The most EXCITING Derby County game that I saw live.

Rampage

no....exciting is when we've got our tails up and tear the big team opponents to shreads.......like this....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g69HXQ5qiRM

One of the games that I clearly remember being at, though I had forgotten the moment when Alan Hinton took the ball off Pat Rice.  For someone who couldn't tackle a rice pudding that was a stand out moment.

Watching that footage back 43 years later you can't half see how football has changed, both for the better and worse.  Better pitches and stadia sure, but no rolling around after being breathed on, no constant moaning after every decision

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Friday... Premier League 1999/00 season... Bradford City away... packed Valley Parade and a great vocal following from Derby.

Huge relegation battle which goes down for me as one of the most phenomenal games I have ever attended. Derby hadn't had a penalty all season and ended up with 3 in one game.

Delap scores inside 25 seconds. Branko Strupar (who I still feel such sympathy for with his injuries as for me he was truly a a gifted footballer) slips a nice free-kick in within 6 minutes... but before we know we are down to 10 men as Delap gets sent off and on the receiving end of a Dean Windass hat-trick and 3-4 down at half-time courtesy of a Craig Burley penalty for us.

Second-half from what I recall was really end-to-end. Burley slotted home another penalty (the third of the afternoon as Peter Beagrie had popped one in for them too) to make it 4-4, Christie and/or Seth Johnson both came close to nicking it for us, only for Derby to get a third, and the game's fourth penalty with about 10 to play I think. Matt Clarke saves it and there's enough time for Dean Saunders I think, on as a late sub for Bradford, to miss a chance towards the end.

Came away confused. Should we be happy we've played the best part of an entire game with ten men, coming from behind twice to draw 4-4 with a relegation rival... or frustrated that we lost a 2-goal lead and had the opportunity to nick all three points.

What a game!

Bragstad scored 2, riggot and burley the other scorers. So it does have to be one of them.

Well if it's that match, Saint, he must be Bragstad's bro - Bjorn Otto scored after 3 minutes to put us 1-0 up.  Chris Riggott's goal put us 2-1 ahead in the match (and level on aggregate) after they equalised in 9 minutes

Incidentally Neil Clement scored for the Baggies after 40 minutes and had also scored at Derby in the 1st leg.  BCO.

I remember sitting in the stands for that one. I'm certain it was in Sheffield though. Seth Johnson had a daisy cutter from twenty-five yards out in the last seconds that was tipped around the post which would have meant an even more amazing comeback.

Was at home, I was in the corner of the south stand and everyone was stood queuing to get out after they scored their third - (I wasn't - ever the optimist!!) - we were dancing in the aisles!! 

I went on my own to most matches then (was at uni in Derby but none of my mates were Derby fans) but I remember jumping on the guy next to me when we scored the equalizer I was that excited! 

Southampton Play off, but Ipswich 4-4 was pretty dramatic given the circumstances too

I'll always remember that cos I was in a bar in Ibiza, which was wall to wall with fans of either Arsenal and Celtic, who were both playing champs league that night. I was "watching" the Derby scores on my iphone videprinter!

Everytime we scored we did a little "yes! Get in!", but on 4-4, we went mental. All the Arsenals fans came running to look in the Celtic room, and all the Celtic fans came running towards the Arsenal room, ended up with about 30 blokes standing in this middle room all looking at us to see what was going on!

sat 9th April 2016 at the ipro when Derby annihilated Bolton Wanderers 6-0 with Ince, Bent and Martin each scoring a brace which put us 16 points clear ahead of second place and secured our return to the premiership  !! great game !!

the post could've been Chris' younger brother Tim. I used to have a few beers with him and play pool back in the Gisborne Arms about 15 years ago!

He said his brother put us 1-0 up...Bragstad scored the 1st  :mellow:

Southampton 2nd leg play-off. Without doubt. Leaving in the biggest rainstorm I can remember and straight down the pub for a lock in. Magic night.

I was 15 at the time ,the noise was mind blowing just a constant Derby, Derby from around the ground.Sad thing is there is no TV footage or even radio Derby archive .

It was featured in a Radio Derby top 10 goals [Dave McKay's] but Graham Richardson talked it through due to lack of coverage.

My error by the way it was the League Cup not F.A.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2009/04/03/rams_125_goal_vote_feature.shtml

The Chelsea 1968 League Cup replay was, and for many still is, the game of a lifetime for Rams supporters. I do not expect to see it bettered and as I intend to live to be 110 (lol), no need for anyone to get too excited before the 2053 / 2054 season !

The1973 FA Cup replay at White Hart Lane was pretty special too : going 3 v 1 down with 9 minutes to play, I said to my mate that we were still going to win the game, which we did 5 v 3 after extra time.

The first half hour against Benfica in the 1972  European Cup at the BBG saw us 3 v 0 up after 29 minutes, an unbelievable purple patch by any standards.

But a more mundane fixture was also the source of much pride in the Rams performance for me. 1/9/63, Fratton Park, saw centre forward Bill Curry sustain a nasty eye injury, so being before the days of substitutes, we were down to 10 men for the best part of the last hour. Half of those who remained were Derby / Derbyshire lads -  that would have been six had Ronnie Webster not been out with an injury - and how valiantly they performed against the odds. One goal down, they really went for it with flair and total commitment, but a romantic ending there was not to be.

It may have been a 1 v 0 defeat, but apart from that legendary Chelsea replay, I have never since experienced the overwhelming feeling of pride in OUR team's performance that afternoon.  One of the longer trips back home, and the only one I recall where the journey home after a defeat was not an eternity - and there have been quite a few of those!

Derby 2 Arsenal 1 - Phil Gee screamer to win it after going 0-1 down against the eventual champions

Derby 3 Everton 2 - Goddard with the deftest chip over Southall and into the top corner for the winner - magic!

Derby 4 Southampton 0 - just for the football that we played as Eranio, Wanchope, Baiano and Carsley scored 4 goals in about 5 minutes towards the end of the game to blow Southampton away

Derby 3 Sheff Wed 3 - Greatest DCFC FA Cup match I've ever seen

Derby 5 WBA 3 - 0-0 at HT, and then a goal bonanza in the second half

Derby 5 Brighton 1 - Again, just for the football we played, especially in the second half as Brighton were annihilated

derby 4 Chelsea 6 at BBG around 1991 ....

we came back from 3-1 down to go 4-3 up in second half thru Dean Saunders.

lost three goals in Last ten mins.

no scoreboard back then.....literally hard to know the score at the end, clearly had lost...but the sxoreline was surreal.

I did attend old Trafford 3-2 win with wanchope and poom debuts.

palace promotion game in 1996 was special, as was Southampton home game in play offs in 2006

Derby at home v Rotherham,to get promotion back to division 2 ,under Arthur Cox,the atmosphere was unreal,Christee scoring that peno,I could not look,and then in the last minute Chandler passing the ball back to Wallington from about 50 yards away,I thought Rob Hindermarch was going to kill him.Also the playoff semi final against Southampton the best atmosphere at pride park,remember walking out of the stadium,getting soaking wet,and chanting at Southampton fans I hope it rains at Wembley rains at Wembley.Hoping more great times are just around the corner.

Archived