Why Why Why Weimann

sage

Poor pre season? 2 goals and 2 assists wasn't it?

His general play was poor. Didn't get involved in the game. He got lucky against Villareal after a poor initial finish. The only good bits of play has been his turn and pass against Northampton and his finish against Burton. 

The rest of the time we carry him. You can't do that against good teams. 

If we switch to the diamond with split strikers he could do well.  I think he has been bought with this intention but we look better with 4-3-3 and £2m is a lot for a squad player.  

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is an early call and an unpopular one, but no-one has answered my question in any technical or tactical depth. Just ugh ...silly...half empty...ridiculous.. 

I've told you that they've identified that our 4-3-3 differs from the wide roles he's played in previously. What question are you asking? "Why have we signed him?" Because he's quick, a good finisher, and a hard worker as well as being intelligent on the ball and isn't afraid to use the central midfielders unlike say Ince who prefers to go alone. He's a different option.

Now what do you see in him that suggests you'd take £2m for him now?

I know this is an early call and an unpopular one, but no-one has answered my question in any technical or tactical depth. Just ugh ...silly...half empty...ridiculous.. 

He's better than Russell, does that help?

To summarise the season so far that I have read on DCFC Fans, 3 games in. 

Bent and Weimann written off as bad signings.

Grant's mistake at Portsmouth means he should never play for Derby again.

What has happened to Martin and Bent being asked and a striker that scored 18 goals in 50 games is now worth £9m and the difference between promotion or not.

If Warnock starts....well, let's just say that doesn't go down well at all.

A poll suggests the majority of fans want us to sign a convicted criminal in Joey Barton 

Boro will walk the league, the difference between us and them despite us having 4 players out injured was there to be seen.

Clement's tactics are all wrong, he hasn't a clue what he's doing despite losing 4 midfielders already to injury.

Clement is also out of his depth due to an error on the team sheet which saw Chris Baird written down twice, although after official confirmation from a professional referee it may not have been Clement after all.

Antonio is now the player we need, yet a few months ago he was all pace and no end product.

On a positive note tho, Sammon is looking good for Sheffield United

His general play was poor. Didn't get involved in the game. He got lucky against Villareal after a poor initial finish. The only good bits of play has been his turn and pass against Northampton and his finish against Burton. 

The rest of the time we carry him. You can't do that against good teams. 

If we switch to the diamond with split strikers he could do well.  I think he has been bought with this intention but we look better with 4-3-3 and £2m is a lot for a squad player.  

In what way was his general play poor? His passing? Because it wasn't. Was it his work rate? Because it wasn't. You're using generic terms here, explain what exactly you don't like about him or admit that you're just on his back because you don't quite fancy him. If it's that, and your gut feeling is that he's not going to be any good, then fine. But don't pass it off as a conclusion you've come to after analysing him in "tactical and technical depth" because you obviously haven't judging by your terminology.

"Doesn't look like a footballer". Well he is one, so don't talk rubbish.

"General play". The clue is right there, "generalised" terminology.

"didn't get involved". Again with the hyperbole...

I've told you that they've identified that our 4-3-3 differs from the wide roles he's played in previously. What question are you asking? "Why have we signed him?" Because he's quick, a good finisher, and a hard worker as well as being intelligent on the ball and isn't afraid to use the central midfielders unlike say Ince who prefers to go alone. He's a different option.

Now what do you see in him that suggests you'd take £2m for him now?

He's quite quick but not exceptionally so. His finishing isn't good. He scores some good goals but misses chances too. 

My biggest problem on what I have seen is his positional sense and runs. He almost marks the full back, looking for balls over the top. He doesn't give us width and doesn't make runs inside the full back. I would like to see his amount of touches in a game, I would imagine only Bent has less.

In what way was his general play poor? His passing? Because it wasn't. Was it his work rate? Because it wasn't. You're using generic terms here, explain what exactly you don't like about him or admit that you're just on his back because you don't quite fancy him. If it's that, and your gut feeling is that he's not going to be any good, then fine. But don't pass it off as a conclusion you've come to after analysing him in "tactical and technical depth" because you obviously haven't judging by your terminology.

see above

I quite fancy him if that helps

He's quite quick but not exceptionally so. His finishing isn't good. He scores some good goals but misses chances too. 

My biggest problem on what I have seen is his positional sense and runs. He almost marks the full back, looking for balls over the top. He doesn't give us width and doesn't make runs inside the full back. I would like to see his amount of touches in a game, I would imagine only Bent has less.

