Chris Evans

blackNwhites

you got anything to back you assertions? They are just your view on what may have happened. PC hasn't had time to assess his squad but had time to list 10 players for the positions he want players in - a bit contradictory. Even if it were true if they are on his list he has said he'd want them in the squad.

Davenport, these are not assertions, these are sound bites from interviews. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what interview has it been said 10 players for each position? What interview has it been said PC got a lust of players we are getting in? I'm sure if that had been said it would have been all over this forum and I cant remember it happening. Links please.

Evans produces a list for each position. After he got here Clement started picking the ones from the list he wanted. Evans and Rush try to get them. That's exactly what happens. This has been confirmed by the club as the process.

However...several transfers were completed or underway already. Carson, Bent. Weimann, Baird etc

Evans produces a list for each position. After he got here Clement started picking the ones from the list he wanted. Evans and Rush try to get them. That's exactly what happens. This has been confirmed by the club as the process.

However...several transfers were completed or underway already. Carson, Bent. Weimann, Baird etc

I still think Clement would have input on the completion of those that were underway. Even if Evans produces the list Clement still has to say yes or no or find a new list. To say the blame for poor signings is purely on Evans and PC has no responsibility is poor.

what interview has it been said 10 players for each position? What interview has it been said PC got a lust of players we are getting in? I'm sure if that had been said it would have been all over this forum and I cant remember it happening. Links please.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. The list and the pragmatism are the sounds bits. But I am pretty sure based on clues here and there that PC didn't really have much say on the targets. 

I still think Clement would have input on the completion of those that were underway. Even if Evans produces the list Clement still has to say yes or no or find a new list. To say the blame for poor signings is purely on Evans and PC has no responsibility is poor.

and it's b0110cks!

Some of the transfers were so far underway or even completed that they were a fait accompli.

If we were going to change manager it should have been done 2 weeks earlier at least.

I'm glad that posters are now starting to realise that Bent and Weimann were signings that didn't fit in with our system.  

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. The list and the pragmatism are the sounds bits. But I am pretty sure based on clues here and there that PC didn't really have much say on the targets. 

okay, ill take that. But id still say PC will say to Evans yes or no, and with it being a week (considerable time in transfers) beyween PC joining and the first signing he would have had a say on them

Some of the transfers were so far underway or even completed that they were a fait accompli.

If we were going to change manager it should have been done 2 weeks earlier at least.

I'm glad that posters are now starting to realise that Bent and Weimann were signings that didn't fit in with our system.  

it was a week between PC joining and the first announcements. Plenty of time to pull out of a deal, or find a way of not completing.

The free transfers would have been sorted. Just not announced. it is difficult to come in and in your first week put a stop to transfers that are 80% complete.

BTW This is not a criticism of Evans, just an untidy summer. 

The free transfers would have been sorted. Just not announced. it is difficult to come in and in your first week put a stop to transfers that are 80% complete.

what about Weimann then?

Again as I said in another thread I rate him.

But. Why spend that kind of money on him if he's no intention of playing him and in the little time he has given him it's been left wing.

At Villa he played central or right, never left.

If he wanted a left winger he shouldn't have signed Weimann for that specific role.

Threads like this are hilarious and a good reason to stay off the board for the international break. We're five games into a new season where we've brought in a brand new coach who needs time tofind his feet.

Last year we'd have got promotion had Thorne not been injured in pre-season. This season we have the catastrophic loss of Hughes in the first halfof the first match. When we put varying valuations on him of between £15-25m, it's no surprise we're struggling without him, and to find a replacement.

The signings we've made are all good. I am in awe of Ince's skill and application, picked up for around half the Andre Grey fee. Astonishing. By the end of the season he will be widely acknowledged as the best player in the league. Bent should be the most feared striker in the league, but he needs more time on the pitch. Weimann has shown his quality when he burst on the scene in the Premier League. Carson, the former England keeper with years on his side has been excellent. Shackell appears steady to me and Keogh is better for playing alongside him. Baird is a steady older head. Pearce will get his chance.

I haven't always liked the look of the players we've been linked with in the media (but that's out of our hands), but the players we've actually brought to the club are all excellent singings. Chris Evans appears to be doing a good job.

As @Ambitious says, there's a problem with the offensive side of the team but I think a lot of it has to do with having the heart ripped out of our midfield. A few months ago I couldn't have imagined everyone being thrilled that Hanson might be back from injury! We will be much better once the Thorne-Bryson-Martin axis is restored. We currently have no loan players which is a big difference from recent seasons and is acknowledged as the way to acquire quality at our level. A couple will come soon.

And I think we just need a little luck in a game and the confidence will start flowing through the players. We looked unplayable for 25 minutes against Brum and even for 25 minutes against Leeds. Remember it's early days and once we have a couple of wins under our belt we will start to look unplayable for 50 minutes in games, and then a lot more wins will quickly follow.

Keep the faith.

what about Weimann then?

Again as I said in another thread I rate him.

But. Why spend that kind of money on him if he's no intention of playing him and in the little time he has given him it's been left wing.

At Villa he played central or right, never left.

If he wanted a left winger he shouldn't have signed Weimann for that specific role.

