The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

Of our five 'ins' this summer, we've only paid a fee for Weimann. All others I believe were at the end of the current contracts or released by their clubs?

Very small fee for Carson.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope we don't get a reputation of trying to buy the league. 

I couldn't give a stuff to be honest. Clubs who spend the most tend to succeed in whatever league (or sport) you'd care to choose. It's not rocket surgery.

I couldn't give a stuff to be honest. Clubs who spend the most tend to succeed in whatever league (or sport) you'd care to choose. It's not rocket surgery.

ah, but how times have changed. If you look back to the start of this thread it's about how proud we were to have others talking about how we were doing it the right way, and being jealous of our ethos as well as our success. 

Now were in danger of becoming the villain of the piece.

2 years of nearly has probably created the attitude of 'I don't give a **** any more, just get us out of this bloody league. I can't take any more of these nearlys'. I have that attitude myself. Come on Mel, get your wallet out, get Messi in, and let's **** all over this league and get back to where we want to be. 

But it is a real shame we couldn't have gone up in the first year, when everyone would have praised it as a cracking achievement. ******* Zamora!

ah, but how times have changed. If you look back to the start of this thread it's about how proud we were to have others talking about how we were doing it the right way, and being jealous of our ethos as well as our success. 

2 years of nearly has probably created the attitude of 'I don't give a **** any more, just get us out of this bloody league. I can't take any more of these nearlys'. I have that attitude myself.

I agree but I would also argue that we're still doing it the right way - with all the investment around the club & academy etc.

We're spending it on the right things, not just doing a QPR and throwing stupid wages at has-been mercenaries.

2 years of nearly has probably created the attitude of 'I don't give a **** any more, just get us out of this bloody league. I can't take any more of these nearlys'. I have that attitude myself. Come on Mel, get your wallet out, get Messi in, and let's **** all over this league and get back to where we want to be. 

But it is a real shame we couldn't have gone up in the first year, when everyone would have praised it as a cracking achievement. ******* Zamora!

I think it's just that we've managed FFP extremely well. Staying well within the guidelines (when others were splashing the cash) in earlier years probably meant that we were able to invest so much in 14/15,using the leeway given by relatively modest spending earlier.Now we're just smoothly able to take advantage of the large extra allowance,and I think when the dust finally settles,we will again have left some leeway for following years.

If others want to have a dig at us,they should examine spending over a period of time. Even if we spend heavily this year,it'd be very interesting to see a table of overall spending over the last 3/4 years. 

I think it's just that we've managed FFP extremely well. Staying well within the guidelines (when others were splashing the cash) in earlier years probably meant that we were able to invest so much in 14/15,using the leeway given by relatively modest spending earlier.Now we're just smoothly able to take advantage of the large extra allowance,and I think when the dust finally settles,we will again have left some leeway for following years.

If others want to have a dig at us,they should examine spending over a period of time. Even if we spend heavily this year,it'd be very interesting to see a table of overall spending over the last 3/4 years. 

I get this, and think we are doing things in exactly the right way. But as this is this is the view from the outside thread, unfortunately, the view from the outside is not as nice and friendly as it once was. We shouldn't really care, but this thread was set up because we kind of do.

Not that we care enough to curtail our spending and sabotage our own promotion attempt of course. But it's still a bit of a shame. I hope the odd pundit or two is able to read between the ledgers and see what the board have done here. Ours is an achievement to be proud of, and deserving of recognition for the right reasons (but only if we actual ever succeed in getting promoted,of course). 

I'm not worried about the cash being spent, I'm worried about the size of the squad and Clement being able to man manage them all and keep them happy. If you read the posts on that Ipswich forum they're saying the same thing, they get that our bigger crowds mean we can spend more and aren't picking up on that. They're picking up on the fact that our squad is bulging at this stage. Can only imagine there will be outgoings, which for the most part I am against because there's not a whole lot wrong with most of the first teamers we have.

But I guess this isn't the thread for this discussion. Their criticisms should be our valid concerns. What's the point in this thread if we're just going to ignore what they're saying anyway? I thought it was supposed to be an outside perspective to help us gauge where our club is at in the wider game?

I'm not worried about the cash being spent, I'm worried about the size of the squad and Clement being able to man manage them all and keep them happy. If you read the posts on that Ipswich forum they're saying the same thing, they get that our bigger crowds mean we can spend more and aren't picking up on that. They're picking up on the fact that our squad is bulging at this stage. Can only imagine there will be outgoings, which for the most part I am against because there's not a whole lot wrong with most of the first teamers we have.

But I guess this isn't the thread for this discussion. Their criticisms should be our valid concerns. What's the point in this thread if we're just going to ignore what they're saying anyway? I thought it was supposed to be an outside perspective to help us gauge where our club is at in the wider game?

Our squad is 'bulging'?

Carson - Replacement for Roos who will most likely be off on loan

Pearce - Replacement for Whitbread

Baird - Replacement for Eustace

Weimann - Replacement for Ward (?) Not sure what position he's come to fill

Bent - Replacement for Best/Himself

Likely signings

Bridcutt - Replacement for Mascarell

Ince - replacement for Ibe/Himself

Shackell/CB - Likely that one cb will leave (Can't really count him as a replacement for Barker)

Our squad is 'bulging'?

Carson - Replacement for Roos who will most likely be off on loan

Pearce - Replacement for Whitbread

Baird - Replacement for Eustace

Weimann - Replacement for Ward (?) Not sure what position he's come to fill

Bent - Replacement for Best/Himself

Likely signings

Bridcutt - Replacement for Mascarell

Ince - replacement for Ibe/Himself

Shackell/CB - Likely that one cb will leave (Can't really count him as a replacement for Barker)

That still doesn't show that it isn't. I thought the same after January as well, that the squad was too big so my opinion still stands. 

That still doesn't show that it isn't. I thought the same after January as well, that the squad was too big so my opinion still stands. 

Rush keeps talking about how 'streamlined' our squad has been for the last few years... For me a squad should be at least 22 players (two for each position) with some extras of youth/loans...

Current squad seems to be 22 not including youfs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_County_F.C.#First-team_squad

Archived