Our day with Mel Morris

David

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was bryson there ?hope he wernt saying his farewells

A quick weigh and health check before he headed out on a short break, very much in next seasons plans. As for Martin, looks very well, on track for start of pre season, all muscle and no fat, just a unit.

Please please please Mel don't invite RLACML -JW- and davenportram at the same time as me (just in case) I just want to avoid them. Many thanks DEL.

Tell you what though, we had the chance to keep Clement talking and we all stood there like starstruck teenagers. 

Be alright but we'd already met Steele and Bryson and had been chatting to Mel for the tour of the complex...

Bit gutted about that. 

The most reassuring thing for me is he spoke about having a philosophy in place. Everyone that comes into the club has to fit into that philosophy. Mel was dead keen to talk about leadership. About setting the right example. 

He's a Derby fan. He is a Derby fan too. If he spoke about something he didn't like then he'd call it ****. He's come in, put his money where his mouth is and has a goal in mind. No nonsense 

And it's not this Tom Glick global brand. He's setting "The Derby way". A style of football from the kids to the seniors. A specific type of player brought in. A specific type of coach. Leaders are important to him. 

Think I realised that a certain amount of... meddling? (need a better word) is neccessary to avoid any upheaval. For Derby to run like a well oiled machine you need to have parameters set. So where this manager or that player might be available, he has to fit in. No manager will come in and rule it. Like Mel said, he can't. It needs to be a smooth running vehicle and nobody has the time or skills to cover everything. Certain things will be put in place. Certain codes and certain people doing the jobs they're good at. 

Mel Morris is dead set on this Derby way. You look around the facilities, listen to him talk and realise what he's putting into it, him and others. Paul Clement wasn't brought in to lead the way. He just conforms to it. Lots of cogs all turning the same way. They won't stop without Clement and they didn't stop without McClaren. 

That's not to say hes taking power. He's letting everyone do what they can do but they have to fit. 

As well as having the Newcastle distraction I think McClaren was in a position where he ticked less boxes than Clement. Mel spoke of not instant success but more about growth. Constant growth. 

McClaren's goal was instant impact. A lot of good stuff happened in his 20 (?)months. Mel supported McClaren. But just a couple of niggles here and there that didn't really fit the leadership and club integration... bye bye, good luck. 

Please please please Mel don't invite RLACML -JW- and davenportram at the same time as me (just in case) I just want to avoid them. Many thanks DEL.

Dont worry if you were going I would be on my best behaviour and make sure I spoke clearly and concisely. I might even be polite and courteous too, just like you should be when meeting, talking to or about someone you dont actually know.

Travelling back now, couple things for you.

They are building a replica iPro pitch but is made from (help me out here) same material Bournemouths pitch. They are not happy with the state of the iPro pitch, can't roll a ball without it bobbling. Didn't have the time to install this duplon or what's it called at the iPro ready for next season.

2x 200 seater stands are going up for the U21, U18 games as well as CCTV so they can record training sessions.

Club are facing a constant battle to be a Cat 1 as they only really want Prem Clubs at that level.

A new 5 a side pitch has been installed, black with a big ram on.

Mel invested more on top of his investment to improve the facilities, he really wants to build the club both on and off the pitch to attract players.

Plaza not on the horizon.

Injuries were a key part of last seasons downfall and is something they are really looking into. Lee Grant played on despite carrying an injury, tore a muscle in his knee. 

Kelle Roos sounds like he's off out to get some games under his belt. They wanted 2 number 1's fighting for the shirt, Roos not ready yet. Really likes Carson, a player that takes each game as they come, people take the piss out of him but the way he is, is a strength.

Signings are being made based on character and ability, a lot was said about unity in the dressing room, if they brought in Ronaldo for example the balance wouldn't be right.

With the forum he finds it entertaining, can get annoyed when rumours surface that the club want to keep quiet as it can drive the price up. Something the club is looking to tighten up. 

Understands we are all fans, appreciates all suggestions and feedback, monitors the forum and does take things on board. Also isn't bothered what people call him unless it's libellous that can cause the club and its players problems. Thinks fans should understand this if they support the club and think a bit more before posting.

Was really down to earth, didn't feel like PR spin at any time. Longer post than I meant to start. Oh and Bryson is tiny!

Travelling back now, couple things for you.

They are building a replica iPro pitch but is made from (help me out here) same material Bournemouths pitch. They are not happy with the state of the iPro pitch, can't roll a ball without it bobbling. Didn't have the time to install this duplon or what's it called at the iPro ready for next season.

2x 200 seater stands are going up for the U21, U18 games as well as CCTV so they can record training sessions.

Club are facing a constant battle to be a Cat 1 as they only really want Prem Clubs at that level.

A new 5 a side pitch has been installed, black with a big ram on.

Mel invested more on top of his investment to improve the facilities, he really wants to build the club both on and off the pitch to attract players.

Plaza not on the horizon.

Injuries were a key part of last seasons downfall and is something they are really looking into. Lee Grant played on despite carrying an injury, tore a muscle in his knee. 

Kelle Roos sounds like he's off out to get some games under his belt. They wanted 2 number 1's fighting for the shirt, Roos not ready yet. Really likes Carson, a player that takes each game as they come, people take the piss out of him but the way he is, is a strength.

Signings are being made based on character and ability, a lot was said about unity in the dressing room, if they brought in Ronaldo for example the balance wouldn't be right.

With the forum he finds it entertaining, can get annoyed when rumours surface that the club want to keep quiet as it can drive the price up. Something the club is looking to tighten up. 

Understands we are all fans, appreciates all suggestions and feedback, monitors the forum and does take things on board. Also isn't bothered what people call him unless it's libellous that can cause the club and its players problems. Thinks fans should understand this if they support the club and think a bit more before posting.

Was really down to earth, didn't feel like PR spin at any time. Longer post than I meant to start. Oh and Bryson is tiny!

Very interesting about Grant being injured, I wonder if it affected his form towards the end of the season. 

McClaren's goal was instant impact. A lot of good stuff happened in his 20 (?)months. Mel supported McClaren. But just a couple of niggles here and there that didn't really fit the leadership and club integration... bye bye, good luck. 

This was the one thing that stood out for me, Mac's target, set by the board,of which Morris wasn't a part at the time, was promotion, nothing more or less.

Clements goal is somewhat different, solid measurable progress throughout the entire club, easily measurable and not just at the sharp end. 

If Clement meets these targets, league position and points tally is irrelevant, meet the objectives and promotion becomes a by product of the progress, rather than the goal.

Very interesting about Grant being injured, I wonder if it affected his form towards the end of the season. 

He alluded to this, the injury didnt allow him the height he needed on jumping to claim high balls into the box.

Archived