Baird article

Dr. Gonzo

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34832867   

Chris Baird keen for Derby County game time before Euro 2016

Derby County captain Chris Baird is keen to get more game time with his club before Northern Ireland's Euro 2016 finals campaign in France.

The versatile Baird is an important part of Michael O'Neill's international squad but has not been playing regularly for his Championship team in recent weeks.

"It's just a case of waiting and biding my time," the 33-year-old said.

"It's a matter of waiting for my chance and then taking it when it comes."

Baird has spoken to manager Paul Clement about his role with the Rams, having been installed as captain on his arrival at Pride Park in the summer.

Reluctant to change winning team

After starting the season at right-back, Baird has made just two substitute appearances since the start of October.

With his country heading to their first major tournament for 30 years, he is mindful of the need for game time but knows he is not far from the first XI.

"Me and the manager have had a few chats and I understand where he's coming from because he doesn't want to change a winning team," he said.

"Obviously it's frustrating but I've been in this position before, though not as the captain which is a bit stranger. The main thing is the boys are winning and playing really well.

"God forbid injuries happen, but you'll have suspensions and so on. It's a long season in the Championship, so I expect to play.

"If it didn't and it was nearing the end of the season, I'd maybe have to sort something out in terms of going out on loan. That's further down the line. A lot of things can happen."

Doesnt sound all that happy. but barring injuries, there's very little chance of him getting any game time really. so his eyes are elsewhere i'd imagine. apologies if this was already posted

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's up against Warnock, Lowe and Cyrus.

If he's not backing himself against those players then I would be massively dissapointed in him. 

Darren Bent has the hardest job. Then the CB's. Everyone else should be ready, waiting and confident of getting in ahead of the competition. 

Even Hanson should be thinking about Thorne picking up cards or injuries and him possibly getting games. 

That Michael Keane was a tit. Comes from United and then in the end needed to go somewhere he'll get games. What? You came from Man United and thought you'd waltz into the team? You think you have a future at United but you can't be arsed to stick around and fight Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton? Bye then. 

Understand what Baird is saying but even mentioning the possibility of a loan has irritated me a tiny bit. 

He's not up against world beaters. He will be at Euro 2016. 

Show us why you should be playing man!

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's up against Warnock, Lowe and Cyrus.

If he's not backing himself against those players then I would be massively dissapointed in him. 

Darren Bent has the hardest job. Then the CB's. Everyone else should be ready, waiting and confident of getting in ahead of the competition. 

Even Hanson should be thinking about Thorne picking up cards or injuries and him possibly getting games. 

That Michael Keane was a tit. Comes from United and then in the end needed to go somewhere he'll get games. What? You came from Man United and thought you'd waltz into the team? You think you have a future at United but you can't be arsed to stick around and fight Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton? Bye then. 

Understand what Baird is saying but even mentioning the possibility of a loan has irritated me a tiny bit. 

He's not up against world beaters. He will be at Euro 2016. 

Show us why you should be playing man!

Yep he shouldn't even be thinking about a loan at this stage, when the captain say's he want's out if he's not in the team, then it's time to look for a new captain. 

I would like to know the questions asked to Baird or was he freely moaning off his own back.

So then Chris, you're not getting many games recently, is this a concern for you ahead of Euro 2016 and will you be looking to go out on loan....

I also have no issues with any player frustrated by a lack of games, it's the ones in the squad that are not bothered whilst collecting a decent wage you should be worried about. 

Baird would be right in thinking I've been made captain, that means I'm the first on the team sheet, pretty standard really. Yes you can drop a captain for the odd game but Baird doesn't look like getting back in the team.

Thankfully we have players on the pitch that have captained this team or others so it's not a huge loss, got away with this one Clement. Next season maybe a little more thought is needed when selecting the captain.

Saying that, could be seen as being harsh, Baird was a stand out performer in pre season.

22 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yep he shouldn't even be thinking about a loan at this stage, when the captain say's he want's out if he's not in the team, then it's time to look for a new captain. 

He might have had a good pre season I didn't see any of that, but what he's done since, excluding a rant at a few whiners early on, has hardly nailed his place down. Not once convinced me he's anything but a fill in squad player.

Christie came back and showed some purpose and renewed confidence on the back of his Irish experiences, Baird can have little complaint with that as Christie presently is showing far greater ability to influence games for me.

That said Chritie is still learning and I'd expect the odd mistake, which may yet test his performance and/or confidence. Then it's up to Baird to show a steady hand and reliability that Warnock was doing challenging Forsyth by coming in odd matches. Don't think he will myself, but happy to be proved wrong by him.

Have to wonder how the questions were phrased, as captain or not, speaking too publicly about his personal needs, he must know the team comes first and it will leave him open to criticism.

12 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I would like to know the questions asked to Baird or was he freely moaning off his own back.

