What does the Republic's qualification mean to Derby

JAT

Great result last night, really pleased for Republic and especially our players. As the title suggests I've been thinking about what does this mean for the individual players and for the club. My thought process is as follows:

Keogh: Rumours linking him to premiership teams have surfaced plenty of times, Newcastle especially. Personally I think last night's qualification makes this move less likely before the summer! Why? Exactly why! Why would Keogh want ton rock the boat and move away from a  team that has one of the best defensive records this season to any team in the prem where: 1. He may not get a guaranteed start. 2. Likely to conceed more goals, of which with that he's more likely to be a fault for some. O'Neil has already showed faith in Keogh regardless of what national level he plays at. Also come the summer surely he'll likely get a bigger contract if he did decide to go!

Hedrick: Probably not as clear cut as Keogh as he has more competition for his position. I would expect that his performances are going to get better this season so he can improve his chances of locking down a starting place for both club and country. Transfer wise I think this could go either way. From the club's perspective I would have thought it'd be better financially to not even entertain discussions until after this summer.

Pearce: A loan move is likely, mutually agreed by both player and club. Buxton is  gaining fitness so we have cover. Pearce needs game time if he's to secure a ticket to France. We will see him back at Derby though after the summer!

Christie: He's going to be a target, no doubt. However I don't think he'll be looking to move anytime soon. From the club's position it's a matter of matter. If the offer is right...

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope that they do not go into 'avoid injury at all costs' mode at the end of the season when we are fighting for promotion. It would be understandable but promotion, higher profile and extra wages should be their priority. the best way to keep the players that we want is to get promotion.

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Let's hope that they do not go into 'avoid injury at all costs' mode at the end of the season when we are fighting for promotion. It would be understandable but promotion, higher profile and extra wages should be their priority. the best way to keep the players that we want is to get promotion.

Hendrick did mention about staying injury free but I don't think it'll impact his play. I think the scales between promotion and european championships are closer than we'd like though! Derby have had a couple of pops at the cherry already and these players probably will be playing in the prem next season anyway. Euro's comes once every four years for a consistent international side, less so for the republic!

I think it will be massive for Keogh. I think his place in the squad is secure after 4 back to back starts (playing brilliantly as well), but he will want a starting place, and will be going head to head with John O'Shea. Hopefully that ensures that he's on his A game week in week out. I'm sure O'Neil and Keane will be watching us regularly before the summer! 

3 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Great result last night, really pleased for Republic and especially our players. As the title suggests I've been thinking about what does this mean for the individual players and for the club. My thought process is as follows:

Keogh: Rumours linking him to premiership teams have surfaced plenty of times, Newcastle especially. Personally I think last night's qualification makes this move less likely before the summer! Why? Exactly why! Why would Keogh want ton rock the boat and move away from a  team that has one of the best defensive records this season to any team in the prem where: 1. He may not get a guaranteed start. 2. Likely to conceed more goals, of which with that he's more likely to be a fault for some. O'Neil has already showed faith in Keogh regardless of what national level he plays at. Also come the summer surely he'll likely get a bigger contract if he did decide to go!

Hedrick: Probably not as clear cut as Keogh as he has more competition for his position. I would expect that his performances are going to get better this season so he can improve his chances of locking down a starting place for both club and country. Transfer wise I think this could go either way. From the club's perspective I would have thought it'd be better financially to not even entertain discussions until after this summer.

Pearce: A loan move is likely, mutually agreed by both player and club. Buxton is  gaining fitness so we have cover. Pearce needs game time if he's to secure a ticket to France. We will see him back at Derby though after the summer!

Christie: He's going to be a target, no doubt. However I don't think he'll be looking to move anytime soon. From the club's position it's a matter of matter. If the offer is right...

What are your thoughts?

Baird as well (Northern Ireland) on a BBC sport article he talks about possibly going out on loan to get more playing time, not really fussed if he does - decent squad player but hasn't been performing. However, leadership, experience and versatility could be crucial come the back end of the season. He is captain remember.

3 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

What are your thoughts?

laughable... why would Keogh stay if he got offered a move to the Premiership...?? i think you are forgetting the amount of stick  his wife got from fans of the club, people who mean absolutely NOTHING to her at all, if he continues to play well for us and Ireland then he will get an offer from a bigger club on more money...so yes that will be a really tough choice for him....

