The Best Eleven Players That I saw play live for Derby County

Rampage

Grant

Wisdom, Barker, Buxton, Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes Bueno

Commons

Martin Bent

Diamond 4-4-2 was best fitting. Shows not only how good we had it decades ago but also how good we have it now, to have probably the best team we've had in about 10 years.

I've not been around much longer! Think mine would be (and some of these I have limited memory of):

Poom

Brayford, Riggot, buxton, Carbonari

Eranio, Huddlestone, Thorne, Hughes, Kinkladze

Martin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been around much longer! Think mine would be (and some of these I have limited memory of):

Poom

Brayford, Riggot, buxton, Carbonari

Eranio, Huddlestone, Thorne, Hughes, Kinkladze

Martin

See I was born in '95 but didn't get to go to a game until I was 12. I remember some little bits about players like Poom and Eranio and Carbonari but never saw them play live. I will never make any children I may have wait until they are on the cusp of adolescence to have the pleasure of watching the Rams.

Bywater

Connolly, Mills, Claude, McEverly

Murray, Savage, Twigg, 

John, Holdsworth, Theo

Brad Jones

Emerson Thome     Dave Walton     Darren Powell

Candido Costa     Pail Thirlwell     Premislaw Kazcmierczak     Darren Currie

Andrej Pereplotkins

Stern John     Nick Chadwick

Brad Jones

Andrej Pereplotkins

I was trying to put personal feelings aside when picking mine, generally going for players I thought were rather awful technically and playing well below the required level.

I could have gone for those that frustrated me most, like Kenny Miller, Mikkel Beck, Paul Thirwell and Tomasz Cywka but at least they had a little bit of ability - in someways - going for them.

I'm fairly confident my XI would be relegated from League One, let alone the Championship.

Reg Matthews

Jeff Barrowcliffe.       Roy Mac    Igor Stimac.       David Nish 

Archie          Bruce    Henry          Gladys        

Zac    

Charlie   

Cant believe no one has mentioned Paul Blades one of the most under rated full backs derby have had.The bloke had an engine like a rolls Royce and was as smooth as silk.Never put a foot wrong was an excellent player.Shame he is mostly forgotton nowadays also George Williams vastly underated.Probabley because nether scored a lot of goals but there play was great.

Cant believe no one has mentioned Paul Blades one of the most under rated full backs derby have had.The bloke had an engine like a rolls Royce and was as smooth as silk.Never put a foot wrong was an excellent player.Shame he is mostly forgotton nowadays also George Williams vastly underated.Probabley because nether scored a lot of goals but there play was great.

Paul Blades was a very good defender in his time at Derby your right.  

Had a few injuries mind I seem to remember .

Reg Matthews

Jeff Barrowcliffe.       Roy Mac    Igor Stimac.       David Nish 

Archie          Bruce    Henry          Gladys        

Zac    

Charlie   

..............blooming heck, Reg Matthews....................Bill Curry, Ray Swallow, Phil Waller, Les Moore, Eddie Thomas, Offilers Ales, Leys & Ewarts chimneys, trolley buses, Sam Adams tripe stall, the Co-Op cow and jumpers for goalposts!

..............blooming heck, Reg Matthews....................Bill Curry, Ray Swallow, Phil Waller, Les Moore, Eddie Thomas, Offilers Ales, Leys & Ewarts chimneys, trolley buses, Sam Adams tripe stall, the Co-Op cow and jumpers for goalposts!

You forgot Derek Draper , Jack Parry , Frank Upton and Biily Hughes lol

Heres another team 

les Green

Ron Webster.                  Peter Daniel.              Rob Hindmarch         John Robson. 

Gary Micklewhite.            John McGovern.       Geriant William's.         Leighton James. 

John OHare.                Alan Biley. 

Poom,

Laursen, Todd, McFarland, Nish

MacKay

Eranio  Gemmill   Asanovic

George     Hector

Picked mine and as I came on to post it, I see we're very close:

Poom

Langan   McFarland   Todd   Nish

Eranio    Daly    Gemmill   Asanovic

Hector    George 

When Gerry Daly first arrived, he single-handedly kept us up and looked the best midfielder in the world.Then D********y arrived. Shilton was always past it at Derby for me. Should have bought him 10 years earlier, even if he did play in a World Cup semifinal as a Ram, as did Mark Wright who would make my best Derby 11 players I've seen live, but we've been blessed with a lot of good centre halves in among that list. Heck, I even left out Igor and Taribo West...

Brad Jones

Andrej Pereplotkins

I am incredibly disappointed that you missed out Blessing Kaku, Eddie Lewis and Bob Malcolm but other than that, that team has everything.

Best 11 in position (as Ramnut threw down the challenge).

Poom, Langan, Stimac, Todd, Nish, Hughes, Thorne, Asanovic, Hinton, Martin, Hector (ok a bit of a contrived front 3)

Best 11 in terms of competence in their position

Pooom, Shilton, Stimac, Todd, Nish, Buckley, Asanovic, Eranio,Daly, Hinton, Hector. not sure what formation you could get out of that lot mind.

Picked mine and as I came on to post it, I see we're very close:

Poom

Langan   McFarland   Todd   Nish

Eranio    Daly    Gemmill   Asanovic

Hector    George 

When Gerry Daly first arrived, he single-handedly kept us up and looked the best midfielder in the world.Then D********y arrived. Shilton was always past it at Derby for me. Should have bought him 10 years earlier, even if he did play in a World Cup semifinal as a Ram, as did Mark Wright who would make my best Derby 11 players I've seen live, but we've been blessed with a lot of good centre halves in among that list. Heck, I even left out Igor and Taribo West...

Great minds thinks alike, Carl :)

I hesitated over Langan and Laursen.  I picked Jacob in the end because of his height (that may just be my memory at fault) his strength in the tackle and his shot (when he used it).  I just felt he was the steadier of the two.  Rod Thomas and Ronnie Webster also came to mind as two fine full backs, Ronnie especially.

Gerry Daly was a player who had bad luck I felt.  He was the star of a team on general decline (as the club was) and his skill and effort shone.  Well worth a mention in any greatest 11 discussion; very skilful even on the BBG pitch.  Left Man U to get away from D******y who then followed him to Derby.  Even from a distance you knew they didn't like each other.  It would have been great to have seen him in Dave Mackay's team or Jim Smith's (perhaps there's another topic there - which player from another time/team would you like to see in.....)

Agree on Shilton and Mark Wright. Todd and McFarland are the best pair of centre halves I have ever seen play together for any team, ever.  They go together which is why Igor misses out in my selection and Mackay was just.........indescribable!

What this topic and others like it always brings home to me are the sheer number of fantastic players - genuinely world class - that those of us who have been around a while have seen play for the Rams, especially in defence.  No wonder we all bang on about getting the defence right.  It's in our DNA youth

Best 11 in position (as Ramnut threw down the challenge).

Poom, Langan, Stimac, Todd, Nish, Hughes, Thorne, Asanovic, Hinton, Martin, Hector (ok a bit of a contrived front 3)

Best 11 in terms of competence in their position

Pooom, Shilton, Stimac, Todd, Nish, Buckley, Asanovic, Eranio,Daly, Hinton, Hector. not sure what formation you could get out of that lot mind.

I see the best 11 in terms of competence,has 2 goalkeepers in,now that is one sure way,of not conceding goals,but I doubt it will be allowed lol.

Archived