Dave mackay statue

Belper Ram 1988

Great news, another hero honoured.

Clough & Taylor; Steve Bloomer; Dave Mackay - we do have some truly iconic figures in the history of our club.

Clough & Taylor oversee the stadium; Steve Bloomer watches the boys on the iPro pitch - and Mackay looks on the players as they come into the Player's Entrance.

They should all be a source of pride and inspiration for every fan, and for every player that pulls on the shirt.

I'm lucky enough to remember experiencing Mackay's arrival and the impact & charisma he brought to Clough's team. Perhaps it is appreciated even more with the distance of time what a player he was, what a team that was - and also, what a great team Dave built when he took over the hot seat amid the turmoil of Clough & Taylor's departure.

Here's to hoping that the exciting new crop of Rams' players can emulate the quality and achievements of the past.

Nice tribute unfolding now on Radio Derby - no doubt available on the BBC iPlayer later.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously well done Derby County FC. The last few years have seen what they do off the field to remember heroes. And by Christ both the 1971-1972 and 1974-1975 Champions were!! We salute you all!!

Very emotional now , sorry , but i am ..

So proud to have lived through the Great times ..

Thank you , Derby County ..

Me too. 

Just seems like yesterday.  

Charlie George and Roy interviewed by Natalie. 

Charlie said Dave tackled him so hard  all his bones shook and he was glad he signed him. 

Hope they all have a great night. 

They made it out of the right material, will be standing forever.

The word Legend only breaths on the surface of this great man.

Spot on - it looks a bit like he's burst out of the stone.

'Legend' is way overused in our modern times but this was the sort of man it was invented for.

Archived