Hendrick of course it would be better to hang on to him until the summer, but again...the offer of more money and he will be off.

Pearce...needs to be playing, he isn't even close to it right now so he will definitely be looking at going

Christie.....again, money....if he gets a bigger offer he will be gone....as all of them would be and who could blame them...?

At least we will be left with Martin, Russell and Bryson...they are going nowhere in the summer! ha ha

9 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Baird as well (Northern Ireland) on a BBC sport article he talks about possibly going out on loan to get more playing time, not really fussed if he does - decent squad player but hasn't been performing. However, leadership, experience and versatility could be crucial come the back end of the season. He is captain remember.

Baird won't need to go out on loan. I think fixture congestion on the run up to Xmas will give him plenty of opportunities to get a run of games, albeit in a few positions. Also with Forsyth being out we can't afford for a full back to go out on loan.

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

laughable... why would Keogh stay if he got offered a move to the Premiership...?? i think you are forgetting the amount of stick  his wife got from fans of the club, people who mean absolutely NOTHING to her at all, if he continues to play well for us and Ireland then he will get an offer from a bigger club on more money...so yes that will be a really tough choice for him....

Hendrick of course it would be better to hang on to him until the summer, but again...the offer of more money and he will be off.

Pearce...needs to be playing, he isn't even close to it right now so he will definitely be looking at going

Christie.....again, money....if he gets a bigger offer he will be gone....as all of them would be and who could blame them...?

At least we will be left with Martin, Russell and Bryson...they are going nowhere in the summer! ha ha

I think you are forgetting the fact that they are all under contract so I would imagine it will be up to PC. We are a different animal under Mel so don't have to sell. Obviously come the end of the season some may only have a year left on their contracts but if they are playing well and we are up there why would we sell. Only stupid bids could possibly change it.

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Which bigger clubs would want them? cheaper and more importantly younger players abroad.

35 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I'm not saying he won't go, I'm saying it won't happen in January. Yes he will get bigger offers, one of those may be an extension of his current Derby contract, but I don't think it's all about money. In regards to fans, sometimes it's better the devil you know.

12 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

I'm not saying he won't go, I'm saying it won't happen in January. Yes he will get bigger offers, one of those may be an extension of his current Derby contract, but I don't think it's all about money. In regards to fans, sometimes it's better the devil you know.

All footballers are motivated by money, and I'm not saying that is a bad thing at all, anything that motivates them to play better is all good to me, Keogh, Hendrick, Ronaldo, Messi would all go and play for Stoke if they were offered triple their salary and i don't blame them at all. In January there will be a group of teams that are in the premiershite relegation battle and will see signing a decent centre half as a good move and there are others such as Sunderland who will just blindly throw money at it and then the third category teams like Bournemouth who will be relegated but will be planning for next season to come straight back up....all these are a better prospect than staying at Derby.

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

All footballers are motivated by money, and I'm not saying that is a bad thing at all, anything that motivates them to play better is all good to me, Keogh, Hendrick, Ronaldo, Messi would all go and play for Stoke if they were offered triple their salary and i don't blame them at all. In January there will be a group of teams that are in the premiershite relegation battle and will see signing a decent centre half as a good move and there are others such as Sunderland who will just blindly throw money at it and then the third category teams like Bournemouth who will be relegated but will be planning for next season to come straight back up....all these are a better prospect than staying at Derby.

Ha! Good one!

Hey guys I think this will give jeff that extra lift that he needs right now and against red scum he looked like less than former self.

When we come to sell him value probley gone from around 3m mark upto 6m but I a good torment could easly go upto 12m.

Keogh he has been a beast this season and won everything apart from red scum game everyone had a bad game.

Christie is growing in every game he plays in. And getting back to his old self when first joined us last season.

Peace even through he is not in the side right now but does give paul clemment to think about in doubt he was watching the game.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The vast majority of footballers aren't solely motivated by money. There's other considerations. 

Otherwise there'd be more transfer requests than undisclosed fees

True and this is why Grimsby are struggling to get back into the Football League, the women here are not a great standard and you haven't got the cast of Hollyoaks down the road in Cheshire, you've got Ssausagehorpe. 

You see I moved here because of this as I thought it would be the only place where even I couldn't go through life being single. 

Archived