Mel Morris new owner

Derbylad01

I'm shocked its taken so long to be officially announced or that some people didn't know.

I agree, I think Bent dropped a clanger in his signing interview speaking of the 'new owner', guess they waited until the transfer window closed to help negotiations, that went well didn't it :ph34r:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we struck lucky having foreign investors who didn't ruin the ethos of the club. I must admit I was a little disappointed there wasn't more American-style improvements to the fan experience such as better service and half-time entertainment.

Perhaps Mel will bring that.

I think I'd settle for 90 minutes entertainment thank you very much!

In good hands. Onwards and upwards!!

The club is in good hands still as Mr. Morris is no ones fool, he can't possibly have made the vast fortune he has by mistake. 

Thank you to our previous owners/saviours without them we would be in dire straights.

I hope we will still see them on a match day from time to time and they can witness our appreciation of what they have done and what Mr. Morris has continued to do. 

Just to clarify - didn't Mel make his millions by selling his shares in Candy Crush? He's nothing to do with it anymore is he?

Also wish to thank GSE. Knew we were better off from the start with their sensible business model, they had to deal with some impatient idiot fans throughout (as seems to be a continuing trend). They always had the clubs best interests at heart.

Be interesting to see how the reign of Mel will end. Crippling debts? I bloody hope not. I liked us being financially stable, no one wants us to do a Portsmouth.

Congrats and good luck Mel, cheers for bankrolling the new squad. (And please, no Gatsby).

Can't say I am over the moon with this. I've said for a while that it felt like something had changed at the club and it seems to be since MM has been around.

We've gone from a club that was building a cheap team and introducing our own academy players to a club has tried to buy success.

Dont think we will be much of an attractive proposition to youngsters now. And we will be more attractive to players who's primary concern is money.

Hope it works out well but, if we achieve success, it won't feel as sweet now that we have used the method that we have been lambasting other clubs for over the last 5 years.

As an aside, I wonder if MM feels additional pressure when it appears Clement was his choice?

I think we struck lucky having foreign investors who didn't ruin the ethos of the club. I must admit I was a little disappointed there wasn't more American-style improvements to the fan experience such as better service and half-time entertainment.

Perhaps Mel will bring that.

Why would we want American style improvements? Why would Mel bring American improvements?

We are English, he's English, we play in England. Not everything beyong p1ssing on your own shoes on a crumbling terrace with a lumpy bovril is 'American style'.

Just to clarify - didn't Mel make his millions by selling his shares in Candy Crush? He's nothing to do with it anymore is he?

Also wish to thank GSE. Knew we were better off from the start with their sensible business model, they had to deal with some impatient idiot fans throughout (as seems to be a continuing trend). They always had the clubs best interests at heart.

Be interesting to see how the reign of Mel will end. Crippling debts? I bloody hope not. I liked us being financially stable, no one wants us to do a Portsmouth.

Congrats and good luck Mel, cheers for bankrolling the new squad. (And please, no Gatsby).

Mel made millions by building the Mickleover Court Hotel, running a business from there for a while then selling it. Starting up Udate with other local business men, starting other 'techy' ventures which im sure he still has interests in. becoming a shareholder of King which when FLOATED he received a reported £500m.....so he didnt sell, he floated. I think he is the Chairman of King but im not sure....plus he does other stuff that is generally not widely reported

Football clubs are often successful as dictatorships with strong leadership at the helm. If that's the way forward then we could do no better than having a successful local businessman and fan at the helm.

I sometimes wonder if I'd buy Derby if I became a billionnaire, but I don't think I would because there are more worthwhile things for humanity that I would like to spend my money on. But I'm quite happy for someone else to, as I hope and expect this will give me much pleasure over the next few years.

Bring it on. Break a leg, Mel. Everyone is willing you to succeed and for this to be the most successful investment you've ever made!

too much excitement for one week.........................

Thanks to the American consortium for stabilising us  and hope Mels' dream doesn't turn sour.........or go belly up like it did for Lionel.

PS-----Please no PG on the board !

Strange, do not forget that but for PG there may well be no club to be on the board of.

Mel made millions by building the Mickleover Court Hotel, running a business from there for a while then selling it. Starting up Udate with other local business men, starting other 'techy' ventures which im sure he still has interests in. becoming a shareholder of King which when FLOATED he received a reported £500m.....so he didnt sell, he floated. I think he is the Chairman of King but im not sure....plus he does other stuff that is generally not widely reported

Think this is where I was confused. Cheers for clarifying. Probably worth downloading that game then in time for January...

Congratulations Mel, I know you wouldn't have made this decision lightly. You are living the dream, long may it continue and be sweet. 

Thanks to GSE, stabilising when needed and we needed it. 

Great at time to be a Rams fan. 

You took the words right out of my mouth (Meatloaf).

For those concerned Mel has heavily invested in the Academy so isn't turning his back on the evolutionary approach, but we needed a boost. The only foot he's put wrong is having a period of new players coming in this summer before resolving the McClaren issue, if we could have swapped Bent or Weimann for a left winger with pace, I'd have placed a hefty bet on us to win the championship.

£10m is a lot for us to spend in one day, but we wouldn't have had to spend half of that but for the injury to Hughes.

Strange, do not forget that but for PG there may well be no club to be on the board of.

This is a good point. But, didn't he want GSE out, claiming they weren't good for the club? Didn't he propose a different financial approach to steading the ship?

edit: reworded and deleted some stuff incase I get a call from his lawyers.

Can't say I am over the moon with this. I've said for a while that it felt like something had changed at the club and it seems to be since MM has been around.

We've gone from a club that was building a cheap team and introducing our own academy players to a club has tried to buy success.

Dont think we will be much of an attractive proposition to youngsters now. And we will be more attractive to players who's primary concern is money.

Hope it works out well but, if we achieve success, it won't feel as sweet now that we have used the method that we have been lambasting other clubs for over the last 5 years.

As an aside, I wonder if MM feels additional pressure when it appears Clement was his choice?

Do you believe that young players wouldn't find us an attractive proposition? Have you not seen our training ground? We are Cat 1 so get all the best opposition and players are still breaking into the first team if they are good enough. Hasn't Jamie Hanson just broke into the first team who has been here since 7?

The method we have employed hasn't got us any success though and why wouldn't it be as sweet having a Derby fan as an owner instead of a group of American investors?

An awful lot of people forget that if Gadsby had not been able to prise the club out of the grubby mitts of the Amigos, we would have by now been watching Burton or Ilson.

You took the words right out of my mouth (Meatloaf).

For those concerned Mel has heavily invested in the Academy so isn't turning his back on the evolutionary approach, but we needed a boost. The only foot he's put wrong is having a period of new players coming in this summer before resolving the McClaren issue, if we could have swapped Bent or Weimann for a left winger with pace, I'd have placed a hefty bet on us to win the championship.

£10m is a lot for us to spend in one day, but we wouldn't have had to spend half of that but for the injury to Hughes.

Not for the midfield, he would of spent it elsewhere

Archived