Support the Book

ronnieronalde

Hi Cisse, there are 3 people who I don't want or expect to donate and that's you and LadyRam for the huge help and support you gave me, I wouldn't have carried on without you and LR making me feel it was a worthy project. Also Daveo cos he's been good enough to let me use the forum for promotion.

All 3 of you will be getting a copy for free and it will be sent through with great pleasure.

Thanks Craig. You are very kind. However it has been a privilage to be part of this journey and have a chance to read parts of this book so early on so I'll still participate when I get money in mid July.

PS. I want an invitation as a VIP if the book turns into movie. :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should this pubslush thing not work out, let me know if there's another way..

I'm baffled by Ronnie's stance. If the book's good, a publisher would pay him to author it and take on all the editorial and design work. And do a huge amount to improve it and also organize PR and marketing. I'd say 99.99999999993% of self-published books sell fewer than 50 copies. There's really no need to ask a lot of fans to cough up thousands of pounds to turn it into a book when that's what publishers are there for.

I admit I have a vested interest in this sort of thing as a professional publisher and writer. It's not necessarily weird that someone would choose to self-publish, but that's almost always because the book's not good enough for a publishing house. But when they do self-publish, it doesn't have to cost very much money at all. It's normally a case of uploading files to one of the hosting websites that will turn it into an eBook and do a print-on-demand version if anyone wants a paper copy.

I'm baffled by Ronnie's stance. If the book's good, a publisher would pay him to author it and take on all the editorial and design work. And do a huge amount to improve it and also organize PR and marketing. I'd say 99.99999999993% of self-published books sell fewer than 50 copies. There's really no need to ask a lot of fans to cough up thousands of pounds to turn it into a book when that's what publishers are there for.

I admit I have a vested interest in this sort of thing as a professional publisher and writer. It's not necessarily weird that someone would choose to self-publish, but that's almost always because the book's not good enough for a publishing house. But when they do self-publish, it doesn't have to cost very much money at all. It's normally a case of uploading files to one of the hosting websites that will turn it into an eBook and do a print-on-demand version if anyone wants a paper copy.

I'm sorry Ronnie I post this before you have had a chance to do so. Also I'm not sure if you would tell this yourself but I was so offended for you and Brian Clough when I heard some of these publishers antics.

So thing is that this book would have been published a long ago if Ronnie would have accepted the publishers request and written **** about Brian Clough. Ronnie could have made money for himself and publisher too. Gladly this didn't happen.

And I assure you Carl that I'm not saying you or some other publisher is like this but some are.

I hope I haven't made you upset Ronnie by posting this. Please feel free to get this moderated if you feel like it.

I'm sorry Ronnie I post this before you have had a chance to do so. Also I'm not sure if you would tell this yourself but I was so offended for you and Brian Clough when I heard some of these publishers antics.

So thing is that this book would have been published a long ago if Ronnie would have accepted the publishers request and written **** about Brian Clough. Ronnie could have made money for himself and publisher too. Gladly this didn't happen.

And I assure you Carl that I'm not saying you or some other publisher is like this but some are.

I hope I haven't made you upset Ronnie by posting this. Please feel free to get this moderated if you feel like it.

Oh, and the book is good. I don't know about the grammer and editorial things from publishers side butthe story and emotion of it is golden.

Cisse - it's good of you to leap to Ronnie's defence, but there's no need. I don't doubt some publishers would like a sensationalist account of whatever the story is, but the majority are simply happy for a good story, and if it's a feel-good tale about Brian (and some boy) then that's fine. Books are copyright of the author and have the author's name on the cover, so a publisher can't force Ronnie to write what he doesn't want to. But they can help improve the writing and structure of the narrative. But to get a publisher of course you generally need to get a literary agent and they're working for the author, so it's for them to insist that the publisher produces a book that matches Ronnie's aspirations. If he can't get an agent, I'm just saying that implies the book's not worth spending thousands of pounds on to self-publish when essentially that can be done for free.

Cisse - it's good of you to leap to Ronnie's defence, but there's no need. I don't doubt some publishers would like a sensationalist account of whatever the story is, but the majority are simply happy for a good story, and if it's a feel-good tale about Brian (and some boy) then that's fine. Books are copyright of the author and have the author's name on the cover, so a publisher can't force Ronnie to write what he doesn't want to. But they can help improve the writing and structure of the narrative. But to get a publisher of course you generally need to get a literary agent and they're working for the author, so it's for them to insist that the publisher produces a book that matches Ronnie's aspirations. If he can't get an agent, I'm just saying that implies the book's not worth spending thousands of pounds on to self-publish when essentially that can be done for free.

You are right that it would have been and still would be great if Ronnie could find a publisher that would be happy to publish the book with the story that exists. Because I bet that if written with the right way this book would sell a lot.

Sorry about my rant there but I was really pissed when I heard what the publishers in question wanted in return to publish the book.

HI Carl,

Perhaps I should have come back to you last time, I appreciated your input then but didn't really get around to following up.

I may be making all kinds of mistakes, I wish i was better at this than I am. I HAVEN'T looked for an agent, I've used my contacts to get the book in front of a couple of publishers in its rough format and was just a bit disappointed with what they came back with. both in terms of what they wanted me to add to the book but also down to how much per copy would be left at the end of it.

In addition to that, the work needed to get it to the stage where an agent would take it on, it would need to be polished AND finished fully. I'm STILL changing/adding/moving chapters around now, so wanted the freedom of not working to a publishing deadline. Now of course I'm under huge pressure to finish and to stop touching it up.

In terms of moving forward, once I'd decided to self publish, I've tried to get it done as cheaply as possible but wanted badly to go down the route of printing and not just offering an ebook. I got quotes from all over the globe for editing etc, it's more than 80.000 words (and still growing).

It's not ideal me asking people for money up front and it wasn't my intention to do it that way, I hope it doesn't change the way people view it. I'm trying to do it for all the right reasons but STILL find it all a bit overwhelming.

The only thing I do know is that once the book is in front of someone, even the rough version, the huge majority of them come back with brilliant feedback and so far I've not had anyone tell me it's not good. With that in mind I want to get it in front of as many people as I can.

I was also told by a professional/serial self publisher that if I self publish there is still a chance a publisher would take on the book.

Thanks for jumping in though Carl, I don't mind that at all and appreciate the fact you're trying to guide me a little bit!

I'm struggling a bit with the website.

also after several recent cloning incidents with my credit card i'm reluctant right now to post those details on yet another website with unknown security.

can mr sagan help you to get it published?

I'm struggling a bit with the website.

also after several recent cloning incidents with my credit card i'm reluctant right now to post those details on yet another website with unknown security.

can mr sagan help you to get it published?

The website should be fairly straight forward RamNut but you're not the first to tell me it's not clear!

From the link there is a green support this project box, that will then push you to the "rewards" page where you enter the amount and your details.

As for the cloning thing, sorry about that, it's a real pain in the arse when it happens and I've been a victim of it as well.

Pubslush is fairly well renowned platform though RN and I've got a couple of author "colleagues" who've used it a couple of times with no issues.

I do understand though that there will be those who don't feel comfortable, don't worry at all if you can't do it, I won't be judging anyone who doesn't contribute :-)

I'll PM Carl, I'm not shy when it comes to asking for help as you may have already noticed ;-)

Archived