Future Captincey..

SK47

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Ince has a captain ?  unlikely for me

Sorry but very old school (probably my age) but for me all captains should be central defenders or central midfielders.

They need to be able to see the bigger picture of the game.

Some of our most successful times have come when having captains in this area , McFarland , Wright , Gregory , Van der Laan spring to mind.

That's a point, I wonder if we are going to have a "club captain" now Barkers left? Maybe Grant?

Grant would be great shout mate.

Giving the captaincy to a new player would be disrespectful to the players that have been here fighting the cause for a few years now.

I've always thought it a bit odd when that happens. If I recall, Keogh was given the armband as soon as he arrived, taking it from the departing Shackell.

Anyone would think this a thread on a rugby forum. We're arguing about a bit of fabric around a bloke's arm and the right to have a picture taken with the mascots in the centre circles.

Leaders will lead whether they have the armband or not.

It shouldn't be about upsetting players. It should be about who fits the captaincy best. 

And the only way for that is to be with the players on a daily basis in order to see this. Those who have played team sports know that the captain is a natural leader and doesn't need to be enforced or placed on top of players. Players naturally elect who their captain is, through interactions and dynamics. The manager simply sees that.

And yes, sometimes they are not the model professionals in their private lives, but where it matters -- on the pitch --  they are there for all to see.

One thing for sure, on the first day of the season, Keogh arrived in the car of our most important player. That simply should tell you something.

Anyone would think this a thread on a rugby forum. We're arguing about a bit of fabric around a bloke's arm and the right to have a picture taken with the mascots in the centre circles.

Leaders will lead whether they have the armband or not.

We have got captains throughout the squad I think, off the top of my head

Darren Bent

Warnock

Keogh

Alex Pearce

to name a few all have been captains at other clubs

We also have players like Buxton, Thorne and Russell even Martin who are definite voices or examples on the pitch

I've always thought it a bit odd when that happens. If I recall, Keogh was given the armband as soon as he arrived, taking it from the departing Shackell.

if it was someone that was considered well above our usual caliber, that had a reputation and would automatically have the respect of the dressing room then I'd understand (God bless Dave Mackay) but to give it to a new lad in any other way, to me, is  a bit a kick in the teeth to the current players.

i like Keogh as a player and what I've seen of him in interviews but I don't think he's a captain. If Bucko was still a regular I'd probably give it him but as he's not, either Martin or Grant.

interesting point, if Thorne had had a full season last year and produced the same form he did in his loan spell, how many people do you think would be putting his name forward now?

I think people have got my question twisted. What I meant was, As a young player, He's experianced at different levels/scenarios, And was curious that if he carrys on building to mould he already has, Could he be a captain ONE DAY? Because as it stands I dont..obiviously. But I feel with the fight/grit to succeed he has in his game (someone above said he doesnt have that, But we saw last season he does..) he could be a captain in afew years, IF he builds on what he's shown.

I suppose if he becomes a massively influential player now he's here full time, conducts him self in a professional manner on and off the pitch and becomes a player the others look to in a time of crisis, then yes. Will he? Yeah mate I don't see why not ?

Archived