ploughed a lot of time and effort into our rich cultural history

Give the man a cigar airing........

Sam was definitely in part responsible for the resignation of Brian Clough - however, without Longson's vision and cash in the first place, we would have never signed King Kevin Hector, employed Brian and Peter, signed Dave Mackay or won the league once, let alone twice.

He deserves to be remembered as the man who made it all possible in the first place.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Jack Kirkland was more to blame for Clough's resignation than Sam.

All Sam did was to stump up the cash for Brian to smash the British transfer fee for a defender, twice!

Didn't it all start after we'd won 1-0 at Old Trafford (first minute goal by Zak if I remember rightly) - with Jack Kirkland basically questioning what Peter Taylor brought to the club, then it went downhill from there?

There ought to be a threshold before people get memorials. My recall is that we weren't fond of Longson and felt that he was not flexible enough with Clough ( though Clough's behaviour was undoubtedly challenging).Not sure owners/directors had the profile in those days that they have now. Chairmen get other things from doing it than memorials. No sure Longson comes anywhere near Lionel Pickering ( and how crap is his memorial - it hardly does justice having a cheap brick arch in front of an entrance) .

9 minutes ago, DRBee said:

There ought to be a threshold before people get memorials. My recall is that we weren't fond of Longson and felt that he was not flexible enough with Clough ( though Clough's behaviour was undoubtedly challenging).Not sure owners/directors had the profile in those days that they have now. Chairmen get other things from doing it than memorials. No sure Longson comes anywhere near Lionel Pickering ( and how crap is his memorial - it hardly does justice having a cheap brick arch in front of an entrance) .

Not even new bricks either, but 2nd hand!

Good idea to have a lounge named after Sam 

i new him in person he deserves more credit 

he loved this club like me and many more like us

Sir Mel is the same as Sam a true fan

He took me to a few games at when I was a kid

wot he didn't no about the Rams not worth knowing

an old pal of his from chapel still attends every home

game at the young age of 96 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Lionel pickerings memorial is the Pride pArk stadium... And the Moor fArm training ground. Plus the memories of eranio, baiiano, stimac and wanchope etc. Not bad really. All these things end in failure unfortunately , cos chairmen stay longer than managers they get to be remembered for the bad stuff too... Pickering should definitely have sold to gadsby and co when he had the chance. And longson should have left before he did so cloughie could at least come back in 1977. 

But at least they weren't maxwell. 

Archived