Gaming

SaintRam

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

FYI if you have a gaming PC and Amazon Prime you can grab 30 games for free today including the following;

Mass Effect Legendary Edition ?

Need for Speed Heat

Grid Legends

Star Wars Republic Commando

Jedi Knight : Jedi Academy

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

I have a Prime freebie for a month, would the games disappear if I choose not to subscribe and the end of it?

16 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I have a Prime freebie for a month, would the games disappear if I choose not to subscribe and the end of it?

I would say almost certainly not.

Some of the games you download via the new Amazon Gaming App - as I need Prime for our business I've never cancelled it so can't be sure what happens to the games, but generally you get the keep the games you've bought (or in this case claimed when they were given away free)

The big hitters on that list though are Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Grid Legends and Need for Speed Heat - you will need an EA account for those and once you've unlocked them they will be free forever.  

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Thats not a new thing in the gaming world tbh - old games do get shutdown ? 

In this case however, it was single player games that were being shutdown, which was concerning.  Ubisoft however have issued an update stating that if you already own the game it will remain available to redownload and play, its just the online elements that will be removed. 

Unfortunately it does cost money to maintain servers for old games and when next to no one plays them I guess the money men start getting a bit twitchy.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisofts-online-decommissioning-may-render-three-games-unplayable-for-people-who-bought-them/

Sounds like they have backtracked.

Sounded shady when it was reported they were pulling the game completely for those that have purchased as you say a single player game.

I would question what are the server costs for a game that would see very few online playing, do they really need to shut it down. I feel like a law should be in place where online services must run for 10 years past the date where the game is removed from sale. 

I have a strong dislike with how the gaming industry is run, needs to be cleaned up with new digital laws which clamp down on shady practices including loot boxes in kids games.

1 minute ago, David said:

Sounds like they have backtracked.

Sounded shady when it was reported they were pulling the game completely for those that have purchased as you say a single player game.

I would question what are the server costs for a game that would see very few online playing, do they really need to shut it down. I feel like a law should be in place where online services must run for 10 years past the date where the game is removed from sale. 

I have a strong dislike with how the gaming industry is run, needs to be cleaned up with new digital laws which clamp down on shady practices including loot boxes in kids games.

Agree that there should be some sort of digital law to protect gamers.  I'm a big MMO player and a couple of my all time favourite games have shutdown.  I've lost thousands of hours worth of time invested, not to mention a considerable amount of money.

Loot boxes are another issue, so long as they are cosmetic only and not game enhancing I have no problem.  Games companies should absolutely tell you the odds of what you are gambling on however (5% rare, 20% uncommon, 75% common etc) and Epic to their credit actually show you whats in a loot box before you buy them in their Fortnite Save the World game.  The industry is moving towards becoming more transparent (slowly) and tbh it needs to as there are a lot of underage gamers. 

Re. the Ubisoft drama, whether it was miscommunicated or a backtrack a lot of those games were first released around 10 years ago, you would struggle to argue a case for keeping their online services live now tbh.  Going back to my favourite MMOs one of them (Star Wars Galaxies) has been resurrected by fans and the servers are crowd funded by the playerbase each month.  I personally think that when a game is no longer financially viable to a games company they should allow fans to carry on its legacy on a non-profit basis, which is what Lucas Arts and later Disney allowed for SWG. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any Clash of Clans players on here without a clan?

Myself TH12 and the Mrs TH11 have started one and need to recruit players for the occasional war. Rather not have to open up to complete random players that come and go.

If you have a base and not actually actively playing anymore, just joining without actually playing will be helpful to boost the numbers.

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested or can help