Against Middlesbrough he was finding it hard to escape the marker, this is true. In preseason though he seemed to have the quick turn of pace and speed of thought to get away at a milliseconds notice. Wait until he's played a few full 90s (not had even one full 90 yet) and I'm sure you'll see that he will quickly learn the passing tendencies of his teammates. It's always tough for any player that relies on supply to make an instant impact because you've got to learn each other first. He strikes me as more of a runner than a dribbler, and right now he's been given the ball and asked to feed Martin or whoever is in the middle (Bent when it was Pompey). If any player needs time to gel it's Weimann, because he's being asked to do a whole heap of new things. But the recruitment team are under the belief that he has the tools to do it.

Some people are no longer sold on the idea of the recruitment team, but I'll leave that bit up to you. That has been here long enough for you to fairly judge now.

Dear Paul Clement, staff & players of Derby County Football Club.

Please, please, please can we win 8-0 tonight, with Ince, Weimann & Martin each bagging a brace with Bent & Russell coming on to notch a goal apiece all from assists by Shotton & Warnock, Shackell winning everyone of his tackles/headers/interceptions, Baird back-heeling a pass 40 yards, Thorne completing another full 90 despite thundering into 27 50-50 balls and Keogh calmly and concisely issuing instructions to his team mates???

I ask this because if you do, most fans will calm the f**k down and realize you actually know what you're doing.

Signed

Ramsbottom x

Against Middlesbrough he was finding it hard to escape the marker, this is true. In preseason though he seemed to have the quick turn of pace and speed of thought to get away at a milliseconds notice. Wait until he's played a few full 90s (not had even one full 90 yet) and I'm sure you'll see that he will quickly learn the passing tendencies of his teammates. It's always tough for any player that relies on supply to make an instant impact because you've got to learn each other first. He strikes me as more of a runner than a dribbler, and right now he's been given the ball and asked to feed Martin or whoever is in the middle (Bent when it was Pompey). If any player needs time to gel it's Weimann, because he's being asked to do a whole heap of new things. But the recruitment team are under the belief that he has the tools to do it.

Some people are no longer sold on the idea of the recruitment team, but I'll leave that bit up to you. That has been here long enough for you to fairly judge now.

If you watch Boro, particularly first half, Weimann must have darted in behind his full back for a ball in behind or to drag away the defender a good 5 times alone. It was ironic that the time we eventually scored, it wasn't him that profited from doing it all game.

Dear Paul Clement, staff & players of Derby County Football Club.

Please, please, please can we win 8-0 tonight, with Ince, Weimann & Martin each bagging a brace with Bent & Russell coming on to notch a goal apiece all from assists by Shotton & Warnock, Shackell winning everyone of his tackles/headers/interceptions, Baird back-heeling a pass 40 yards, Thorne completing another full 90 despite thundering into 27 50-50 balls and Keogh calmly and concisely issuing instructions to his team mates???

I ask this because if you do, most fans will calm the f**k down and realize you actually know what you're doing.

Signed

Ramsbottom x

So what has Forsyth done that makes you that critical of him that you haven't got a wish for him also? Shocking? :)

I'm so excited we got Weimann, and at such an incredible bargain price. Expect he'll end up being a massive player for us this season. Sage is on a wind up.

I thought I was reading a Curtains thread at first.

I have decided that much like the league table, this forum isn't worth taking seriously until about 15 games in.

Sage is on a wind up.

I think this is his application to be the new Mostyn for a season, to be honest I welcome a change of Mr Controversial, we've had Mostyn for a while now and it's time for this forum to move on. I feel with this and the Bent thread Sage is perfect for the position. 

I'm going to give him 3 games, if he doesn't perform I'll be starting a thread questioning his ability to fit in with this forum.

As has been said, we need a win. Quicker the better. The attacking play we've grown used to has not been happening, doesn't mean it won't click but there are grounds for concern, mitigated by the shocking luck with midfield injuries. 

You could make a case that none of the forwards have got going yet.

My old man was saying back in July that he was concerned that we've signed a couple of reserve strikers from a Prem team that couldn't score...just saying.

So what has Forsyth done that makes you that critical of him that you haven't got a wish for him also? Shocking? :)

I like Forsyth, his passing can be a bit skew-wiff but he's the best we've got in that position.  I just think Warnock will start tonight as PC believes he's a steadier option in away games...

Archived