Calero, Hanson and Rawson promoted to the first team?

Ambitious

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i truly hope PC gives any youngsters he sees as good enough an opportunity. Investing in youth has served us well in the past few years.

Weimann was played out of position at Villa as a wide man. I'd suggest he came to us with a promise of a more central striking role?

i doubt that very much. If a player only comes to us because they are promised a certain position, then I don't want that player. Hence why Bamford didn't come back.

If a player is needed in any position and their manager has confidence in them, they should be happy and give it their all.

True...and I'm sure he will give his all and be happy to play in goal if asked! But all I'm saying, is that everyone seems to have him down as a wide man and if you asked the player he would say he was more a striker than a wide man. Johnny Russell the same?

True...and I'm sure he will give his all and be happy to play in goal if asked! But all I'm saying, is that everyone seems to have him down as a wide man and if you asked the player he would say he was more a striker than a wide man. Johnny Russell the same?

I think any goal-scoring forward fancies himself upfront rather than out-wide. Closer to goal, more chances to score. Whether their style of play is best suited to fit into a certain system, is another thing entirely.

I think any goal-scoring forward fancies himself upfront rather than out-wide. Closer to goal, more chances to score. Whether their style of play is best suited to fit into a certain system, is another thing entirely.

but at least we have a plan a, b and c by the looks of it. Weman will score for fun at this level. 

I'd like to see all 3 (and Bennett) go outbon loans until January or so, then see how we go from there.

I think Rotherham would jump at the chance to take Rawson back, Calero could go back to Burton and have a pop at League 1, Hanson should look for a promotion chasing League 1 team and I'm not sure with Bennett.

I'd like to see all 3 (and Bennett) go outbon loans until January or so, then see how we go from there.

I think Rotherham would jump at the chance to take Rawson back, Calero could go back to Burton and have a pop at League 1, Hanson should look for a promotion chasing League 1 team and I'm not sure with Bennett.

I reckon Bennet could be a league 1 starter or a regular substitute in lower half of the championship. I'd offer him the latter and see if he can force his way into their starting XI

I reckon Bennet could be a league 1 starter or a regular substitute in lower half of the championship. I'd offer him the latter and see if he can force his way into their starting XI

Disagree. From what i've seen league 2 at the most. And i'm not even sure he would start games in that division. Needs a loan spell desperately. Pretty sure the reason he hasn't been given a chance is simply because he hasn't developed as we would have liked. Hes not exactly scoring bucket loads in the under 21s is he?

Disagree. From what i've seen league 2 at the most. And i'm not even sure he would start games in that division. Needs a loan spell desperately. Pretty sure the reason he hasn't been given a chance is simply because he hasn't developed as we would have liked. Hes not exactly scoring bucket loads in the under 21s is he?

No, but he seemed to do well in the spells he played for us last season. Did he go out on loan to anyone last year?

Weimann will be 100% fine in our old 4-3-3 system should we play it.

The reason Ince thrived was the high line we played up the pitch. Often in the final third and could come alive when on the ball.

Bennett, as others have said, just hasn't developed enough. He's strong, quick and direct, and as @SaintRam eluded to, made an impact from the bench last season, but I don't think he has improved technically. He still looks like his touch is too heavy. 

Physically he is ready, it's other parts of his game that isn't. I guess that's the major worry. As I said, a loan spell is desperately needed for him. Burton could be a good choice as they're now in League One.

No, but he seemed to do well in the spells he played for us last season. Did he go out on loan to anyone last year?

When? No he didn't.

Bennett is still playing like a kid when others around him are starting to mature in their game. Like you say Ambitious, physically he is ready, he's just making youthful mistakes. He needs to realise that he has to start making waves now, not in the future, but now.

He emerged around the same time as Will Hughes did he not? Speaks volumes.

I would now put Hughes in the experienced championship midfielder bracket. He would walk into most teams in this division.

Bennett hasn't even begun. Harsh but i think Callum Ball had more about him that Bennett does.

Hope im proved wrong.

He's been on loan to Chesterfield and Bradford i believe. Chesterfield spell was cut short due to injury? and Bradford set him back early.

Agree that all 3 of these should go out on loan until January, as well as Roos and maybe one or two others from the U21's

As far as Bennett goes, not sure it's fair to look at his stats really. The only time he had a run of games was as a 15/16 year old in a pretty poor team. He's still only 18 or whatever, plenty of time for him. Agree he probably hasn't progressed at the rate that was hoped, but think he just needs time.

As I've mentioned on here before, back when Clough first left, a friend of mine knows one of the staff who used to be at Sheff Utd, before Clough bought Garner etc in, and apparently Clough told them that Bennett was the superior footballer technically to Hughes (at the time) but Clough chose to stick with Hughes and allow Bennett to go back to youth football, because he said that Bennett didn't have the footballing brain and didn't really know his position.

If this is the case, then could maybe explain why his development has stagnated, and possibly in the new coaching set-up, with its background in youth development, may be able to bring on that side of his game. I think we've seen he's got the ability in the brief times we've seen him, against Chelsea, Ipswich in McClarens first game etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0lDtl2iWk 

1:23 is what Bennett is all about. He sends Alex Baptiste back to Blackpool. 

Thats exactly what I was thinking of when I said it, maybe it was isolated but if can improve the rest of his game he could be a monster.

As you say probably needs a lot of work technically though.

He could be the key next season, but he will need a good, if not very good preseason under his belt first.

Naaa. Cant see Bennett emerging this year and being key for the first team.

Waay down the pecking order. You have to remember at the minute he's behind Weimman, Russell, Martin, Bent, Ince (if he signs) Dawkins, Lowe, and arguably Calero.

He will be key only if we have several strikers out at the same time.

He may well emerge in 2 years or so but not yet. Thought it would have happened already, because he started being included in the first team match day squads as young as 15. Technically not there and needs game time at a lower league club desperately.

Archived