Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could easily see Buxton and Albentosa leave for Sheffield and Betis respectively. Shotton will join the Rose and Crown Sunday seconds. Keogh will be kept for CB/RB cover and might even become a regular at RB with Shackell & Pearce in the middle. I think we need LB cover and Warnock might survive, but I'd like a better option. 

All speculation of course but the defence needs a real shake-up. We can't go into this season with echoes of last year hanging around.

If there is any substance to this story, who's down the road ? Obviously the speculation about Albentosa suggests it could be him but I'm not convinced it might necessarily be him, interesting times ahead I think. 

​If Shackell comes back as captain that would suggest Keogh off, and the story saying we want him to Partner Pearce hints at that too IF the is any truth in it

​If Shackell comes back as captain that would suggest Keogh off, and the story saying we want him to Partner Pearce hints at that too IF the is any truth in it​

​​​That had crossed my mind whiterose although Anag Ram gave me food for thought with his suggestion Keogh might be shifted to right back which is quite plausible. 

Personally, the football I have enjoyed the last couple of years requires that the centre backs are able to play out from the back and if necessary carry the ball out. This requires personnel with an aptitude, a tendency to do that.  Shackell is decent but he favours Hollywood passes. Albentosa favours the long ball out. Neither will be seen bringing the ball out from the back. ..................... On that basis........................I'm out!

Signing Shackell would be unbelievable. Might have to be a big bid? I'd happily sell Albentosa to Betis to fund it - that is a move that benefits both parties!

But is there nothing more on it than the 'Sunday People'...?

​How long on his contract? To be fair he's 31, so wouldn't command a stupid fee. 

Signing Shackell would be unbelievable. Might have to be a big bid? I'd happily sell Albentosa to Betis to fund it - that is a move that benefits both parties!

But is there nothing more on it than the 'Sunday People'...?

Was in the Lancashire Telegraph about a month ago 

@derbydaniel: Sunday People is reporting #dcfc want Jason Shackell to return to the club & partner new signing Alex Pearce in defence #dcfcfans

?

​Fans. They missed out 'fans' in the first line.

Should have read "Sunday People is reporting #dcfcfans want Jason Shackell….

Silly proofreader.

If all these rumours about changes at the back are true (big if) then it’s beginning to look like an attempt to address symptoms rather cause.

All players fluctuate in form and we can always improve the first team - and I do wonder if Christie’s confidence is shot- but up until the end of February our existing defence was doing well enough for us to be in an automatic promotion position. Earlier in the season we even equalled the club’s all-time record of consecutive clean sheets. This was accomplished with a team that most would say wasn’t firing on all cylinders compared to the previous season.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/richard-keogh-not-resting-on-his-laurels-after-bagging-20th-clean-sheet-2294255.aspx

If we’re going to address the main cause of the defensive problems last season then we need to get Thorne properly fixed, get a really solid replacement for Eustace as backup for Thorne, and give Jamie Hanson time to develop his first team confidence in case we find ourselves in same position as last season.

Archived