Super Stephen Warnock

Chris Mills

Warnock's generally been excellent as a second choice left back behind the injured Fozzy, but despite him being one of our senior pros, I feel he needs some specific coaching. What's stopping him being far more effective is that he tends to play sideways-on on the pitch, pretty much facing the opposite touchline. And he's very left-footed.

What this means is that whenever he receives the ball his left-footed touch will always bring the play backwards and inside, narrowing the play and stopping any forward momentum. He needs to turn his body at least 45 degrees anticlockwise so whenever the ball's played to him across the back four he has the option of letting it run across him and keep both him and the play moving forward.

Or have I simply been drinking too much whisky?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Warnock's generally been excellent as a second choice left back behind the injured Fozzy, but despite him being one of our senior pros, I feel he needs some specific coaching. What's stopping him being far more effective is that he tends to play sideways-on on the pitch, pretty much facing the opposite touchline. And he's very left-footed.

What this means is that whenever he receives the ball his left-footed touch will always bring the play backwards and inside, narrowing the play and stopping any forward momentum. He needs to turn his body at least 45 degrees anticlockwise so whenever the ball's played to him across the back four he has the option of letting it run across him and keep both him and the play moving forward.

Too much whisky Carl.  Warnock played really well yet again today, and with Shackell and Butterfield has been our most consistent performer for the last month or two.  I actually think his passing/eye for a pass is very good, it is his options out to the left that are the problem. I used to think Fozzy miscued lots of balls into the crowd, but I am now thinking perhaps with the options available to him, kicking it out of the playing area was on occasions the best/safest option for him.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've been drinking too much too, but surely the issue is the option ahead of him coming inside?  Line balls never seem much of an option, therefore he (subconciously?) comes back inside because otherwise he'll be running up a blind alley.

Can't wait to re-read this tosh explanation tomorrow morning with a hangover.

His passing options are seriously limited. He can go backwards or draw pressure and go looking for midfielders. He usually does the latter and fair play to him for it. He's very good at it. Maybe if Russell or Weimann would be so kind as to not stand hidden in the inside forward position where Warnock would have to slide a pass through a CM and a RB/RM (a pass neither Weimann or Russell could make themselves) then that would be nice. 

He can't even use the outside pass as a dummy option because the winger never goes wide. 

Think he's been brilliant.

Archived