Pearce & Shackell CB partnership

Jon_Grooves

Don't give Shackell the armband for god sake. He's only just got here. Would be disastrous for team morale for him to go in straight at the top. Give it Martin. Shackell can still be a leader in his own way, but Martin is the one guy that makes us tick and is vital to our operation. That's my idea of captain. And he earns it through merit and leadership skills.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't give Shackell the armband for god sake. He's only just got here. Would be disastrous for team morale for him to go in straight at the top. Give it Martin. Shackell can still be a leader in his own way, but Martin is the one guy that makes us tick and is vital to our operation. That's my idea of captain. And he earns it through merit and leadership skills.

Keogh was made captain as soon as he arrived, ironically taking if off the departing Shackell

Keogh was made captain as soon as he arrived, ironically taking if off the departing Shackell

I didn't like it then and don't like it now. And besides, at that point Barker was still club captain. And although he was rehabbing his injury, he still commanded a lot of respect from the players that were there at the time, as they were all still players he played with.

Ask yourself this, what has Shackell done to deserve the captaincy?

Ask yourself this, what has Shackell done to deserve the captaincy?

He's been a captain at four different clubs (Norwich, Barnsley, Derby and Burnley), so he clearly has experience of leading a team. Same reason Keogh was given the armband when he joined.

For the record, I don't really care who the official captain is. We should have leaders all over the pitch, something we lacked last year.

He's been a captain at four different clubs (Norwich, Barnsley, Derby and Burnley), so he clearly has experience of leading a team. Same reason Keogh was given the armband when he joined.

For the record, I don't really care who the official captain is. We should have leaders all over the pitch, something we lacked last year.

He's been captain before but what makes him deserve it now? Why should any of the players immediately respect him as their captain? Just doesn't make sense. I'm sure he can lead the side without needing the armband.

I think FIFA should change the rules to make the captain a more significant role like in rugby to make these sorts of debates meaningful.

As it stands we're arguing over which player is going to have his picture taken with a little boy in the centre circle before kick off.

I'm torn on this: my heart says a Keogh/Shackell pairing could be mouthwatering.  Keogh bursting out from the back, Shackell positionally immaculate and able to read where the danger might be.  Pearce could be the solid centre-back that we seemed to be missing at points last season, though so I am not fully sure.  It's a conundrum, but one whereby both should be capable and Clement should be able to make a full decision after a few more competitive games.  With Buxton waiting in the wings when needed, we look strong in that position. 

Unless Keogh's off.. :ph34r:

I'm torn on this: my heart says a Keogh/Shackell pairing could be mouthwatering.  Keogh bursting out from the back, Shackell positionally immaculate and able to read where the danger might be.  Pearce could be the solid centre-back that we seemed to be missing at points last season, though so I am not fully sure.  It's a conundrum, but one whereby both should be capable and Clement should be able to make a full decision after a few more competitive games.  With Buxton waiting in the wings when needed, we look strong in that position. 

Unless Keogh's off.. :ph34r:

hope not. think Shackell as captain could bring out the best in him. played well against Utrecht from watching the playback - i only saw 1 intercepted pass, made under pressure.

I think FIFA should change the rules to make the captain a more significant role like in rugby to make these sorts of debates meaningful.

As it stands we're arguing over which player is going to have his picture taken with a little boy in the centre circle before kick off.

do you think many understand this

Archived