What does the Republic's qualification mean to Derby

JAT

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment it doesn't mean a ****.

It really depends how their games goes next summer, doesn't it? If they play well, increase in fame causes increase in potential selling value. And of course there negative side also. If Ireland does well and qualifies from their group, it will have effect to pre-season training and next season. For example Arsenal's Sanchez. He was excellent at the start of the season but has dipped since and looks knackered. If you skip summer's rest and physique training it's bound to show up later.

I think this is a really good and thought-provoking thread

I suspect the crunch time for Keogh will be after next year's finals, when he has a year left on his contract and he knows what division he is playing in the following season if he stays with Rams. If I were him, for now I would be focussing on helping Derby get promoted and getting maximum game time before the Euros to help his push for first team selection. Thats more than enough to be going on with. And at the same time there is no way the club will be selling him in January anyway, irrespective of the size of offer - there is no logic in selling your best players when on a promotion push if you are in a financially stable position and do not need the money. I would be staggered if the club don't try to tie him down to another contract before then but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't commit for the above reasons.

Of the others the same principles apply. Why should the club sell players well in contract when they are on a promotion run and don't need the money ? It would be madness. How would the club look if they did that and then lost one or more players with a Forsyth-like injury in early Feb or suffered a Bournemouth-style injury crisis ? The only one I can possibly see moving on is Pearce. Having said that, his lack of game time so far hasn't counted against his inclusion in the Eire squad. A move to a premier club in January seems unlikely unless its on loan to fill an injury gap. And there is no way the club would sell or loan him to a Championship competitor, which at this stage rules out half the division at least.

To have them all playing at international level with and against higher calibre players can only be a good thing for both their development (and value)  and therefore the club. 

42 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I think this is a really good and thought-provoking thread

I suspect the crunch time for Keogh will be after next year's finals, when he has a year left on his contract and he knows what division he is playing in the following season if he stays with Rams. If I were him, for now I would be focussing on helping Derby get promoted and getting maximum game time before the Euros to help his push for first team selection. Thats more than enough to be going on with. And at the same time there is no way the club will be selling him in January anyway, irrespective of the size of offer - there is no logic in selling your best players when on a promotion push if you are in a financially stable position and do not need the money. I would be staggered if the club don't try to tie him down to another contract before then but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't commit for the above reasons.

Of the others the same principles apply. Why should the club sell players well in contract when they are on a promotion run and don't need the money ? It would be madness. How would the club look if they did that and then lost one or more players with a Forsyth-like injury in early Feb or suffered a Bournemouth-style injury crisis ? The only one I can possibly see moving on is Pearce. Having said that, his lack of game time so far hasn't counted against his inclusion in the Eire squad. A move to a premier club in January seems unlikely unless its on loan to fill an injury gap. And there is no way the club would sell or loan him to a Championship competitor, which at this stage rules out half the division at least.

To have them all playing at international level with and against higher calibre players can only be a good thing for both their development (and value)  and therefore the club. 

Maybe Pearce goes down the road to Burton to help in their promotion push? I just can't see him getting a significant run of games. If we did get a serious injury we'd just recall and at least he'd have game time under his belt!

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

so you don't think its true then?

You are forgetting that we are going to be in the Prem next season!! ( I do know, and yes we are!!)

and from a players point of view its better to be playing in the same team with

people around you that you are used to than a new club and different players.

If we want them to stay - they'll be on more money anyway.

On 11/17/2015, 2:52:50, deano180 said:

What does it mean to us?

Well, we are producing/improving players to a standard which is competitive at international level.

Hopefully this is the beginning of Mel's vision coming to frutition at first team level, very positive indeed.

Despite the fact that this is indeed true, I've also read somewhere quite recently that this ROI team is considered by a lot of fans to be devoid of the talent/quality which they've had in recent history. Teams containing the likes of Roy/Robbie Keane etc. 

You have to admit that when a Championship RB is your best RB, it doesn't speak volumes for the standard of a team competing at an international level. 

Having said all of that I'm delighted for Keogh, Hendrick and Christie and they'll all hopefully be playing PL football next year with Derby County. 

Up the Rams.

18 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Despite the fact that this is indeed true, I've also read somewhere quite recently that this ROI team is considered by a lot of fans to be devoid of the talent/quality which they've had in recent history. Teams containing the likes of Roy/Robbie Keane etc. 

You have to admit that when a Championship RB is your best RB, it doesn't speak volumes for the standard of a team competing at an international level. 

Having said all of that I'm delighted for Keogh, Hendrick and Christie and they'll all hopefully be playing PL football next year with Derby County. 

Up the Rams.

Harsh on Coleman that is

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎13‎:‎55‎:‎14, MuespachRam said:

All footballers are motivated by money, and I'm not saying that is a bad thing at all, anything that motivates them to play better is all good to me, Keogh, Hendrick, Ronaldo, Messi would all go and play for Stoke if they were offered triple their salary and i don't blame them at all. In January there will be a group of teams that are in the premiershite relegation battle and will see signing a decent centre half as a good move and there are others such as Sunderland who will just blindly throw money at it and then the third category teams like Bournemouth who will be relegated but will be planning for next season to come straight back up....all these are a better prospect than staying at Derby.

Sunderland, Bournemouth and other relegated threatened teams better prospect than Derby !!! Lets see in January, Sunderland make an offer for Keogh and Hendrick to play in a relegation battle with big Sam's wonderful style of football, knowing you've got a good chance of playing championship football again the following season or stay with the Rams enjoying a VERY good chance of getting promotion and playing much better style of football. Also if and when we get promotion, get a slice of the promotion bonus and a chance to getting a bigger wage thrown in as well. Keogh and Hendrick might be Irish but surely they on not stupid.

Archived