Can Football survive as it is, without a financial implosion?

Rampage

Transfer fees and players' wages are increasing at an seemingly exponential rate. Can football really continue to prosper and increase in popularity without some sort of financial implosion? 

£100 million transfer fees may be relatively commonplace in ten year's time. Footballers' wages in the Premiership may reach £400,000 or even £500,000 a week for the top ten or fifteen players.

Has Derby County discovered the way forward for most teams with their businesslike approach to finances?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely transfer fees and wages will rise & fall in line with the amount of TV money and there's no sign of that tailing off any time soon - especially with BT becoming a real thorn in Sky's side, forcing the price up.

For me, the key is FFP & without it, there would be billionaires queueing up to buy clubs and throw stupid money around.

Derby have done it the right way so far but if we can establish ourselves as a premiership side, then we're going to have to join in the mayhem to stay competitive.

Transfer fees and players' wages are increasing at an seemingly exponential rate. Can football really continue to prosper and increase in popularity without some sort of financial implosion? 

£100 million transfer fees may be relatively commonplace in ten year's time. Footballers' wages in the Premiership may reach £400,000 or even £500,000 a week for the top ten or fifteen players.

Has Derby County discovered the way forward for most teams with their businesslike approach to finances?

I don't understand why we're all high and mighty about the 'derby way'. We still lost £7million last season, it's hardly a businesslike approach to finances.

There was an article in the Economist last week about the huge distortions to world economies caused by allowing tax-relief on debt.

If anyone could seriously grasp this issue then that would be a complete game-changer as it would make businesses focus their models in an entirely different way. In fact, Derby are a bit whiter in this regard as their owners have just converted debt to proper risk bearing equity, but nonetheless the world economy still biases behaviour towards irresponsible spending an then "walking away" through the mechanism of limited liability.

All of that results in "trickle-up" economics where the small contributions of the many (either by providing the subs to encourage the TV offers or by propping up lending institution failures) end up concentrating massive wealth in the hands of the few.

I think the Government cutting back on tax credits/housing benefit will effect the amount of money coming into Football, Sky will need to do something about ther price structure very soon. remember the cable companies that entered this market and failed then left football clubs without revenue.

I wish that Sky would do a pay-as-you-go deal (box office) for football matches. I won't get Sky Sports at £30 odd quid a month but would happily pay a fiver or so watch an individual match.

I got a deal from Virgin and it equates to an extra tenner per month for the Full Sports Package !!

are you in a cable area ?

Wow, how did you get that?. Yes, we've got Virgin Cable.

I have Sky without the sports - I got the kids package. Signed up in 2009 at £25 per month. Just noticed on bank statement its now £37.50 per month. The upgrade flyers I get bombarded with all seem to suggest adding Sports would take it beyond £50.

50% inflation in 6 years with Sky..........where's Gorgeous George Osborne and his low inflation claptrap????

I wish that Sky would do a pay-as-you-go deal (box office) for football matches. I won't get Sky Sports at £30 odd quid a month but would happily pay a fiver or so watch an individual match.

Now TV (owned by Sky, if I'm not mistaken) do Sky Sports Day Passes, think its £10 for a day's worth of all the Sky Sports Channels.

Wow, how did you get that?. Yes, we've got Virgin Cable.

I received a loyalty discount for the previous 18 months and a promotional offer on top, if you don't get any joy from customer service then the disconnect team will try very hard to keep you, mention SKY a few times also...:ph34r:

Short answer, no, it can't. If nothing else, sooner or later advertisers will realise they are overpaying for what they get with football and spend their money elsewhere. It'll survive, but ggo through a painful realignment at some point. People will still want to play and others will watch them but I'm sure the show will crash at some point. Economics would have no more than say ten top teams and every one else is a feeder orrun out of business because all these leagues just dissipate the talent and wealth ggenerating potential. It'll be like ASDA v Tesco with all theother  shops closed....them we started shopping on amazon or eBay.

Thanks for that. Can't do it through my Virgin Tivo but can buy a NowTV box for £9.99 and then the passes as as & when.

Good stuff!

I have a NowTV box, great piece of kit, especially if you sideload Plex onto it so you can stream video files from a computer. As I mentioned in the True Detective thread in the Pointy Room, its how I watch all my TV shows.

they do its called NowTv. Its a streaming service. You can either buy a box or use PC or PS3. Sky sports day pass is 6.99 and I think a week pass is £10.

I think it will get to a stage where player inflation will be greater than some personal wealth. Billionaires aren't having that big of an impact like the used too and if we are heading to £150-£200 mill valuations...It's going to be even more difficult for the super wealthy. I think it will get to a stage where the market will become numb at the top end and there will be greater emphasis on player development and market trade to fund these super transfers.

Archived