Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

I'm not sure I understand how a £7 million loss that your owners are "comfortable supporting" according to Sam Rush, can be described as not an actual loss but I'd be happy to be educated on it.  Conversely without promotion we would have posted a £300k profit for that same season (as it was promotion bonuses and promotion transfer clauses saw us lose over £7 million too but Prem money more than fixed that). 

To be honest if I was in your shoes I wouldn't really care what others were saying.  You're spending more money than your club is making, why bother trying to justify it?  You get more praise from the neutrals and the media for going about it within your means or "the right way" as they tend to put it.  But at the end of the day do you follow Derby for the media and neutrals praise?  Or because they're your team and you want to see them win?  If you're happy with how you're operating what does it matter?

We'd need @ramblur to help out here BUT it's something to do with depreciation of assets and the fact that the majority of 'assets' which a football club has wouldn't be considered 'assets' elsewhere PLUS there are 'theoretical' spends which have to be counted against the balance sheet as a loss BUT doesn't actually costs the club money...

Basically... there is no proof that we've been spending more than we make in recent seasons...

13-14 team:

Grant - Free

Wisdom, Keogh, Bucko, Fozzy - Approx £1.3m

The Eust, Bryson, Hughes - Approx £450k

Ward, Martin, Russell - Approx. £1m

Total spend - Approx. £2.75m

15-16 potential team:

Grant - Free

Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Fozzy - Approx. £5.5m

Bryson, Thorne, Hughes - Approx. £2.5m

Ince, Martin, Weimmnn - Approx. £7m

Total - Approx. £15m

I've gone for the more expensive option in each position btw instead of putting Russell in ahead of Ince etc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first XI that season was...

Heaton – Free

Trippier - £400k

Mee - £200k

Shackell - £1.1m

Duff - £35k

Arfield – Free

Jones – Free

Marney - £750k

Kightly – Loan

Ings - £750k

Vokes - £350k

So roughly £3.6 million.  What was yours?

Compare to ours now...

Heaton - Free

Lowton - £1m

Ward - £400k

Mee - £200k

Keane - £3m

Boyd - £3m

Jones - Free

Ulvestad/Taylor - Free

Arfield - Free

Vokes - £350k

Vossen - £2.5m

So around £10.45m.  What's yours this season?

Hopefully there's probably going to be a couple more signings before so that figure is likely to go up.

By 'that season' I presume you mean the one where you finished second and us third?

2013/14:

Grant - Free

Wisdom - Loan

Keogh - 1.1 mil

Buxton - nominal from non-league Burton

Forsyth - about 150k

Eustace/Thorne - free/loan

Bryson - 400k

Hughes - Academy

Ward/Bamford - 300k/loan

Russell - 750k

Martin - Free

Total: £2.8mil plus loan fees if any.

2015/16:

Grant/Carson - Free/200k

Christie/Baird - 250k/Free

Keogh/Pearce - 1.1mil/Free

Shackell - up to £3mil

Forsyth - 150k

Thorne - 2mil

Hughes - Academy

Hendrick - Academy

Ince - 4.75mil

Weimann - 2.5mil

Martin - Free

Total: up to £14mil.

I've gone for the more expensive option in each position btw instead of putting Russell in ahead of Ince etc

I'm aware I'm veering wildly off topic with this so apologies.

I've done the same to an extent, I could have put Duff in place of Keane, or Kightly instead of Boyd for example but I went for our first XI.  Our most expensive would be around 13.75m so very similar to yours.

It's interesting because the achievements/league positions of our two clubs have been very similar the past 3/4 years (one place in promotion) bu we've taken very different approaches.  Ignoring this preseason it looks like you've had a settled, slowly built squad whilst we've had a more "wheeler dealer" approach forced on us by the need to sell players regularly (£7m for Fletcher,£7.5m for Rodriguez,£4m for Austin) but the transfer costs are similar.

I'm looking forward to finding out how this season goes, we've both seen quite a lot of changes (some enforced, some voluntary),  I wonder who will adjust quicker.

I'm looking forward to finding out how this season goes, we've both seen quite a lot of changes (some enforced, some voluntary),  I wonder who will adjust quicker.

Yeh should be a good season... I see Hull, Boro, Our Two and a surprise package (not sure who yet) as the main contenders...

Think we've strenghtened more than changed this season... Same kinda players and same sort of mentality but with a little more strength in depth and no reliance on loans...

That said... Just counted an we only have 22 first team players in our squad still!

A couple of us on here have. And another couple don't understand how gambling works. 

It's the wearing of Ham around the neck right? and like the Youf do you have to put the words together like "Kimye" and all that...

Gammon-Bling = Gambling

Right?

And then it just works bu sitting round your neck and then (after a while) getting a bit smelly...

It's the wearing of Ham around the neck right? and like the Youf do you have to put the words together like "Kimye" and all that...

Gammon-Bling = Gambling

Right?

And then it just works bu sitting round your neck and then (after a while) getting a bit smelly...

Trying too hard, dude

Has anyone had that sky bet for shakell to score 5 championship goals at 50/1 worth a punt.

Geez that's a hard website to navigate...  Eventually found the bet and stuck £5 on Shackell to score 5 this season :)

Archived