So then Chris, you're not getting many games recently, is this a concern for you ahead of Euro 2016 and will you be looking to go out on loan....

I also have no issues with any player frustrated by a lack of games, it's the ones in the squad that are not bothered whilst collecting a decent wage you should be worried about. 

Baird would be right in thinking I've been captain, that means I'm the first on the team sheet, pretty standard really. Yes you can drop a captain for the odd game but Baird doesn't look like getting back in the team.

Thankfully we have players on the pitch that have captained this team or others so it's not a huge loss, got away with this one Clement. Next season maybe a little more thought is needed when selecting the captain.

Saying that, could be seen as being harsh, Baird was a stand out performer in pre season.

........because evryone was "getting to know" one another, then lost form when the season started anyway, and we discovered or possibly rediscovered a system that suited our squad better, one that requires one or both fullbacks to play to a high tempo and fast pace whilst covering more ground than many of the other players.meaning its a young mans game. but he's like an old version of phil neville for us. a capable bit part playr, with experience and having shown precious leadership quilities, and thats why we bought him isnt it? i think youre right about us not knowing the exact context of his answers daveo, but im with alpha on the fact that our "captain" is even mentioning loan time is abit out of order

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

This...

I do feel a bit like Clement is getting loads of the difficult elements of being a new manager at times... High expectations, a load of signings made who possibly weren't his choice, every other team in the league playing ultra defensive against us... PLUS having to deal with a squad of players all who want to be first team regulars...

That said... He's also got 2 international RBs... So probably not too much to whinge about...

We've had a few 'captains' and PoTY's from other clubs that haven't necessarily forged a great Derby career.

Some just haven't risen above their (sometimes) mediocre new colleagues in more spartan times at Derby.

In Baird's case, the squad is strong and (thankfully) deep. The club board & management have set out overtly ambitious objectives. Promotion is the main aim so Clement has to keep up the points' chase and a top-six challenge.

Early season, the team just wasn't 'dynamic' and had to be tweaked. The football has flowed better and been more productive, with an in-form 'maverick' full-back in Christie staking his claim, and the expensively-reinforced midfield now has more power, talent and goal-threat than 'steady' battlers like Baird can provide.

Baird may get opportunities to shine - and I too am not very keen on his public outpourings of personal ambitions.

There's no 'I' in team - though I acknowledge that Chris did a good job in slotting in under pressure when subbing for the bruised Stephen Warnock vs. the elbow-flailing QPR bunch.

Perhaps Chris Martin should have been captain from the get-go - but I feel Clement initially wanted to break the 'fear & losing' mentality by using a new signing as leader. Paul did say then that several could be readily be leaders, so I don't think Baird has been short-changed.

If all were fit and took the same gripes to the media (or were 'encouraged' by reporters to air their views!), the New Year might see Pearce, Bryson, Bent, Butterfield, Hanson, Grant, Bucko...even Will Hughes...all 'going off on one' 'cos they may not be in the team or the 18.

Who'd be Paul Clement?  :o

We have transparency with Mel and Sam and we are delighted with it.

Clement is giving honest interviews and we are delighted with it.

Honesty and transparency from player...and we can't take it as it's too personal and gets too close to us.

Whatever question was asked or his words were taken from conversation, it doesn't really matter. He, experienced captain, should know better what to say. If he is afraid to lose his place in international team, he should go knocking on Clement's door and ask for a loan. Not to talk about it publicly.

FFS.

16 hours ago, Ramarena said:

he said... only if he didnt get any game time, much further down the line.

There is a lot more of the article sayign he will bide his time, and the team have been doing well etc etc.

Talk about only reading what you want to, because you dislike the guy for whatever reason.

9 hours ago, jagerbob said:

he said... only if he didnt get any game time, much further down the line.

There is a lot more of the article sayign he will bide his time, and the team have been doing well etc etc.

Talk about only reading what you want to, because you dislike the guy for whatever reason.

Why did you make this up??????

I don't dislike him at all. He's a useful player, who's done o.k. My point is an experienced professional and captain should be having that type of discussion with the manager, not the press. 

9 hours ago, cosmic said:

FINALLY, someone steps up to the plate and gives the East Stand someone to boo. I'm happy for them, I bet they've not felt part of this season so far.

East stand have already had an in-match barney with him.

I don't think he should saying in public that if he doesn't get game time he'll look for a loan to get a regular start, how's about working your ****** off and claim a place at a club that is paying your wages, mardy get.

I don't see what's wrong with a player being candid. If a club brings you in and makes you captain you'd expect to play. That's it. He's just saying what he thinks he doesn't have to abide by some sort of a fictitious verbal restraining order. Not a big deal he's just being honest. Why's he being mardy? Fact of the matter is that right now we are trying to play swashbuckling football on the back of a stout defence, and he doesn't swashbuckle. 

Archived