I refer you to my post. It says...'it is difficult to stop transfers that are 80% complete'

I wouldn't have signed him as he doesn't fit in with our system.

I started a thread to this effect which was unpopular with 90% of posters. I would suggest that figure is somewhat lower than that now.

I nearly got caught up with the negativity on here but Davenport querying ten players per position made me re-read the article from the DET given here

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Chris-Evans-earn-stripes-Rams-role/story-25950567-detail/story.html

There's more than a whiff of propaganda about it but...

For those claiming our best players are Clough signings, you might want to remember that without Sam Rush, Chris Evans and the owners vision and commitment several of those players might already have been playing elsewhere.

They also delivered on George Thorne.

And anyway, when was the last time we (or anyone) had a 100% hit rate on signings?

I think over time the seven summer signings will prove their worth, and are a step up on last year.  Leon Best or Kieran Freeman anyone?  At the very least after five league games they deserve our support, particularly with limited playing time for Pearce, Weimann and Bent.

And slighly off-topic, twenty years ago I publicly avowed that I was so underwhelmed with our managerial appointment and a 5-1 loss to Tranmere (?) that I would take no interest until in the team until he was replaced.  Of course despite my best intentions (and having the advantage of being exiled in London) it didn't last.  My best mate still reminds me of this on a regular basis, as proof positive of my lack of football knowledge.

So those slating a new manager (experienced or not), and the team after six (SIX!!!) games may be right, but expect to be called an idiot for the next twenty years if you're wrong.  Thank you.

Ps Back in the 1990's, even when extremely hacked off, to my memory it was never acceptable to personally abuse your own team.  That's what the opposition were for.  Whatever happened to that idea?

As head of football operations, I work very closely with Sam Rush and Steve McClaren, providing

up to 10

player options for permanent transfer – and the same for loan – in every position.

Read more:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Chris-Evans-earn-stripes-Rams-role/story-25950567-detail/story.html#ixzz3kJ1ro6oO

Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

up to 10 players - that could mean anything from 1 to 10.

Work closely with Sam and Steve - so the maanger has input - whod have thought

You would have preferred Jamie crock one trick pony Ward to Ince jeez can see if Robbie Savage is still available maybe you'd prefer him to George Thorne too

What has Ince done this season?

He was also in the team for the whole downslide to the end of season 2014/15

For 4.75m don't you think he should be able to beat a Championship fullback in 5 games, I do. I think he should also be able to beat his near post defender at a corner 9 times out of 10.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Have the board lost trust in Clement already to give him more money to waste hence the change in stance and back tracking.

If you have read Steven Gerrards Autobiography, he states in there that the owners of each club will ask certain players what their thoughts are of the current set up, training, feel of togetherness in the dressing room etc. I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes at the minute because something isn't right.

We don't play for just 25 minutes of a game against Leeds at home and look like a shower of shi te for the other 65 minutes. That first half was very bad and probably as bad as I've seen since Sam Rush etc came in.

The biggest single error in recruitment is buying players who don't fir your system, regardless of how good they are.

You should never ever change your style of play, risk only getting about 60% out of half or your team (or more) just to be able to get 90% out of one specific player.

Buying Bent and Weimann was a joke, I've said it plenty of times. They are good players, well I'm not entirely sure about that, but I can see they have certain qualities. However, they're not worth accomodating.

Heading into the summer it was so obvious what we needed. The key areas were GK, CB, RB, DM, CM, RW/LW, CF. Now we had players in those positions, but they were areas for improvement.

We improved the GK, CB, RB and RW so kudos to that. But we don't have a natural LW, we don't have a Martin like-for-like alternative, we don't have a particularly good back-up to Thorne and we didn't bring in another CM.

So after spending god knows how much on fees and wages this summer, we're still depleted and lacking in key areas and lumped with at least three high-earners that we don't need. (I say high earners in comparison to our previously good wage restructure from two years ago).

Don't underestimate our position. It's potentially a big mess.

The biggest single error in recruitment is buying players who don't fir your system, regardless of how good they are.

You should never ever change your style of play, risk only getting about 60% out of half or your team (or more) just to be able to get 90% out of one specific player.

Buying Bent and Weimann was a joke, I've said it plenty of times. They are good players, well I'm not entirely sure about that, but I can see they have certain qualities. However, they're not worth accomodating.

Heading into the summer it was so obvious what we needed. The key areas were GK, CB, RB, DM, CM, RW/LW, CF. Now we had players in those positions, but they were areas for improvement.

We improved the GK, CB, RB and RW so kudos to that. But we don't have a natural LW, we don't have a Martin like-for-like alternative, we don't have a particularly good back-up to Thorne and we didn't bring in another CM.

So after spending god knows how much on fees and wages this summer, we're still depleted and lacking in key areas and lumped with at least three high-earners that we don't need. (I say high earners in comparison to our previously good wage restructure from two years ago).

Don't underestimate our position. It's potentially a big mess.

Agreed with the majority of that especially the last bit.

For what we spent on Wiemann, he should have buried his chance to make it 2-1 and stake a claim for a starting place. 

Bent just looks like he should be taking a different approach to life outside of football and saying enough is enough, I've had my day and thank you very much. 

Archived