The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime we build something new it's hideous though. 

Renovations etc are sound. Just the news stuff like the quad, the scrap metal velodrome and the spaceport bus station. 

If you take the people out then Nottingham is a much nicer looking city. 

Less is more. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Agree with both points - planners and architects are progressively degrading our towns and citys.

"Nottingham - a place ruined by it's people" I can see the usurping "Robin Hood, the bad guy is ours" as their tourist slogan.

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Renovations etc are sound. Just the news stuff like the quad, the scrap metal velodrome and the spaceport bus station. 

Less is more. 

I like the quad and velodrome. I also like friar gate square.

I guess architecture is one of those topics which is incredibly subjective.

Derby looks far better than it did 5 or 10 years ago. If becket well, assembly rooms and a new pool get done I think it will be a cracking small city.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Agree with both points - planners and architects are progressively degrading our towns and citys.

"Nottingham - a place ruined by it's people" I can see the usurping "Robin Hood, the bad guy is ours" as their tourist slogan.

It really infuriates me. 

Just because you can build a 7 sided glass building with a docking station for a hovercraft it doesn't mean you should. Especially next to a grade 4 listed building. 

I mean the Velodrome... very clever. Gold, silver and bronze... great idea

looks ****

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It really infuriates me. 

Just because you can build a 7 sided glass building with a docking station for a hovercraft it doesn't mean you should. Especially next to a grade 4 listed building. 

I mean the Velodrome... very clever. Gold, silver and bronze... great idea

looks ****

Curiously when it's done well the glass and stainless steel looks good against Georgian / Victorian town grandeur.

my irritation is when there is no vision and short term fixes ... The abortion that is the old debenhams building and the dodgy deals that keep it that way are mind numbingly sad. Then we close the toilets and take the clock down ( breaking it in the process )  to ostensibly save money .. Only to spend more money on Tarmac and a sculpture of dubious value. .. Whoops off topic .. Need to go to the pub forum 

1 hour ago, The 1884 Group said:

I like the quad and velodrome. I also like friar gate square.

I guess architecture is one of those topics which is incredibly subjective.

Derby looks far better than it did 5 or 10 years ago. If becket well, assembly rooms and a new pool get done I think it will be a cracking small city.

Maybe it's me. 

Go down to like Exeter and the old and new isn't such a sharp contrast. 

It's like the old is celebrated and the new is just square and simplistic so it falls into the background. But each shop front is just a glass fronted block. Clean and tidy. 

Go to Derby and... Oh look a spaceport, then we drive past the council house which looks smart and then.... Wtf is that? The Quad? It looks like God shat out some building materials. When are the building the rest? 

I like to look at a building and think... wow, look at the detail, the skill. Working with stone!! Lincoln Cathedral you look at and think wow. How? On what? There's no stone that wasn't skillfully worked. 

Then I look at the painted MDF that they chuck up now. 

I'm only 30 btw. And I'm not a proper boring cnut really. I don't think. Actually I might be. 

Anyway, who derailed the topic? I've not done anything moddy for ages and Davideo has given us a ban quota to full.  

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Maybe it's me. 

Go down to like Exeter and the old and new isn't such a sharp contrast. 

It's like the old is celebrated and the new is just square and simplistic so it falls into the background. But each shop front is just a glass fronted block. Clean and tidy. 

Go to Derby and... Oh look a spaceport, then we drive past the council house which looks smart and then.... Wtf is that? The Quad? It looks like God shat out some building materials. When are the building the rest? 

I like to look at a building and think... wow, look at the detail, the skill. Working with stone!! Lincoln Cathedral you look at and think wow. How? On what? There's no stone that wasn't skillfully worked. 

Then I look at the painted MDF that they chuck up now. 

I'm only 30 btw. And I'm not a proper boring cnut really. I don't think. Actually I might be. 

Anyway, who derailed the topic? I've not done anything moddy for ages and Davideo has given us a ban quota to full.  

Boring old git.

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Finally!! We found the bloke who uses the velodrome. 

#wasteofmoney 

#Iknowthisain'ttwitterandwhat?

Can barely ride a bike so what use is a veldodrome to me? Just too ashamed to admit I agree with your geriatric viewpoints!

On 5/9/2016 at 18:24, eddie said:

It's more to do with those posters with more than 15000 likes.

That's not many though - even Forest get more fans.

News Flash - eddie to be docked 15,000 likes as the likes of us have no chance of catching the dude up, man.

News Flash - Rampage and all other posters to be awarded 15,000 likes so we can have more than that dude, eddie.

Intergalactic Forum Edict - Likes to be counted on a season to season basis in addition to overall total being displayed. Make it so, David, but do not ask that dude eddie's opinion. 

News Flash Update - Eddie is already bookies' favourite at 1/15,000 to get the most likes next season. eddie..What a dude!

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

when would the crossover be for off season posting?

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Intergalactic Forum Edict

Intergalactic Forum Edict Update - crossover will begin when David the dcfcfans Overlord decrees it to be so..

From Owlstalk

Then we play Derby or Hull who between them in 4 games, also haven't managed to beat us this season.

Just saying. 

===

Would that be the same Wendies that haven't beaten us in the last 16 ...Just asking.

36 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

From Owlstalk

Then we play Derby or Hull who between them in 4 games, also haven't managed to beat us this season.

Just saying. 

===

Would that be the same Wendies that haven't beaten us in the last 16 ...Just asking.

<Bris Mode>

Got 7-6 written all over it

</Bris Mode>

Archived