Next 6

Bris Vegas

I think some people have forgotten what happened last time we were top of the league!

By all means enjoy the results and performances we are having but to say "beat these 6 and we're virtually promoted" is to forget what happened last season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expectations running away with some of you, folks.

Gotta do the work first - for the whole season!

Mac got plenty of things wrong (and a fair few things right) but he repeated the mantra that the season only starts in the last 10 games - and sure enough, look what happened.

Everything else beforehand is just preparation, a launching pad for honours and glory.

Chuffed as anyone with the whole atmosphere and positivity around the club, squad, stadium and fans (and very optimistic about our chances, at last) - but trying to keep a lid on it until March comes around and then seeing if we're still strong, fit and hungry when it all comes down to the chase.

We're in a block of six I'd look at finishing first. PC set us a target of beating 13 points from these six and we've got 10 from 4. 4 points from the next two then a little break, re-group and go again. Some very tough fixtures to come, but they'll be tough for our opposition too.

QPR (H)

Forest (A)

Cardiff (H)

Hull (A)

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Brighton (H)

In isolation, you'd have to say those back to back away games in Yorkshire will be a stern test. QPR are an odd one, one week they'll produce an excellent performance, yet the next they'll put in a stinker. However, who's to say something won't happen in that time? Hull could lose a few. Personally, after the summer they had transfers wise, I'm surprised they are up there, they seemed to lose a lot of good players, but not really replace them to the same standard. But, they have reaped the rewards of keeping their manager.

We shouldn't fear any team. Confidence is high, not just in the starting 11, or even the 18, but right the way through Derby. 

Heart says 18 points.

Head says 12 points, WDWDDW. Pessimism taps me on the shoulder and says it thinks we will lose to Hull.

Winning your home games, and drawing your away games though, that's a recipe for success. 

26 minutes ago, Woodypecker said:

Expectations running away with some of you, folks.

Gotta do the work first - for the whole season!

Mac got plenty of things wrong (and a fair few things right) but he repeated the mantra that the season only starts in the last 10 games - and sure enough, look what happened.

Everything else beforehand is just preparation, a launching pad for honours and glory.

Chuffed as anyone with the whole atmosphere and positivity around the club, squad, stadium and fans (and very optimistic about our chances, at last) - but trying to keep a lid on it until March comes around and then seeing if we're still strong, fit and hungry when it all comes down to the chase.

I'm pretty sure that's failing to cut much ice with Newcastle fans too.

I think Mac's Tyneside declarations differ; it's now: "We're improving all the time..." from him (LOL), which is not quite the football truth that the last ten games will sort out the quality from the chaff.

Mac hasn't got time to worry about the run-in yet @ Newcastle.....for Derby, it's the final lap - and the main objective IMHO.

Mel Morris said at the forum that he thought the club & team were perhaps a little ahead of his expectations but we all know (as Mel does!) that it's about maintaining impetus and reaping reward for all the work done at all levels.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

QPR (H)

Forest (A)

Cardiff (H)

Hull (A)

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Brighton (H)

Some cracking games coming up for us. Five in the top half and a little matter of the EM derby at the dump.

While some could argue that every game in this league is just as difficult, I think it's now getting to the stage where that's becoming a bit of an outdated myth. The top teams are more difficult than the bottom teams.

We've been on a great run, but the next six games are going to be interesting. Is there anyone to fear? They probably now fear Derby just as much. That double header aganst Hull and Wednesday looks particularly nasty.

I can't see us going undefeated through it all. 11 points would suffice.

First two are still in the Clement's 'see if you can get at least 13 out of 18' series. So far we have 10 out of 12. He declared this six games to be winnable.

Cardiff starts the new series of five or six, probably with 13 points out of 18 being the target. Which teams now expect to beat us, home or away? Hull and Sheff Wed would probably settle for a draw now.

Clement probably expects Derby to dominate, six games at a time.

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

That's what I'm saying, beat those teams we are virtually promoted, as we face some of the toughest opposition in the league. Time to see exactly how good a team and manager we have.

That's Forest fan talk, when they won the league last season/August.

When we had a decent lead at the top last season, or indeed in the season when we eventually got promoted through the playoffs under Davros, we were well into the second half of the campaign, and on both occasions it went alarmingly tits-up.

I think I'd give it another 30 games before I used the expression 'virtually promoted'.

The best football of the season is usually played prior to xmas.

under schteve we had 7 straight wins at this time of year.

the test is to be able to keep it going through the freezing cold of january, february and march when you get the pulled hamstrings, other injuries and bruises.

but the squad is much stronger now, certainly in comparison to our rivals.

i'm allowing myself to get a little giddy and i suggest you all do the same.

I do not that think that there is a team in this league that can dominate us. All teams are susceptible to 30 metre speculative shots, dodgy penalties, injuries and unfair sendings off but all things being equal we have no team to fear, home or away

When we play Thorne, Johnson and Butterfield, we can snuff out any strong opposition midfielder who is causing problems.

Difference this year is the strength of our squad. Can't see us fading like we did last year, as we have strength in depth. And we can still get better in January. 

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Difference this year is the strength of our squad. Can't see us fading like we did last year, as we have strength in depth. And we can still get better in January

I thought the same this time last year. We had a strong squad, and we seemingly got stronger in January yet we still crashed and burned.

Would I choose our current group of players over the group of players we had last season? Absolutely. But I try not to get prematurely excited (not in that way) due to experience of supporting Derby.

We look strong, but whether we can maintain it is a whole other matter.

48 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I thought the same this time last year. We had a strong squad, and we seemingly got stronger in January yet we still crashed and burned.

Would I choose our current group of players over the group of players we had last season? Absolutely. But I try not to get prematurely excited (not in that way) due to experience of supporting Derby.

We look strong, but whether we can maintain it is a whole other matter.

Yes that's all true our squad looked very strong last year when we got bent and ince and lingard. But it someone went tits up. Still not sure how, but injuries were a factor plus we weren't as strong in some areas as we thought. It wasn't just losing martin and thorne. Also our defence looked weak and so did our midfield. Bent and ince still scored the goals but it wasn't enough. 

of course injuries could still stop us, and there's some very tough competition from the other teams in the top 5. We are not Certs for promo by any means. But if we keep this run up I don't see us fading like last year. I don't see us finishing as low as 8th that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

Never really understood this whole need for at the end of the season thing. If you get 90 points from your first 30 games then lose the rest you'll probably go up. 

Look who's talking. Mr Matchday thread ;)

Are you going for vacation after the game 31 or what's the reason of your pessimism?

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes that's all true our squad looked very strong last year when we got bent and ince and lingard. But it someone went tits up. Still not sure how, but injuries were a factor plus we weren't as strong in some areas as we thought. It wasn't just losing martin and thorne. Also our defence looked weak and so did our midfield. Bent and ince still scored the goals but it wasn't enough. 

of course injuries could still stop us, and there's some very tough competition from the other teams in the top 5. We are not Certs for promo by any means. But if we keep this run up I don't see us fading like last year. I don't see us finishing as low as 8th that's for sure. 

I can't see a catastrophic collapse like last season. It could happen, but I just can't see it.

I think we'll be top 6 as an absolute minimum. The bookies back this up. If you want a bet on us to finish in the top 6 the best you'll get is 1/5. I wouldn't mind betting that we won't fall outside the top six for the rest of the season now.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Look who's talking. Mr Matchday thread ;)

Are you going for vacation after the game 31 or what's the reason of your pessimism?

I'm not being passimistic, just stating it doesn't really matter when you win the games whether its the start or end of the season. What matters is points at the end!

Archived