Dave mackay statue

Belper Ram 1988

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodypecker wrote :" Dave underlined that success with victory over Everton (Ball, Harvey, Kendall et al) in the next round @ BBG, after taking a 0-0 from Goodison Park. (Yes...then his own goal eliminated us in the next round at giant-killing Swindon!)"

Actually, the own goal was John Robson's  -Don Rodger's shot hit him on the shoulder, the ball looped up into the air completely leaving Les Green flat footed and helpless as it dropped into the net.

I stand corrected - had it in my mind that Dave made the deflection. I remember now, it looped up horribly as one of those freak goals.

Robson was a Rams legend too, an ever-present that season (68-69) at only 18, in his first year at Derby.

The season Derby won the 2nd Division by 9 points - under the 2 points-for-a-win system...that Swindon defeat was a rare setback.

I do remember Robson dashing up the left wing and thrashing in a goal at the City Ground in 1971-72, in a 2-0 win there on our way to the Div 1 Title!

Woodypecker wrote :" Dave underlined that success with victory over Everton (Ball, Harvey, Kendall et al) in the next round @ BBG, after taking a 0-0 from Goodison Park. (Yes...then his own goal eliminated us in the next round at giant-killing Swindon!)"

Actually, the own goal was John Robson's  -Don Rodger's shot hit him on the shoulder, the ball looped up into the air completely leaving Les Green flat footed and helpless as it dropped into the net.

to be fair, it didn't need much of a loop to clear Les. Who was a good keeper despite being only 5' 8"

We Mosses were there that day, the BBG was at it's best and so was the football.

BTW, Dave was usually described as "barrel chested!"

absolute treat , never to be repeated , except for Benfica , Real Madrid , Spurs , (twice,at least)

Heady days ..

Fitting tribute and handled with class! 

When's the statue of the King being unveiled? Please don't wait until it's a posthumous gesture!! Show him what he meant to countless thousands. My hero! No. 10 should be 'retired' in his honour too whilst I'm at it.

We Mosses were there that day, the BBG was at it's best and so was the football.

BTW, Dave was usually described as "barrel chested!"

Yes, it was a memorable day for a number of  reasons.

United were going through a difficult spell, and at 4 all, the BBC coverage declared that they had "recovered" .  Cloughie was incensed, and characteristically retorted "Recovery, what recovery? - I didn't see one. But just watch my goalkeeper....".

Being Boxing Day, Les Green had had a few too many the day before, and was considered by BC to be seriously at fault with three of the United goals, and without checking the records I am sure that he was dropped, and didn't play for Derby again.

Unprofessional behaviour on the pitch BC would not tolerate, and particularly as points were at stake. 

Yes, it was a memorable day for a number of  reasons.

United were going through a difficult spell, and at 4 all, the BBC coverage declared that they had "recovered" .  Cloughie was incensed, and characteristically retorted "Recovery, what recovery? - I didn't see one. But just watch my goalkeeper....".

Being Boxing Day, Les Green had had a few too many the day before, and was considered by BC to be seriously at fault with three of the United goals, and without checking the records I am sure that he was dropped, and didn't play for Derby again.

Unprofessional behaviour on the pitch BC would not tolerate, and particularly as points were at stake. 

good job we had Colin Boulton waiting off stage left!:cool:

I'd be looking at the defence in general. If we conceded three headers and one rebound from a header nowadays people would want Keogh's head on a spike. 2nd and 4th is crap 'keeping from Green, but I'm not sure what he's meant to do about the other two when his defence allows Man U players uncontested headers from close range.

We should've sacked the lot of 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First time i've seen the statue today and i was a bit disappointed tbf

the hands are bloody huge. 

Dave was better looking.

its a bit freakie.

Archived